Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Steel Gravel Bike Shopping List

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 03-19-22, 05:56 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts

Starting the search. Already considering Breezer, Black Mountain, All-City, Chumba, and Kona, but looking for other ideas. I'll most likely end up buying frame & fork, but open to completes. Budget: $1000 - $2000 f/f or $2500 - $4000 complete.

Non-negotiable:
  • Steel frame
  • 1X drivetrain (if complete)
  • Flat mount brakes (hydro, if complete)
  • Thru-axle
  • 650b compatible

Preferences (negotiable):
  • Steel fork
  • Sliding dropouts
  • Non-Shimano drivetrain (if complete)
  • Non-SRAM brakes (if complete)

What's out there I should look at? Unusual/small builder/boutique especially welcome. USA availability.

Many thanks.

Last edited by Rolla; 03-19-22 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-19-22, 06:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10899 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
You should specify if the listed budget is for frame and fork or full build.

I ride a Fairlight Secan which is an 843 main frame, shaped 4130 stays, and a carbon fork. The fit and finish are excellent as they should be with so much design and thought put into the frame.
Fairlight's Faran uses 631 for the main triangle and fork, and shaped 4130 for the stays.

What I appreciate is that they list each tube's butting. They don't act like the bikes will be incredibly light and you can see the details, which is way more revealing than most any other production brand.

They offer a ton of sizes, 650b works fine, and the bikes are easy to work on by design(external cables).

If either frame interests you, take the time to scroll thru each frame's lookbook to see all the design and features.
Old 03-19-22, 07:34 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

I ride a Fairlight Secan which is an 843 main frame, shaped 4130 stays, and a carbon fork. The fit and finish are excellent as they should be with so much design and thought put into the frame.
Fairlight's Faran uses 631 for the main triangle and fork, and shaped 4130 for the stays.

What I appreciate is that they list each tube's butting. They don't act like the bikes will be incredibly light and you can see the details, which is way more revealing than most any other production brand.

They offer a ton of sizes, 650b works fine, and the bikes are easy to work on by design(external cables).

If either frame interests you, take the time to scroll thru each frame's lookbook to see all the design and features.
Yeah, for the price, that is a bike that is hard to beat. Do they ship to the USA? The other option could be a Ribble if you want to spend much less (and step down on the tubes).
Old 03-19-22, 07:52 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
State Bicycle 4130 checks all those boxes except sliding dropouts, and is pretty much the only good value bike left. My LBS actually just started selling them since their usual distributor has screwed them on bikes, and I was really impressed with the paint jobs and overall build of the bike for $900. Test ride around the block was not entirely fair since the 27.5" / 650 Barzos with tubes were pumped way up, and it's been a long time since I road a mechanical disc. The Sensah levers should be able to pull an HY/RD or Juin Tech hydraulic caliper though if you want to upgrade that. Only question mark is the s the long term reliability of the Sensah brifter.
Old 03-19-22, 08:41 PM
Rolla

Thanks. I fixed the budget numbers as you suggested, and I have wiggle room for the right bike.

Appreciate the Fairlight recommendation. I'll look into them.
Old 03-19-22, 08:45 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by zen_
State Bicycle 4130 checks all those boxes except sliding dropouts, and is pretty much the only good value bike left.
State is a good value for sure, but I'm looking for something more high end this time. Thanks!
Old 03-19-22, 09:18 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
I’ve been following Cotic Cycles out of the UK for probably 15 years because of a supercool bike they used to make called the Roadrat. It was, insofar as I am aware, a unique evolutionary branch of MTB, but also and unfortunately, an evolutionary dead-end. It morphed into the Escapade about 20 years ago, a bike which was also ahead of its time, but got lucky with the “gravel” trend and lives on today, better than it ever was before, even though they shifted production out of house and to Taiwan. There were definitely upsides to doing so, like tech advancements and lower weight, and they retained their wishbone rear end, but I’m also sure it helped them keep cost super competitive in it’s segment: a 1x Apex HRD build is about $2.3k USD, and tolling chassis (frameset +wheels) start at £939.

Escapade doesn’t have sliding dropouts nor a steel fork (anymore), but Cotic does all the builds in house and will customize to taste, so you can get 650b right out the gate and have them swap out the Apex calipers for Hope RX4+ if you want and still be well inside your price range.

https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/escapade#bike
Likes For chaadster:
Old 03-20-22, 04:14 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
^^^^^
+1 for Cotic. I owned a Cotic Soul which i deeply regret selling.. John
Old 03-20-22, 08:04 AM
Rolla

Originally Posted by chaadster
Very cool -- thank you!
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-20-22, 10:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10899 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
I geek on steel, so in addition to the Fairlight options mentioned yesterday, here are some more options. None fit your list perfectly, but it never hurts to look and consider what is out there. These all use quality steel and are a bit more boutique than the brands you initially mentioned.
The list has a wide range of geometry so these definitely aren't all race or all slow roll drinking geometry.

