Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

chain slapping if I backpedel on "small-small"

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-02-22, 04:46 AM
couldwheels
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

With chain on "small-small" gear ratio, I get chain slap if I back pedel. Sometimes, the chain will move to the next lower gear if I continue backpedeling. If I don't back pedel on the high gears, the bike is perfectly fine. The chain is not sagging either, it looks straight to the eye.

I'm not experiencing any other problems on my new used bike, it shifts fine, drivetrain don't make any rubbing noise, just the chain making that usual "anchor's away" noise, a lot less louder ofc.. Does this mean the chain is too lose or should I just leave it alone?

Last edited by couldwheels; 04-02-22 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-02-22, 05:11 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
The chain may be catching on the shift ramps/pins of the large chainring. You really should not be using the small/small combination. Don't back pedal, bicycle drivetrains are designed for forward pedaling. Shifting to another cog when back pedaling is completely normal, since the derailleur can only control the lower run of chain. There is nothing to keep the top run of chain on the correct cog, when pedaling backwards.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 04-02-22, 08:03 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
As @dsaul suggests, the small-small gear combination is best avoided. That combination, along with the large-large combination, is the most extreme deviation from ideal chain line, which leads to more wear and the unintentional derailment issues you mention. The reason it doesn't happen when pedaling normally is that the derailleur holds the chain in proper alignment with the sprocket. When backpedaling, there is nothing to ensure that the chain is aligned with the sprocket, so it can easily derail. The chain-slap happens because there is nothing to maintain tension on the chain when backpedaling. In normal pedaling, the spring in the rear derailleur maintains tension on the lower run of the chain, and your pedaling the crank maintains tension on the upper run.

So, to prevent these issues:

1) Avoid the small-small and large-large gear combinations.
2) Avoid backpedaling.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 04-02-22, 09:58 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
While I’m no longer an advocate to absolutely avoid a small-small (especially in light of 1x systems and more flexible chains), it should not be a high use combination.

As for the back peddling issue, there are some possible reasons, there is a lack or much less spring tension on the chain to prevent it from slapping; since the friction in the severe chainline angle is greater than the tension holding the chain taut.

The other aspect is that RD’s function is from below the cogs. The chain is guided to line up with the cogs from the guide pulley. Back peddling engaged the cogs without the use of a guide pulley, and the more severe angle causes the chain to shift to a less severe angle.

I find a slight back peddle can helpful to align a peddle going into a turn, but it really has no purpose, other than the rider just likes to back peddle.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 04-02-22, 10:29 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Despite the fact that neither big-big or small-small should be used regularly, it is essential that the chain be long enough to allow shifting into big-big. If it is not and you inadvertently shift into it a lot of damage to the drivetrain and possibly the rider can occur. If the chain is long enough and gearing is such that small-small uses up nearly all of the rear derailleur's "wrap capacity" then the chain will be slack or nearly so in that combination. Short answer: don't use small-small.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 04-02-22, 10:53 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by couldwheels
With chain on "small-small" gear ratio, I get chain slap if I back pedel. Sometimes, the chain will move to the next lower gear if I continue backpedeling. If I don't back pedel on the high gears, the bike is perfectly fine. The chain is not sagging either, it looks straight to the eye.

I'm not experiencing any other problems on my new used bike, it shifts fine, drivetrain don't make any rubbing noise, just the chain making that usual "anchor's away" noise, a lot less louder ofc.. Does this mean the chain is too lose or should I just leave it alone?
Sounds normal to me. As others have mentioned, riding in the small-small sprockets is not a common thing. You should be able to ride in small/small and big/big, but it's not optimal and generally only done when not paying attention.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 04-02-22, 11:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Small/small is when the DR has the least amount of spring tension left to try an keep your chain properly tensioned for when you are pedaling forward and trying to shift. Backpedaling just makes it harder for your DR cage at that point to keep the slack out. The forward travel of the bottom run of chain is pulling the cage forward so the top run goes slack. And along with the "small/small bad" thing that others mentioned, you are worsening the situation by backpedaling.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-02-22 at 11:39 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-03-22, 10:06 AM
couldwheels
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanks everyone, sorry for not giving all the information. I actually have 1x drivetrain.

The chainring is small at 34T that's why I call it "small-small". Maybe it doesn't matter on a 1x?? My previous bike was a MTB with triple crank.