Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Spruce Knob climb in WV

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Spruce Knob climb in WV

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 09:28 AM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Spruce Knob climb in WV

Has anyone done the climb lately? How was it? I haven't been on it for many years but I rock-climb at Seneca all the time. Now that I'm into biking also, Spruce Knob sparks my interest. I might bring my bike the next time I'm heading to Seneca Rocks.
Old 12-01-11, 09:44 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
I road it a number of years as part of the Snowshoe Cycling Challenge ( 3 days, 100 miles each day, Snowshoe to Canaan, Canaan to Snowshoe, Highland Scenic Highway loop)

As I recall the climb up Spruce Knob is not particularly special. Although it's the highest point in the state, you're going across on somewhat of a main road that is pretty straight and not terribly steep.

The Highland Scenic Highway, a bit south in Pochahontas County is a much nicer ride.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 12-01-11, 10:18 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I road it a number of years as part of the Snowshoe Cycling Challenge ( 3 days, 100 miles each day, Snowshoe to Canaan, Canaan to Snowshoe, Highland Scenic Highway loop)

As I recall the climb up Spruce Knob is not particularly special. Although it's the highest point in the state, you're going across on somewhat of a main road that is pretty straight and not terribly steep.

The Highland Scenic Highway, a bit south in Pochahontas County is a much nicer ride.
Finish that ride up with the trip up to Snowshoe and you have a great ride.
Old 12-01-11, 10:39 AM
hyhuu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

You are right that it's not terribly steep. Only the first 3 miles are at 8% and the rest 8 miles is rather mild. That could be a good thing because I don't do well when the grade is above 10% for a long distance. I drove up there shortly after it was paved but it was at night and can't remember what it was like. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-01-11, 05:47 PM
bladehack

Bikes: Bianchi 928 C2C (61cm)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hyhuu
You are right that it's not terribly steep. Only the first 3 miles are at 8% and the rest 8 miles is rather mild. That could be a good thing because I don't do well when the grade is above 10% for a long distance. I drove up there shortly after it was paved but it was at night and can't remember what it was like. Thanks for the suggestions.
What year did they pave that road to the top? I use to do alot of camping out there; in fact one of the best spots was right next to the antenna at the top of Spuce Knob. Man, did it get cold at night up there at 4800ft in late September. Now that I think of it, last time I was on Spruce Knob was probably '91 or so...it has been a while, lol
Old 12-02-11, 08:20 AM
hyhuu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bladehack
What year did they pave that road to the top? I use to do alot of camping out there; in fact one of the best spots was right next to the antenna at the top of Spuce Knob. Man, did it get cold at night up there at 4800ft in late September. Now that I think of it, last time I was on Spruce Knob was probably '91 or so...it has been a while, lol
I don't know the exact date but I think it was around early to mid 2000s. This is the road from the East side of the mountain starting from Rt 33/28. You can check out the info at https://www.mountainstatewheelers.org...eKnobClimb.htm And yes it a harsh place up there in the winter.
Old 12-02-11, 08:51 AM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I don't know the exact date but I think it was around early to mid 2000s. This is the road from the East side of the mountain starting from Rt 33/28. You can check out the info at https://www.mountainstatewheelers.org...eKnobClimb.htm And yes it a harsh place up there in the winter.
My 2nd WV cycling link in one day. A good sign for me today
since I decided to stay in WV this winter after pining for SoCal.

Thanks.

Old 12-02-11, 10:29 AM
hyhuu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2ndGen
My 2nd WV cycling link in one day. A good sign for me today
since I decided to stay in WV this winter after pining for SoCal.

Thanks.

Man you must have made quite a wrong turn to go from SoCal to WV. WV is a wonderful state for outdoor activities, including biking but you'll be spending a lot of time in the middle of nowhere.
Old 12-02-11, 01:50 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Man you must have made quite a wrong turn to go from SoCal to WV. WV is a wonderful state for outdoor activities, including biking but you'll be spending a lot of time in the middle of nowhere.
I'm in MoTown.

Got a MTB Park right behind my house and almost 20 miles of
paved bike path to roll on during the thaws for the road bike.