Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What do you do to improve relations?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 02-22-19, 06:40 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts

I know that we all gripe about the motorists that buzz us and do other stupid things putting us at risk but what do we do to improve relations with motorists?
Myself, I ride solo 99% of the time unless it is with my wife on one of our tandems but I try to connect with motorists and dogs too for that matter.

I can tell when a motorist is apprehensive about passing. You know, they hang back, especially in curvy areas or on hills. If the road is clear I wave them around and slow down if needed while giving them a wave and thumbs up. If a car passes and gives me plenty of room, I always wave and give a thumbs up.

A few days ago, I misjudged the weather and got caught in a deluge. In an stretch where I can normally maintain the speed limit I had to hold back as the rain was stinging which caused a handful of cars to catch up to me. I pulled over into a wide spot to let them by and waved as they went through. I got a few waves and smiles back.

We can often be at fault too. Two years ago on a LBS ride, the group was going through a small town where the road is very wide with a good clean shoulder. Most of the pack was off to the far right of the lane or on the shoulder but the shop owner and another cyclist were riding side by side taking the lane and backing traffic up during commute time. From behind, me and a friend could see the drivers getting angry. Pissed off angry. That was my last shop ride.

As for dogs, I always talk to dogs. They get confused by bikes but if the bike makes human sounds, in time it seems to click that it is not an incarnation of satan. We have some dogs on our route that just love to run alongside. Now if a dog is aggressive, I have speed advantage, and the owner is out yelling at their dog to come back, I will bare my teeth, growl, and maintain a pace sufficient to let the dog think that it can still catch me and train it up the road as far as possible. I know, that's not right.

Am I the only one who tries to also interact with drivers in a positive manner?
FWIW. I also do the same when running. A driver giving me plenty of room and is courteous gets a smile, wave and thumbs up.
Old 02-22-19, 07:18 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Number one thing for me is avoiding group rides where participants blatantly run red lights and stop signs in an entitled manner, and use their numbers to militantly block traffic and antagonize drivers, most of whom are just trying to get to and from work, school, or shopping. Which is most group rides containing more than 10 or so riders, with very large paid organized group rides being the very worst offenders.
Old 02-22-19, 07:24 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 931 Posts
I usually do the hand wave of thanks to drivers waiting to pass from behind on a 2 lane road or waiting at a stop sign for myself or especially on a group ride. I do try my best to have positive reactions with motorists. I seldom look to see the reaction to my tip of the hand, I just want them to know I/we appreciate their observance of our right to the road.
Old 02-22-19, 07:28 AM
rayooo

Bikes: Superfly-9.6, Domane-4.5 Emonda-SLR 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I was on a ride last fall (Covered Bridge ride in PA) Narrow roads to say the least. On more than one occasion, several cyclists simply refused to move from side by side and allow the car(s) to pass. The horns started blaring....
So, IMHO both groups (cyclists and cars) can and often are at fault.
Old 02-22-19, 08:13 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10069 Post(s)
Liked 5,753 Times in 3,092 Posts
I am polite, respectful, and friendly until ****ed with.
Old 02-22-19, 08:51 AM
GailT

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
This is pretty cool - a bicycle friendly driver course (for both drivers and cyclists).
Due to popular demand and positive feedback after the first session, Bicycle Colorado, Cyclists 4 Community and Boulder County Transportation are holding another free class for cyclists and drivers of all ages and abilities aimed at informing both groups how they can safely coexist on the road.
Old 02-22-19, 09:16 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I communicate with lane position, hand signals and look backs... holding drivers back as I approach blind curves, hill tops, or other pinch points. Move right to facilitate or encourage passing when safe to do so. Give friendly waves as they pass safely. Stop at signs and lights when other road users are in the area. Use the appropriate lane and lane position at intersections so there's less ambiguity for all.
Old 02-22-19, 01:12 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7620 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
i tell good drivers they will be blessed by the Pope of Boyleston Avenue.
Old 02-22-19, 03:57 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 209 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
I know that we all gripe about the motorists that buzz us and do other stupid things putting us at risk but what do we do to improve relations with motorists?
I grant right-of-way to motorists 100% of the time. I do my very best to stay out of their way the rest of the time.

