Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Soma 650b Grand Randonneur EX vs Panaracer Pari Moto

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-31-22, 10:22 AM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts

I currently have parimoto’s 640b x 42 and while looking for a good price on standard Pasela 27” tires, I found the Soma tires.

does anyone have any experience with both the Soma and the Pari Moto’s?

for $124 I can get the soma tires and the pasela 27” or for $128 I can get the pari motos, the 27” paselas and tubes.

Last edited by Lbxpdx; 07-31-22 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-31-22, 10:54 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
My guess is the Soma tires are made by Panaracer as the tires are made in Japan and Panaracer does make a big bulk of tires for other companies because they are known for decent tires. I don't think on either one you would go wrong.
Old 07-31-22, 11:20 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
fwiw when I was experimenting with all kinds of tires during lockdown, Pari-Motos were by far my least favorite. Felt stiff and piggy, even at low pressures. Not sure how taht was even possible, but it was. (I was riding 650x47). No experience with Somas.
Old 07-31-22, 11:38 AM
Lbxpdx

Originally Posted by veganbikes
My guess is the Soma tires are made by Panaracer as the tires are made in Japan and Panaracer does make a big bulk of tires for other companies because they are known for decent tires. I don't think on either one you would go wrong.
didn’t think about that. Thanks.
Likes For Lbxpdx:
Old 07-31-22, 01:36 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Take a look at Chaoyang tires - just do a quick search on google. A fraction of whatever you would consider to be a "normal price.." every bit as good, if not better. Don't waste your money on a rebranded version of the same thing.
Old 07-31-22, 02:10 PM
Lbxpdx

Originally Posted by Moisture
Take a look at Chaoyang tires - just do a quick search on google. A fraction of whatever you would consider to be a "normal price.." every bit as good, if not better. Don't waste your money on a rebranded version of the same thing.
thanks for the recommendation, unfortunately they don’t do 27” and their 650b’s are all knobby.
Old 07-31-22, 02:41 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Panaracer is a tire manufacturer, and Soma's tires (and many other small brands) are manufactured by Panaracer. They are not rebranded Chaoyang tires.

Originally Posted by Lbxpdx
thanks for the recommendation, unfortunately they don’t do 27” and their 650b’s are all knobby.
I combed through their catalog, and it looks like they do have a few reasonably-svelte non-knobby 650b road tires in the 40mm-ish ballpark, the Flying Diamond and the Viper. I'm not sure to what degree that can actually be sourced, and if you're trying to avoid puncture protection layers, unfortunately it appears that only the cheapest options are available without a nylon breaker below the tread.

Last edited by HTupolev; 07-31-22 at 02:44 PM.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 07-31-22, 04:54 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
They are a little more than your initially listed prices, but Rene Herse has a good selection of 650B tires. They are made by Panaracer to Rene Herse specs.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 07-31-22, 06:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Panaracer is not buying Chaoyang. Maybe Chaoyang makes OK cheap tires but don't conflate them with Panaracer or Schwalbe or Continental who make their own tires.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-31-22, 08:09 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
This is incorrect.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-06-22, 11:40 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
I'm not saying that Panaracer specifically sells tires rebranded from Chaoyang, but if you think that they manufacture tires specifically for themselves, by themselves, in their own factory, this is complete nonsense.
Old 08-06-22, 11:51 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
I'm not saying that Panaracer specifically sells tires rebranded from Chaoyang, but if you think that they manufacture tires specifically for themselves, by themselves, in their own factory, this is complete nonsense.
Panracer does that specifically
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 08-06-22, 06:28 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Do you, by chance, work for Chaoyang, or for a "reputation management" firm that is contracted to them?

Because, if not, I cannot see any reason that anyone would continue pimping out a company that nobody has ever heard of, and that nobody was asking about, in the face of overwhelming, documented evidence that the tires that the questioner was actually asking about are actually made in the actual Panaracer factory in actual Japan by actual Japanese workers.

Go tell your boss that bikeforums.net is not a target for your "targeted online marketing campaign."

Which you are welcome to interpret as it was intended: total, intentional BS.

Because we're not anywhere near as stupid as you clearly think we are.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 08-06-22, 07:43 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
Do you, by chance, work for Chaoyang,
Naaah. In addition to not being able to distinguish decent tires from junk, I'm pretty sure he is unable to hold a job.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-06-22, 08:56 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,671 Posts
Just want to say I have some ex and I like them better than gravel kings but I havnt tried parimotos
Old 08-07-22, 07:42 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Hold on a second. Are you literally claiming that all of the brands that sell tires from Panaracer - such as Soma, Fairweather, Simworks, Swifttire, or Rene Herse - are using Panaracer as a distribution middleman? Besides this being an absolutely bizarre thing for these businesses to do, how do you explain representatives from these brands claiming to have observed Panaracer tire-manufacturing operations in Japan? From what I can tell, your claim implies that Panaracer is running some sort of Potemkin tire factory to trick representatives into thinking that they're a tire manufacturer. If you have evidence of this wild conspiracy, you've uncovered an extremely interesting story.
Old 08-07-22, 08:21 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Responding to Moisture is like stepping into quicksand. Danger, Will Robinson!

I have had a good experience with Compass/Rene Herse 650b tires with minimal tread.