Ritchey Outback- Ritchey Tange tubing, 650b compatible, thru axle, 1x, flatmount. Carbon fork.

Twin6 Rando- unbranded tubing(reviews have shown it is competitive in weight though) , 650b compatible, thru axle, 1x, flatmount, steel fork.

Rondo Ruut ST- Tange tubing, 650b compatible, thru axle, 1x, flatmount. Carbon fork. Variable geometey.
Rondo has another model too- Bogan.

Otso Warakin- Stainless steel tubing, 650b compatible, thru axle, 1x, flatmount, variable geometey and chainstay lenghts. Carbon fork.

Curve Kevin of Steel- Columbus Zona tubing, 650b compatible, thru axle, 1x, flatmount. Carbon fork. Aussie brand, so definitely unique stateside.

Brother Mehteh- Reynolds 725 tubing, 650b compatible, thru axle, 1x, flatmount. Carbon fork.
Brother makes another option with a steel fork- Kepler. It's unbranded 4130 tubing, just fyi.

Mason InSearchOf- mix of 853 and Dedacciai Zero tubing, 650b compatible, thru axle, 1x, flatmount. Carbon fork.

Enigma Endeavour- mix of Reynolds and Columbus tubing, 650b compatible, thru axle, 1x, flatmount. Carbon fork. High end of listed budget, but a cool option so it's worth mentioning.

Genesis Croix De Fur, Fugio, and Vagabond- three different framesets all made with quality Reynolds 853 or 725 tubing. 650b, thru axle, 1x, and flatmount. One has a steel fork. Availability isn't known for a couple, but maybe email to see.
Old 03-20-22, 11:46 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Gunnar Hyper-X?
Old 03-20-22, 06:45 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Based on your criteria I'd go either Jamis Renegade (great value) or Ritchey Outback (rated most compliant steel gravel bike). I am contemplating a Ritchey build right now actually as a backup gravel bike. I would also recommend you go with a carbon fork for better ride quality in gravel.

If you are going to build yourself then I suggest you start accumulating components now as it may take time to find everything you are looking for.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 03-20-22, 07:09 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
I'm in the Milwaukee area..soo..Milwaukee Cycle. Frame is built by Waterford Cycles. Checks most of your boxes. I've seen the bikes and they do look nice. It's marketed as "cyclocross" and not "gravel". Specs are there...

https://www.milwaukeebicycleco.com/m...ruaxle-20834/p
Old 03-20-22, 07:42 PM
zen_

Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
State is a good value for sure, but I'm looking for something more high end this time. Thanks!
A couple others to consider, in addition to what's been mentioned:

1. Ribble CGR 725
2. Brother Mehteh
3. Singlebe custom (I was quoted $3,200 euro for a GRX 810 build in 2020)
4. Jamis Renegade S1 - Just putting it on here because this is what I ride and it's the only bike I have been 100% happy with, but GL getting one now

For a burly 650b build, the Brother frameset would certainly be high on my list, and it ships in 1 month (from UK).
Old 03-20-22, 07:55 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by dwmckee
Ritchey Outback

If you are going to build yourself then I suggest you start accumulating components now as it may take time to find everything you are looking for.
Thanks for the excellent Ritchey suggestion. I've got some parts of my own that I can move around as well as a QBP account, so I think I can get most everything lined up by the time a frame shows up.
Old 03-20-22, 07:58 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by fishboat
I'm in the Milwaukee area..soo..Milwaukee Cycle. Frame is built by Waterford Cycles.
I love Ben's Cycles and Waterford! Thank you!
Old 03-21-22, 01:11 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
... I would also recommend you go with a carbon fork for better ride quality in gravel.
​​​​​​Several articles say that a steel fork is more "compliant", they offer more vertical flex. I've also seen videos where people swap to a steel fork as they can feel the difference when riding over 50 miles on gravel.

How a fork was designed should make the most difference, regardless of material. Like frames, not all forks are created equal.
Old 03-21-22, 09:11 AM
Rolla

Brother Mehteh- Reynolds 725 tubing, 650b compatible, thru axle, 1x, flatmount. Carbon fork.
Originally Posted by zen_
Brother Mehteh

Thanks! The Mehteh certainly checks a lot of boxes -- nice looking bike!
Old 03-21-22, 09:15 AM
Rolla

Originally Posted by mprince
Gunnar Hyper-X?

Looks great, and I love all the options they offer. Geo might be more racy than I'm looking for, but many thanks!
Old 03-21-22, 09:22 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I love Ben's Cycles and Waterford! Thank you!
Or you could get a Gunnar Hyper-X, built by Waterford. They offer a very large range of standard sizes, pick-your-paint color and other options. You can get one with a steel fork for under $2k...cf fork will push it just over that mark.

Edit: sorry, missed the fact that you had just commented on this option!

