Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 09-04-17, 02:14 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by ruudlaff
Anyone have a review/opinion of Easton EC90?
Fantastic bars. Unfortunately for me, they only come narrow as 38cm, and I like narrower.
Old 09-04-17, 03:37 AM
ruudlaff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Fantastic bars. Unfortunately for me, they only come narrow as 38cm, and I like narrower.
This is my first foray on to smaller (38) bars from Pro Vibe 7s 42's that I have been trying to replace for a while now. I have no doubts I may go smaller eventually but for now this is a decent compromise. Plus, because I've picked them up second hand I could hopefully sell them on without much loss if I do change them.
Old 09-04-17, 10:13 AM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think liking the narrowness of the bars has a lot to do with your upper body build. I always rode the widest bars you could find on the road as I have a really wide chest and shoulders. My chest is 52"s and if you asked me to make a fist and hold my hands straight out in front of me, it is 42-43cm between my fist. Therefore with 42cm bars it was a straight shot from my shoulders to my hands and it felt right. First time I held 38cm bars, I had to pull my hands in and it felt funny, but I got used to them after awhile and just switched my road bike over to 38's as well as my track bike. I have tried 35's before and they are just too narrow for me and I really have to pull my hands in which does start to feel like it's pinching my breathing. Even with the 38's, they still feel a bit narrow when getting out of the saddle to climb the bridges or hills. If I weighed 150 lbs and had a 42" or smaller chest, I think the 35 would feel great, but there is a point where going too narrow becomes counter productive. What works best for you is not always what works best for others....even if it may look that way on paper. Best way to know is to get out and ride with the various width bars and see what feels right.
Old 09-04-17, 01:45 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
ruidlaf you will have a hard time selling them.

Dive, this is track, not road. The aero benefits during short track races outweigh the discomfort when compared to wider bars.

Recall that it's also more comfortable to ride in an upright position. We ride bent over for the same reasons.
Old 09-04-17, 02:12 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Dive, this is track, not road. The aero benefits during short track races outweigh the discomfort when compared to wider bars.
Not just aero benefits - they fit through smaller spaces.
Old 09-04-17, 03:51 PM
ruudlaff

ruidlaf you will have a hard time selling them.
Why would this be?
Old 09-04-17, 04:03 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Why would this be?
Actually mine sold quickly when I decided to get rid of them.
Old 09-04-17, 05:16 PM
carleton
Elitist

Why would this be?
In my experience, anyone looking to buy bars is choosing narrow and shallow bars, 37cm and narrower.

Look through photos of local and national events and they are rare to see.
Old 09-04-17, 05:29 PM
carleton
Elitist

Another thing is that the deep drop of the B123 came as a result of tall head tubes of bikes of that era. So riders needed to get their hands low. The EC90 sprint bars replicate that drop.

Now, bikes have moderate to low head tubes, so no need to get low. So when you use those bars with a modern bike, you have to stack spacers and use a upward rising stem.

When shallow bars like the Scatto were launched, they were a hit because the stem stack was lower and a stem could be run negative/flat.

I rode them with a 15cm head tube
Old 09-04-17, 08:30 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Ruudlaff, I might pick them up from you when the time comes. Just PM me when you're looking to "trade" for something else. I have the Sakae Keirin Flats, and the EC 90s are very close to those in terms of shape.
Old 09-04-17, 08:43 PM
carleton
Elitist

Whelp. I have been proven wrong.
Old 09-04-17, 09:01 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Those EC90 bars, if they are the ones that are the "ergo" model, with the flats in the middle of the drops, then they are based off of the Sakae FX NJS bars. The round EC90s may be based off of the Nitto B123.
Old 09-04-17, 09:03 PM
racersdad

Bikes: Felt TK FRD, Domahidy Road, Shiv TT, Cervelo R3, Specialized Crux, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Track cranks & powermeter for Felt TK FRD

Hi, I'm new here, relatively new to track racing and would appreciate any help. I'm building up a Felt TK FRD for my junior son who will be focusing on pursuit events. He started racing track in April, raced a borrowed bike at Junior Worlds a couple weeks ago and now this is to be his bike for the coming seasons. I'm trying to find a crankset/powermeter combination that will work well and ideally be aero. I've come up with 3 options. The Felt is BSA threaded.
1. Rotor 3D24 Crankset, with SRM or Power2Max power meter. Issues: SRM is very $$$ and Power2Max has no availability until their new model comes in - which has no ETA
2. Vision Track Crankset. I believe (to be confirmed) that I can fit a Stages FSA386EVO crankarm power meter to the Vision crankset. But I haven't found anyone with knowledge of this crankset in use. This crankset is 386EVO, there are numerous BB options to mate to the BSA threads.
3. Dura Ace with Stages (or SRM for that matter)
I would greatly appreciate any advice or thoughts on the relative merits of these options. Anyone used the Vision Crankset?
thanks!
Old 09-05-17, 12:39 AM
ruudlaff

Originally Posted by taras0000
Those EC90 bars, if they are the ones that are the "ergo" model, with the flats in the middle of the drops, then they are based off of the Sakae FX NJS bars. The round EC90s may be based off of the Nitto B123.

