Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bottom Bracket Sleeves.....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-22, 06:30 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts

A year-plus ago I searched and searched for some plastic accordion bottom bracket sleeves, and finally found a place selling them for very cheap. I bought 4, thinking, 'oh, I only need one at the moment, so these'll last me a looooong time!' Ha, nope.. I need another one now (and will in all likelihood need more in the future as my addiction progresses....) And now I can't for the life of me remember, or find, where I got them. It wasn't one of the bug/usual online places, it was an odd vendor- lots of bike bits and pieces, and a weird name like bicyclebrakeparts.com or something, archaic appearing website....Anyway, does anyone have a source?

And yeah, I know I could probably make them out of old plastic bottles, etc, but if I remember right, they were less than $1 from the place I got them, which to me is worth it not to have to mess around with measuring and cutting up bottles...
Old 09-13-22, 06:51 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
....And now I can't for the life of me remember, or find, where I got them. It wasn't one of the bug/usual online places, it was an odd vendor- lots of bike bits and pieces, and a weird name like bicyclebrakeparts.com or something, archaic appearing website....Anyway, does anyone have a source?
Was it The Third Hand?
They used to sell a lot of little odds and ends, although they began business decades ago selling tools and such.
A web search fails to find anything about the place. They had been in the process of selling off their remaining inventory for some time.

And yeah, I know I could probably make them out of old plastic bottles, etc, but if I remember right, they were less than $1 from the place I got them, which to me is worth it not to have to mess around with measuring and cutting up bottles...
Interesting! I just had the opposite problem with a Specialized BB. I didn't have a sleeve in the bottom bracket, so after cleaning and regreasing, I tried to put one of my spare accordion sleeves in. However, it didn't seem like it could be compressed enough to fit. I couldn't even get the adjustable cup started threading into the shell...

The cups were 18mm wide, and the shell is 68mm wide. That only leaves 32mm for the sleeve, which is 54mm wide.

Even compressing the accordion section down to zero, taking 20mm out of the 54mm dimension, it still wouldn't fit in the 32mm available.

I've cut a section of milk jug plastic in preparation for the next overhaul.

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-13-22, 07:29 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Here:

https://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?i...m_id=US-SHIELD
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-13-22, 08:59 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Is Bikestoolsetc the reincarnation of The Third Hand? The web site looks very familiar.

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-13-22, 09:04 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts
I usually take them out, I’ve got a bunch of them laying around.
Old 09-13-22, 09:09 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
That's it- that's the place I was trying to remember! THX!
Old 09-13-22, 09:14 AM
ehcoplex 

Originally Posted by sloar
I usually take them out, I’ve got a bunch of them laying around.
I dunno- if you ride in the wet* on an old steel-framed bike with a loose-bearing BB they don't seem like a bad idea...

*I'm literally just in from a very, very wet 20 miles...!
Old 09-13-22, 09:28 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts
I dunno- if you ride in the wet* on an old steel-framed bike with a loose-bearing BB they don't seem like a bad idea...

*I'm literally just in from a very, very wet 20 miles...!

I never recommend taking them out, but I service my bikes more than normal. Gives me something to do at work.
Old 09-13-22, 10:37 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
That's it- that's the place I was trying to remember! THX!
FWIW: they now appear to have a $20 min order requirement (tried to price 3 of those shipped and a pop-up to that effect appeared). And their S/H also doesn't seem particularly low for smaller orders.

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-13-22 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-13-22, 11:42 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Is Bikestoolsetc the reincarnation of The Third Hand? The web site looks very familiar.

Steve in Peoria
No, they were contemporaries and competitors (BITD) but not the same company.
The Third hand was once in Shasta Co of CA, Bike Tools Etc. was/is up north in Ashland, OR. So kind of along the same I-5 corridor. I have spent much $$ at both over the years, sad to see Loose Screws-The Third hand go under, but guess it was time for the owner to pack it in.
EDIT: I could be mistaken but I have 2 ancient catalogs and even though they were (sometimes) in nearly the same location I thought they had different owners. At least the "cartoons" in the catalogs were different and they were different size paper! Third Hand Loose Screws (why the two names? separate parts and tools operations yet the same catalog and business?) apparently got resurrected but I think by a new owner and is still selling stuff online, but now located in Washington State. In addition to bicycle goods this guy now sells gun/rifle stuff.

BTW to the OP: if you aren't too picky I seem to collect used accordion pleated dust barrels and probably can dig some up and mail them for cost of postage, BUT they might not be pretty and I certainly have a limited supply (so don't gang up on me, fellas)!

Last edited by unworthy1; 09-13-22 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-13-22, 11:51 AM
ehcoplex 

Originally Posted by unworthy1
No, they were contemporaries and competitors (BITD) but not the same company.
The Third hand was once in Shasta Co of CA, Bike Tools Etc. was/is up north in Ashland, OR. So kind of along the same I-5 corridor. I have spent much $$ at both over the years, sad to see Loose Screws-The Third hand go under, but guess it was time for the owner to pack it in.

BTW to the OP: if you aren't too picky I seem to collect used accordion pleated dust barrels and probably can dig some up and mail them for cost of postage, BUT they might not be pretty and I certainly have a limited supply (so don't gang up on me, fellas)!
Totally don't care about appearances. Sending a PM...
Old 09-16-22, 11:56 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 782 Posts
Update: I found a handful of these sleeves and between 2 C&Vers who contacted me I am sure they will clean out my inventory!
So unless I find a bunch more, my offer is "closed"