Last edited by Koyote; 03-21-22 at 09:26 AM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-21-22, 10:19 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Regarding the Ritchey Outback: They are rated the most compliant. But there is a point at which compliance becomes noodlness. Where that line is, I'm not sure.

As for me, I went with Rodriguez Phinny Ridge Bandito with the ultralight ThermLX steel option. Which is basically comparable with Reynolds's 853 & the top tube is undersized but then drawn to a different non-round shape for strength. The 200 gram penalty (1946 grams) is largely in the chainstays for lateral stiffness. Still, not bad for a size 57 frame.

To that, I added Stan's Grail rims (300 grams each,) an Ax-lightness Ergo 4200 handlebar, & Leaf Plus saddle, a Darimo seatpost & Sub 4 gram clamp, Extralite headset, spacers & stem. CarbonWorks bottle cages.

I'm still waiting for Extralite to offer their HyperRear3 hub before I build the wheels. Hedging my bets: I'm also waiting for a White Industries hub. Whichever arrives first gets to be built.

It has been 20 weeks since I ordered the THM Clavicula SE crankset. So, in the mean time, to make the bike rideable, I installed a Quarq D4 & some Mavic Aksum wheels equipped with Shutter Precision dynamo & Powertap hub.

I intentionally gave up 150-200 grams to use a WoundUp fork that allowed 180mm rotors. This was to be made up with Gevenalle shifters, but unfortunately, they had a parts shortage on hydraulic post mount availability. A used set of heavy AF Dura-Ace 9100 hydro/mechanical's mated to XTR calipers is what I settled on.

The bike is 20.3 pounds as ridden with pedals, but will easily be sub 17 pounds with the wheels & crankset swapped to as intended configuration.
Old 03-21-22, 10:57 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Regarding the Ritchey Outback: They are rated the most compliant. But there is a point at which compliance becomes noodlness. Where that line is, I'm not sure.

As for me, I went with Rodriguez Phinny Ridge Bandito with the ultralight ThermLX steel option. Which is basically comparable with Reynolds's 853 & the top tube is undersized but then drawn to a different non-round shape for strength. The 200 gram penalty (1946 grams) is largely in the chainstays for lateral stiffness. Still, not bad for a size 57 frame.

To that, I added Stan's Grail rims (300 grams each,) an Ax-lightness Ergo 4200 handlebar, & Leaf Plus saddle, a Darimo seatpost & Sub 4 gram clamp, Extralite headset, spacers & stem. CarbonWorks bottle cages.

I'm still waiting for Extralite to offer their HyperRear3 hub before I build the wheels. Hedging my bets: I'm also waiting for a White Industries hub. Whichever arrives first gets to be built.

It has been 20 weeks since I ordered the THM Clavicula SE crankset. So, in the mean time, to make the bike rideable, I installed a Quarq D4 & some Mavic Aksum wheels equipped with Shutter Precision dynamo & Powertap hub.

I intentionally gave up 150-200 grams to use a WoundUp fork that allowed 180mm rotors. This was to be made up with Gevenalle shifters, but unfortunately, they had a parts shortage on hydraulic post mount availability. A used set of heavy AF Dura-Ace 9100 hydro/mechanical's mated to XTR calipers is what I settled on.

The bike is 20.3 pounds as ridden with pedals, but will easily be sub 17 pounds with the wheels & crankset swapped to as intended configuration.
But the Rodriguez looks to be outside of the OP's price range, no?
Old 03-21-22, 12:45 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts

That’s a Ritchey Swiss Cross V2. Archer Trail wireless shifting, TRP Hylex RS brakes, and Stan’s Crest wheels.

I use an 11sp 10-42 cassette with a 40t ring. With the way Archer works, I could pretty easily switch to 10 or 12 speed if I wanted to.

I’ll probably put my 100mm dropper on it one of these days.

I have had the bike under 20lbs but I keep adding weight, the Archer is a little heavier than Sram mechanical and the dropper is a lot heavier than a carbon post.

This bike is rated to 40mm tires but 42/3 would easily fit. The way the chainstay is designed, I’m not sure you’d gain much, if anything, by switching to 650b.

The Outback is basically the same thing but for wider tires.

On your budget, maybe look at the Ritte Satyr, Tom Kellogg for the 2020’s.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 03-21-22, 02:07 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
But the Rodriguez looks to be outside of the OP's price range, no?
Only because I picked the second most premium option. The generic 725 steel is now about $1900, I think, so maybe a touch on the higher side. But I don't think it used to be. It's the "custom" part that definitely drives the price.

He'd have to inquire with them about the various options. The Ritchey has the potential to be the better option in both price & weight if you don't care about custom fit or frame stiffness.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 03-21-22, 02:24 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by base2
The Ritchey has the potential to be the better option in both price & weight if you don't care about custom fit or frame stiffness.
Thanks for the input. At $3800 complete, I could swing a Phinney Ridge Classic. Frame stiffness isn't an issue I'm going to worry about much. Ritchey is ascending rapidly on my short list.
Likes For Rolla:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.