Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The 3rd Annual Bourbon and Tobacco Tour

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-11-19, 04:53 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts

UPDATE 6/11//2020 - NEW DATES! September 12-13, 2020.

Good pavement, nice gravel, light vehicle traffic, courteous drivers, and the hills of western Kentucky in the springtime - what's not to like? Well, your legs might complain about some of the gradients, but the descents make it all worthwhile. And the riding companions - unparalleled.

A few updates for the COVID mess:

Rather than meeting at my house for dinner, we'll just pick up dinner in Cadiz and meet at the park on the west side of town to eat and tell biking lies. My wife will be much happier with this, and there's plenty of parking and tables for us. Because I don't know what will transpire between now and the ride, please bring a mask and put it in your jersey pocket.

There are plenty of places to pick up some food - pizza at Casey's, mexican at El Bracera, Sonic, Wendy's, Taco Bell, KFC, Triplets, Cracker Barrel, and Subway. I'd rather have everyone at my house for a cookout, but I'm trying to make some adjustments that will work for everyone. I appreciate your understanding.

Dinner on Friday, September 11:

For those folks coming into town on Friday, we'll meet for dinner at Triplett's BBQ in Cadiz for dinner around 6pm. The restaurant is on US68/KY80 just west of I-24 at exit 65.

Saturday, September 12:

We will meet at 9:30am at the LBL Golden Pond Visitor Center on the Woodlands Trace Road, at the intersection of US-68/KY-80. There is plenty of parking at the visitor center. I will have some repair/adjustment tools, grease, chain lube, floor pump, work stand, and some spare tubes and patches. Hopefully no major repairs will be needed before, during, or after the ride but we'll be prepared for the usual (and some of the unexpected). We'll roll out from the parking area around 10am.

There is no cost for these rides. If you want to chip in a little for the Saturday post-ride cookout, that would be appreciated, but it's neither expected nor required.

The route:

The route has been updated for 2020, and is entirely within the LBL. This loop starts and ends at the Golden Pond Visitor Center in LBL, and is about 56 miles, all paved, with about 3500 feet of climbing. There are a small number of actual turns in this route, so there should be no issues with navigation or getting lost. I will give my cell number to riders, should assistance be needed during the ride. Cell coverage isn't always the best in LBL, so bear that in mind. This is an unsupported ride, but we will do our best to help everyone finish up safely.

Click here to see the route in RideWithGPS

Click here to see the cue sheet for the full route

Click here to see the cue sheet for the partial route

Other cool stuff to do:

If you want to come in a day early, or stay over for a day or two, you could follow the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. If you like bourbon and want to sample the offerings by several distilleries, this is a great way to do it. Check out where the distilleries are located and plan your route.

You can drive north on the Trace Road, and drive through the Elk and Bison Sanctuary. There's a small fee at the entrance to the sanctuary, and it's well worth it. I've been there more than once and it's a unique opportunity to see herds of bison and elk moving around the area. You do have to be in a vehicle - a bicycle vs a 2000 pound bison - no thanks.

There is a trap range close to the Lake Barkley Lodge, so if folks are interested we can shoot some clay targets. No prizes, just bragging rights. I have shotguns, ammunition, and clay targets - so all you'll need is hearing and eye protection. If you've not done this before, it's challenging and fun. If you're new to this, I'll be happy to help you to shoot safely.

Post-ride cookout:

See the COVID notes above for Saturday dinner plans.

Sunday, September 13 - ride the trails:

If folks are interested, we'll take some fatter-tired bikes out for some trail riding on Sunday. There's a lot to choose from, the map links below will give you an idea of the variety available to us. A good choice is the Hardwoods Trail, from east to west all the way to Kentucky Lake. Mostly crushed limestone and a lot of fun. I would rate this trail as easy/moderate. Bikes with road tires won't be the best choice for this - wider tires are the best way to go.

A local friend and riding buddy will lead the gravel ride on Sunday, he knows the gravel routes in LBL much better than I do.

At the north end of the LBL, there is a good singletrack loop named the Canal Loop. I would rate this loop as moderate/difficult

There is fairly new option, the MTB trails in Livingston County, to the north of LBL. I've ridden there a few times and it's a lot of fun. The trails are rated intermediate/difficult, so bring your "A" game. Be advised, you will want some tread on your tires for these trails.