BTW...if I am "out of their way" they can not possible hit me.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 02-23-19 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-22-19, 04:35 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18302 Post(s)
Liked 4,470 Times in 3,326 Posts
I ride to the right most of the time, and let drivers choose when to pass. The primary exception is a narrow bridge that is problematic near my house. If I know a car is coming behind me, and there are cars ahead, I'll stick a hand out "STOP" when crossing, then wave traffic on once it is clear.

I frequently have cars yield when they probably didn't need to, and I'll just watch them and go.
Old 02-22-19, 06:10 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,710 Times in 1,483 Posts
At stops on the commute I move as far left as I can and if there is room wave drivers doing right on red by......mostly convincing them there is plenty of room to go without hitting me (despite my clyde size )

Old 02-22-19, 06:27 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18302 Post(s)
Liked 4,470 Times in 3,326 Posts
Oh, and don't forget triggered left on red.

If a car comes up behind me, I'll usually scoot forward, then wave at the car to come forward and point to a spot behind my rear tire.

When a car stops 30 feet back, it can be a long wait.
Old 02-22-19, 07:19 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I keep from congesting the road with my car, and I free up a parking space. I also bring "quality of life" to my city, according to all of the magazines.
Old 02-22-19, 08:47 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
I hope when I move the left of centre on a red light, right-turning vehicle drivers realize that I'm doing this to let them through and not because I'm a dick hogging the lane...but alas I fear that's what some of them probably are thinking. You can't win.

Also, I hope when I am taking the lane on a narrow section of the road, like where the centre median the curb pinches in, they realize that I'm doing it for my safety because I don't want them squeezing me to the curb. And if they don't recognize this, then perhaps they will when I move over to the right after I've passed the pinch point they will...but again, I fear most of them probably think that I'm being a dick.

You can't fix stupid.

Last edited by mcours2006; 02-22-19 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-22-19, 10:57 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
i tell good drivers they will be blessed by the Pope of Boyleston Avenue.
I myself preach from Boylston Street* in Boston and I have posted on a few threads:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Personally, I find any discussions about cycling with motorists futile, especially those exchanged while en route, often with hostility. When off the bike, e.g. at work they are usually pleasant, but vacuous, for example when I’m called a saint.

When they complain, it’s often about cyclists riding two or more abreast, no lights, ninjas, etc…valid complaints IMO.

The most antagonistic remarks though that I try to assuage are taunts about what it would do to the driver if they hit me, most often spoken on the Winter when streets are icy or narrowed by snowbanks…
How to get the message out? I find threads about what to say to a driver futile, since these are brief, often emotion laden encounters, and often the cyclist makes a bad impression

I have in the past posted about giving “bicyclist curses,” and “bicyclist blessings”; about 5 blessings a day, and about 3 curses a week.
I have those exact thoughts whenever I am passed, even when not tooclose by motorist who does not slow down or move over slightly, just as an indication that they notice me.

I always think those self-absorbed cagers are only restrained by the thought of scratching their cars, or the hassle of filing police reports.

My only satisfactory retribution is to give them my previously-described Bicyclist Curse. (I repeatedly jab my pointed right index finger in their direction, while shouting an accusatory, ”You, you, you…”). The possibility of metaphysical retribution is more satisfying than the middle finger.

I do also bestow Bicyclist Blessings on drivers who show even a modicum of respect, with a wave of the hand. ….
So, @Maelochs, tell the bad drivers, woe unto them, for they shall be cursed by the Pope of Boylston Street.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boylston_Street

