Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Importance Of Bike Chains

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Importance Of Bike Chains

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-22, 05:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but what's with this type of thread?
Google the OP’s user name. It’s an ebike company.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-22-22, 05:14 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Make sure you use a reliable link regardless of the brand of chain. You don't want the chain to fall off and get run over by a car.
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-22-22, 05:38 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by seypat
Make sure you use a reliable link regardless of the brand of chain. You don't want the chain to fall off and get run over by a car.
I see what you did there.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-22-22, 06:44 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Everybody was a newbie at some point...the problem here is that some of these newbies post or ask something silly and never ever come back to participate in the topic which they started. Another serious issue is newbies gives training, nutrition and bike handling advice.
I was referring to koala logs’ comment about “pandemic of useless threads”. koala logs hasn’t been here long and doesn’t seem to understand that (mostly) useless (and repetitive) threads are just a way of life here.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-22-22, 07:09 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,028 Times in 4,469 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
I'm assuming it's posted by an algorithm, rather than an actual human. For what reason I don't really know, if it's not trying to leave spam links. The original text is here: News - Bicycle maintenance and repair – chain brush (bicycle-tools.com)

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Google the OP’s user name. It’s an ebike company.
Thanks for the explanations. When I read the OP it's clearly from Bizzaroland.
Old 07-22-22, 07:16 AM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked 2,235 Times in 1,050 Posts
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 07-22-22, 07:33 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
This chain failure was important in the TDF a few days ago. Sent the rider home with an injury.

https://www.flobikes.com/events/7206...laying=7913209
Old 07-22-22, 07:43 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,407 Times in 2,746 Posts
I don't know what it will take for the mods to get rid of this annoying spambot. You'd think they'd object to the effort to get free advertising. Anyway, I suggest folks punch the report button early and often each time it posts. Maybe some critical mass can be achieved.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-22-22, 08:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-22-22, 08:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I've been experimenting with this pre-waxed chain:

Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-22-22, 08:34 AM
indyfabz

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-22-22, 08:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
I go through tires and tubes a little faster than I do chains. So the first sentence of the OP is false.

Along with the fact that I've not had any troublesome issues with a chain. Other than on my old Western Auto bike the chain guard kept getting bent up and rubbed on the chain till I finally took it off and left it off.

As another member pointed out, chains are wear items. They get replaced when they are about to become trouble.
Old 07-22-22, 08:57 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
I agree that the Bike Chain is very important for the smooth riding of the environment. If there would be a dirty Bike Chain the bicycle will become tangled in the Cycling Pants.
Likes For badger1:
Old 07-22-22, 12:16 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
I'm assuming it's posted by an algorithm, rather than an actual human. For what reason I don't really know, if it's not trying to leave spam links. The original text is here: News - Bicycle maintenance and repair – chain brush (bicycle-tools.com)

It's one of those bare bones websites run by companies that usually sell on Aliexpress/eBay and is probably translated from Chinese. Chains don't get "stained" in the traditional sense, nor are they usually "tangled" if they're connected as a single piece and in place within the drivetrain.

Maybe it's posted by a human working in a second or third language? Who--or what--ever posted it did actually trim the language down a little from the original, in that they left out some of the wackier translated text which is on the verge of being acceptable grammatically and logically, but just doesn't get over the line:

"At present, there are more and more people riding bicycles. Every time they see a rider passing by, they always feel a sense of joy. Cycling can add fun to busy urban life. It can not only exercise, recuperate body and mind, but also Get to know more riders while riding, and bring the happiness of cycling to our life. However, many riders do not have much knowledge of bicycle maintenance, and sometimes it is even a thorny issue."

God knows, but whatever it is, it seems tamer than the insane Korean spambot that used to terrorize the MTBR forums.
The other day I bought a cheap Made in China rechargeable blinkie. Instructions read:
"Direction for Use
Slender shape with a reat edge Rodad columnar beam design, lit Like a sharp blade pierced the paint Black sky. Ultra-wide exposure range Wai, provide more security. Elastic bandage new design will firmly Solid installation in a variety of different shapes, Diameter of the vehicle body. Compact, lightweight Li Fall, foll of design sense, with each Very stylish cars on the species."
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 07-22-22, 01:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Reynolds
The other day I bought a cheap Made in China rechargeable blinkie. Instructions read:
"Direction for Use
Slender shape with a reat edge Rodad columnar beam design, lit Like a sharp blade pierced the paint Black sky. Ultra-wide exposure range Wai, provide more security. Elastic bandage new design will firmly Solid installation in a variety of different shapes, Diameter of the vehicle body. Compact, lightweight Li Fall, foll of design sense, with each Very stylish cars on the species."
Please post a photo of that, please!
Old 07-22-22, 01:30 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
I hear the OP as HAL9000
Old 07-22-22, 01:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Reynolds
"Direction for Use

Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-22-22, 01:43 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Okay okay.

Silliness all over the place. Go to Foo for that.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.