Looks like ergo, based on pictures:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Easton-EC90-Pro-Carbon-Track-Handlebars-38cm-/182744863096?txnId=1704030700008#vi__app-cvip-panel
Old 09-05-17, 06:53 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by racersdad
Hi, I'm new here, relatively new to track racing and would appreciate any help. I'm building up a Felt TK FRD for my junior son who will be focusing on pursuit events. He started racing track in April, raced a borrowed bike at Junior Worlds a couple weeks ago and now this is to be his bike for the coming seasons. I'm trying to find a crankset/powermeter combination that will work well and ideally be aero. I've come up with 3 options. The Felt is BSA threaded.
1. Rotor 3D24 Crankset, with SRM or Power2Max power meter. Issues: SRM is very $$$ and Power2Max has no availability until their new model comes in - which has no ETA
2. Vision Track Crankset. I believe (to be confirmed) that I can fit a Stages FSA386EVO crankarm power meter to the Vision crankset. But I haven't found anyone with knowledge of this crankset in use. This crankset is 386EVO, there are numerous BB options to mate to the BSA threads.
I would greatly appreciate any advice or thoughts on the relative merits of these options. Anyone used the Vision Crankset?
thanks!
The conclusions I've drawn from talking about this with others on this forum and elsewhere are:
* That power on the track bike is a nice luxury, but not a necessity.
* Time, speed and cadence can provide almost all the metrics one needs to improve.
* If one is going to go with power, they should go ahead and go with one of the SRM options.
Old 09-05-17, 07:37 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I use a Dura Ace Stages. It works aight. Given how Stages works, I don't put too much stock for its ability to be super-precise with short efforts, but for tracking my power throughout a race, it's pretty helpful.

Another option is a 110mm bcd Quarq (comes in 165 and 170) with a 110->144bcd plate adaptor.
Old 09-05-17, 08:51 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by racersdad
thanks!

If you are building a system for your son to use for several years, invest in an SRM kit. It's worth it in the short term and especially in the long term.

You can buy alternate crank arms with different lengths for the SRM track crankset for $200/pair. I'd imagine that as an aspiring pursuiter, he will be experimenting with crank lengths as well as other parts of the bike. To put that into perspective, a new set of Dura Ace crank arms costs $400-450/set.

You change the drive-side crank arm by using a star nut wrench and remove the crank arm from the power meter spider. You will then have to recalibrate it. It's not hard. I've done it in my living room. Or you can simply mail it in to SRM and have them do it. Let left side crank arm is removed like any other crank arm.

Buy the kit with the PC7 head unit. Not the PC8 (much more expensive). The 7 has all of the same data, it's just older.

Last edited by carleton; 09-05-17 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-05-17, 12:40 PM
topflightpro

Buy the kit with the PC7 head unit. Not the PC8 (much more expensive). The 7 has all of the same data, it's just older.
IIRC, the 7 also samples at 4x per second compared to 2x for the 8.
Old 09-05-17, 02:03 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by topflightpro
IIRC, the 7 also samples at 4x per second compared to 2x for the 8.
I have a PC7 (my 2nd one, actually) and it only records as fast as 2x/second (2Hz). I *think* (not sure) that the PC8 only records every second. There is no option to change the recording rate in the software PDF.
Old 09-05-17, 07:28 PM
sergioflorez

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
thoughts on flared out road handlebars for track? anybody here use them?

https://ritcheylogic.com/comp-evomax-road-bar

Old 09-05-17, 08:49 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Personal preference when it comes to bars for the most part.
Old 09-05-17, 08:52 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I use a road bar that has a few degrees of flare. Not as dramatic as those pictured, but I can't imagine there would be any issue as long as they're the right width at the drops.
Old 09-06-17, 07:06 AM
topflightpro

I use a road bar without a flare. I think I would prefer a minor flare, like many of the aero bars have - Zipp or Easton, for example.
Old 09-06-17, 08:12 AM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
It's really personal preference, but in a good exchange the two bikes lean away from each other so the bodies can be as close as possible. Generally, the closer the center of mass of the two riders become, the more efficient and the safe the exchange. Some riders tend to hit their forearms on the upper bend when they lean their bikes and might find a flared drop useful.
Old 09-06-17, 06:48 PM
racersdad

Bikes: Felt TK FRD, Domahidy Road, Shiv TT, Cervelo R3, Specialized Crux, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are building a system for your son to use for several years, invest in an SRM kit. It's worth it in the short term and especially in the long term.

You can buy alternate crank arms with different lengths for the SRM track crankset for $200/pair. I'd imagine that as an aspiring pursuiter, he will be experimenting with crank lengths as well as other parts of the bike. To put that into perspective, a new set of Dura Ace crank arms costs $400-450/set.

You change the drive-side crank arm by using a star nut wrench and remove the crank arm from the power meter spider. You will then have to recalibrate it. It's not hard. I've done it in my living room. Or you can simply mail it in to SRM and have them do it. Let left side crank arm is removed like any other crank arm.

Carleton, thanks for the advice. By the way you underlined "invest" I figure you expect the SRM unit to outlast / have better resale value than the other options?
Also, and maybe you already knew this - I got a reply back from Stages tech support to say that their track and road powermeter models have different firmware and so only the track-specific Dura Ace model was recommended for track use. Apparently the road models can't handle the reversed load from back-pedalling in track environments. So my idea to use an FSA Stages crankarm on the Vision crankset wouldn't work in any case.
SRM it is.
Thanks again

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.