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-22-19 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-23-19, 07:35 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
For a brief, wonderful moment I thought you meant our nearest and dearest, to which my answer was going to be send the bright ones to finishing school, and give the others a puppy.
Old 02-23-19, 05:12 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 818 Posts
No matter what I am driving or riding, I have a cooperative disposition. If I am in my car, on a motorcycle or on my bicycle I'll always try to help someone get around me. I let people out in traffic. I use hand signals when I think they will help. When folks do courteous things, I wave and smile. If I am riding the bike path I always slow when I pass people. I tell kids on bike that their bikes are cool or I like their helmets. I tell pedestrians to enjoy their walk. I say hello to dogs. Being polite and cooperative is easy. It makes the world a better place. I never assert my rights as a cyclist for the sole sake of asserting my rights. Everything I do has self-preservation as a primary goal. I am going to do that as cooperatively as possible.
Old 02-23-19, 05:17 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 972 Posts
FWIW. I also do the same when running. A driver giving me plenty of room and is courteous gets a smile, wave and thumbs up.
Heck yeah. On neighborhood streets, 9 times out of 10 car drivers will relinquish right of way to me and let be roll through stop signs. Gotta give them a thank you for that.
Old 02-23-19, 09:13 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I keep from congesting the road with my car, and I free up a parking space. I also bring "quality of life" to my city, according to all of the magazines.
Winner!
Old 02-24-19, 09:07 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 818 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Heck yeah. On neighborhood streets, 9 times out of 10 car drivers will relinquish right of way to me and let be roll through stop signs. Gotta give them a thank you for that.
I will not let them do that for me. I think it is best when we wait our turn.
Old 02-28-19, 08:28 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Myself, I ride solo 99% of the time unless it is with my wife on one of our tandems but I try to connect with motorists and dogs too for that matter.

I can tell when a motorist is apprehensive about passing. You know, they hang back, especially in curvy areas or on hills. If the road is clear I wave them around and slow down if needed while giving them a wave and thumbs up. If a car passes and gives me plenty of room, I always wave and give a thumbs up.

A few days ago, I misjudged the weather and got caught in a deluge. In an stretch where I can normally maintain the speed limit I had to hold back as the rain was stinging which caused a handful of cars to catch up to me. I pulled over into a wide spot to let them by and waved as they went through. I got a few waves and smiles back.

We can often be at fault too. Two years ago on a LBS ride, the group was going through a small town where the road is very wide with a good clean shoulder. Most of the pack was off to the far right of the lane or on the shoulder but the shop owner and another cyclist were riding side by side taking the lane and backing traffic up during commute time. From behind, me and a friend could see the drivers getting angry. Pissed off angry. That was my last shop ride.

As for dogs, I always talk to dogs. They get confused by bikes but if the bike makes human sounds, in time it seems to click that it is not an incarnation of satan. We have some dogs on our route that just love to run alongside. Now if a dog is aggressive, I have speed advantage, and the owner is out yelling at their dog to come back, I will bare my teeth, growl, and maintain a pace sufficient to let the dog think that it can still catch me and train it up the road as far as possible. I know, that's not right.

Personally when I am on the road I behave in a predictable manner. I signal when I am changing lanes, or making a turn or slowing/stopping, unless I need to keep both hands on the handlebars. I do NOT run red lights or stop signs, I do NOT ride against traffic, I do NOT ride at night without lights. I avoid group rides where the group or the leaders are prone to run red lights/stop signs.

If I am on a road and I notice that several cars have stacked up behind me and I can safely do so, I will pull over, preferring a parking lot, or side street and allow said traffic to pass me.

Unlike an individual that I know in a couple of Facebook forums, I do not "acknowledge" motorists behind me. As it is their responsibility to avoid hitting the vehicle in front of them.
Old 02-28-19, 08:33 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Oh, and don't forget triggered left on red.

If a car comes up behind me, I'll usually scoot forward, then wave at the car to come forward and point to a spot behind my rear tire.

When a car stops 30 feet back, it can be a long wait.
Agreed, I've lost track of the number of times that while sitting at an induction loop controlled intersection that I've had to wave motorists to move forward so that the light will change for us. The other week it was a "golf cart" that was behind me that I had to wave forward.
Old 03-09-19, 03:29 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I follow the rules of the road just as cars do, that's how we can all improve our relations with motorists.
Old 03-09-19, 06:01 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
i follow the rules of the road just as cars do, that's how we can all improve our relations with motorists.
+100
Old 03-12-19, 07:52 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Off-bike, I don't engage in heated us v. them discussions, and try instead to figure out ways to instill empathy in motorists who complain about cyclists.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.