Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Lapierre Zesty possible BB crack?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-22, 08:06 AM
Stormy85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Hi there

I am currently doing a larger maintenance/service on my friends bike as I noticed what looks like a hairline crack around the BB. What would you say?
i tried removing the press fit BB to inspect the frame from the inside but it is really tight. I think if I really hammer it out it definitely needs replacing so might wait with that depending on what you guys think.
What would your next step be?

Old 03-15-22, 08:12 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Might be a crack, might be a scratch. If it is a just a scratch now, as bad as that looks then it might cause a crack later.

I'd take it to someone that is an authorized service or dealer for that bike and let them advise you. Maybe there is warranty, though if that is a scratch from some other incident then there might be no warranty coverage for that even if it is or does become a crack.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-15-22, 08:35 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Those are cracks (two) which have not yet merged on the surface IMO. I'd get it checked out. Some may roll the dice and keep riding if the BB is not making any noise, not sure if I would be one of those. If I am looking at the picture correctly, this is a full suspension bike and the crack is probably caused by force from the red pivot.
Old 03-15-22, 08:41 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Might be a crack, might be a scratch. If it is a just a scratch now, as bad as that looks then it might cause a crack later.
Sure looks like a crack. Mark the ends of the lines with a Sharpie and see if they grow as you keep riding. There's very little risk of a frame failure that would be a safety issue. Keep a close eye on it while you talk to a dealer about the process of frame replacement should this turn out to be a failure.
Old 03-15-22, 09:40 AM
Stormy85

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Damn, that was my first thought as well. Ill check if there is a LBS around me with Lapierre and have them look at it. Since the bike needs a fair bit of work before it is rideable again, new headset, new front hub, brakes and pads, new chain I guess my friend will have to decide if he wants to splash the cash and risk it breaking in the future. That sucks.

thanks for the advice!
Old 03-16-22, 03:26 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
A nice clear photo of the end of thepotential crack (out of focus above) might help, as would an eyeball look with ~10X magnification.

I would kind of expect a crack to follow the weld bead.
Old 03-16-22, 07:12 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The bit of scratch/crack at the edge of the shell looks more scratch like. But the second one which runs along the valley between the weld and that other red capped feature (suspension pivot mount?) has me wondering.

I agree with seeking a dealer if to only document the potential problem. Andy