Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2022 bike purchase

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

2022 bike purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-22, 09:41 AM
Biker2022

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2022 bike purchase

I'm going to be as brief as possible I believe.

My Mongoose Switchback (of 2001) has given me good if not great service for twenty years, but I'm getting older and would like a bike that I can "exit" more gracefully from.

Feel free to give any suggestions that you might have on buying a new bike of similar if not the same quality as the Mongoose Switchback. I live in the U.S.A. near two reputable dealers where I have already looked at several "girls style bicycles." My only objections to them included their looks and their handle-type gear shifter. (These are almost "deal breakers" for me because I have carpal tunnel syndrome and want to have the "smoothest shifter" feasible.) (I think a lower bar would be satisfactory to make my exit "more graceful.")
Old 09-16-22, 12:06 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
not quite sure what you mean by "handle-type gear shifter" unless you are referring to twist grip shifters. If that is what you mean you probably haven't been looking at high quality bikes
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-16-22, 01:27 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I think you'll find that just about everyone here will be in agreement that just about anything will be better than a Mongoose bike. What you want to look for is anything not sold at Walmart. But in order to get a good recommendation you should describe what kind of riding it is you do or want to do.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 09-16-22 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-16-22, 01:48 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
The pics of your 2001 Mongoose shows that is it equipped with twist shifters. By handlebar shifters, I'm guessing they are trigger shifters.

I understand the arthritic issue and I use a vintage thumb shifter for the left (front) shifter because my left thumb won't last using a left trigger shifter. The shifter almost fits in the palm of my hand, but for a 2X it is a pretty no-brainer shift, which suits my current mental capacity.

The issue you will generally face is that "most" twist shifters are found on low end bikes. I think SRAM still makes higher end twist shifters for 9,10 and 11 speed. I can't speak for the ease of use with Microshift twist shifters. I had problems with using a twist shifter, but if your current setup works for you, you just need to replicate it.

You might have to test out some or get good feedback on their ease of use. You may have to do a shifter and RD swap after you find the bike and can't get it with the shifter you want.

Unless you are going to need really wide gearing a 1x might be a good direction to go as there will be no left shifter involved.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 09-16-22 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-16-22, 01:57 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
My Pinion gearbox has a twist shifter and shifts very easily, of course, my other bike has bar end shifters and also shifts easily.
Old 09-16-22, 08:12 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 445 Posts
The Trek FX line, namely the Stagger versions, interests me, due to hip replacements, in my case.

Welcome to BF!
Old 09-17-22, 04:16 AM
Biker2022

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
city streets that are pretty much level

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I think you'll find that just about everyone here will be in agreement that just about anything will be better than a Mongoose bike. What you want to look for is anything not sold at Walmart. But in order to get a good recommendation you should describe what kind of riding it is you do or want to do.
I ride mostly on city streets that are pretty much level but sometimes go on the berm (the grassy, uneven side of the road) when traffic comes in the opposite direction. This is when I have to downshift in order to "stay vertical." (Sometimes the streets are pretty (very?) bumpy.)

Last edited by Biker2022; 09-17-22 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-17-22, 06:24 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Get a bike with a "dropped" top tube--they have lost the "stigma" of being a girl's bike, as many have issues getting on and off a bike. Think you'll find trigger shifters--either indexed or friction--will be easier to shift. Please DO NOT get a bike from a "big box" store. Go to a bike shop and get a quality bike. May be more costly at first, but in terms of longevity, serviceability, functionality, weight, etc., it will pay off in the long run. Again, don't let the looks of a "girl's bike" be of concern. Many are finding them better suited and I see more men riding them lately.
You can fall over getting on and off, or get over it and buy what works.
Old 09-17-22, 06:32 AM
Biker2022

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Get a bike with a "dropped" top tube--they have lost the "stigma" of being a girl's bike, as many have issues getting on and off a bike. Think you'll find trigger shifters--either indexed or friction--will be easier to shift. Please DO NOT get a bike from a "big box" store. Go to a bike shop and get a quality bike. May be more costly at first, but in terms of longevity, serviceability, functionality, weight, etc., it will pay off in the long run. Again, don't let the looks of a "girl's bike" be of concern. Many are finding them better suited and I see more men riding them lately.
You can fall over getting on and off, or get over it and buy what works.
<<You can fall over getting on and off, or get over it and buy what works.>>

LOL
Old 09-17-22, 07:34 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker2022
<<You can fall over getting on and off, or get over it and buy what works.>>

LOL
Maybe better put: you're more likely to be noticed falling getting on or off the bike, than being seen riding a bike with a step-thru frame. Hope you did find it funny--wasn't meant to be "mean".
Old 09-17-22, 07:39 AM
dcagibbs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have fun shopping for bikes.
Old 09-17-22, 08:31 AM
Biker2022

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Maybe better put: you're more likely to be noticed falling getting on or off the bike, than being seen riding a bike with a step-thru frame. Hope you did find it funny--wasn't meant to be "mean".
<<Maybe better put: you're more likely to be noticed falling getting on or off the bike, than being seen riding a bike with a step-thru frame. Hope you did find it funny--wasn't meant to be "mean".>>

No problem. I mentioned my age, and it helps me keep my perspective.

In the long term, the woman's bike (the girl's bike) may be more "practical" in the sense that my arthritis may have improvements, but it doesn't go away (not yet, anyway). The "higher-style handlebars," and the "step-through design" may prove to be a "blessing" in the future.

Last edited by Biker2022; 09-17-22 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-17-22, 10:55 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I imagine the “girl’s bike” stigma may one day evolve into the “old man’s bike” stigma.

Regardless, you just need to find a comfortable bike that you are able to shift. If you can rent a bike for a day, it will go a long way to knowing what will and will not work.

For me even a slight amount of pain was an indication that things would get worse with more use. It took me trial and error to come up with a solution.

John
Old 09-17-22, 11:55 AM
Biker2022

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I imagine the “girl’s bike” stigma may one day evolve into the “old man’s bike” stigma.

John
I believe you're talking about change, and, if the moderator will allow an aside, I'll quote a portion of a lyric by Cole Porter:

The world has gone mad today
And good's bad today,
And black's white today,
And day's night today,
When most guys today
That women prize today
Are just silly gigolos

(courtesy of google.com)

Last edited by Biker2022; 09-17-22 at 02:43 PM.
Likes For Biker2022:
Old 09-18-22, 05:33 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Easiest bike to mount and dismount is the Biria Easy Boarding.

https://biria.com

They are good bikes. Dunno about shifters, that can all be changed out. As odd as the bike looks they are very normal to work on. First versions, like fifteen or twenty years ago, had lots of QC problems and bad publicity. I've worked on and ridden a few in recent years and the quality is notably high.

You will know if this suggestion is good for you. If not, continue to next comment.
Old 09-19-22, 02:48 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
My first thought was the Specialized Sirrus 2 Step-Through fitness bike: https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/sh...irrus/c/sirrus

There are a few variants, but all have trigger shifts. It may be easier to get a shop to change them to more suitable shifters if needed, though.
Old 09-19-22, 11:58 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Scott CR1 SL, Huffy RedRock (first bike), Aostimotor S17 ebike

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 129 Posts
My 80+ year old neighbor had a similar issue, purchased a "girl style" Trek with a neutral color and is very happy. He even sold his 90s Trek for a decent amount.