We'll figure out when and where to meet during the cookout and I'll update the information here.

LBL Hike and Bike Trails

LBL Maps - click the trails tab

Livingston County MTB Trails

There are 500 miles of trails and 200 miles of roads in LBL. It is great to have this area so close to home. Not all of the trails are available for bicycling, so check the website while you scout a potential route.

Click here to see a good gravel route in RideWithGPS

Temperatures to expect:

The average high temperature in September is 83 degrees, and a low average temperature of 58 degrees, so pretty good riding weather.

Lodging:

Here are some options for lodging and some suggestions for restaurants in the area.

Kenlake Resort Park Reservations - this is the best choice if you want to ride to the start

Lake Barkley Lodge Reservations

Both are reasonably priced and are just a few minutes from our starting place. Kenlake and Lake Barkley both have restaurants too. For those folks arriving on Friday, we'll meet for dinner.

Red Roof Inn in Cadiz

Quality Inn in Cadiz

Both of these are at I-24 exit 65, and within walking distance of Triplets. Driving time to the ride start point from these hotels is about 20-30 minutes.

Bike Shop:

Bikes and Moore in Hopkinsville is a great shop that I'm happy to call "home". I couldn't find a complaint if I tried. Good folks and they'll be happy to help you out, should you need more than a tweak or two. They have knowledgeable mechanics and a good parts inventory too.in Hopkinsville is a shop that I've been to many times, and I couldn't find a complaint if I tried. Good folks and they'll be happy to help you out, should you need more than a tweak or two. They have knowledgeable mechanics and a good parts inventory too.

Questions:

Reply in this thread or send me a PM if you have any questions. I'll do my best to help.

Please watch your speed while driving in LBL, it's federal land, so speeding tickets are expensive - paraphrasing Agent K - "the rangers do not have a sense of humor they're aware of."

I hope to see a lot of you at the ride.

Last edited by speedevil; 08-06-20 at 06:30 AM.
Likes For speedevil:
Old 12-11-19, 06:03 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
It is a bit far for me to attend but I appreciate all the thought and work that goes into planning one of these events. Sounds like it will be a lovely time.
Old 12-11-19, 07:32 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
I'll try to make this one! Hope I can maintain fitness over the winter.
Old 12-11-19, 07:51 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 191 Posts
I have never been to any of these meetups...

...but I'm not far from this, like 3.5 hours away in Chattanooga. If I don't move, I'm in, I like reasons to get in shape and 40-50 mile range is up my alley.
Old 12-12-19, 07:53 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I have the dates written down and am looking forward to it. Having done it before I can tell you this is one you should attend. Aside from the company, the riding in this area is second to none.
Old 12-12-19, 10:49 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Hmmmmm. This is just two weeks after Eroica California.

Gotta run this past Mrs. Doc to see what's on the calendar that weekend....
Old 12-12-19, 04:08 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
Wouldn't miss it, I'll be there. This will be round three for me as well, gets better every year.
Likes For PilotFishBob:
Old 12-13-19, 06:12 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Nice mix, not brutal.
Agreed, a portion of some of the climbs are done for you with gravity from the previous one. The other thing I like is people are very patient and kind on these roads. They hang way back until it's wide open and completely safe to pass, then go around using the other side of the road.
Old 12-13-19, 07:04 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,634 Times in 2,599 Posts
Wow, that’s the weekend of my 60th birthday and would be a very cool way to celebrate it.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-13-19, 07:46 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Agreed, a portion of some of the climbs are done for you with gravity from the previous one. The other thing I like is people are very patient and kind on these roads. They hang way back until it's wide open and completely safe to pass, then go around using the other side of the road.
Agreed on the drivers on these roads - I've not had a single close pass, not a single car horn in LBL. The drivers wait behind you as you crest a hill and pass when it's clear. They don't seem to be bothered by waiting a few seconds to make it safe for everyone to enjoy the area. Makes me proud to live and ride here in Kentucky. I'm sure there will be a jerk at some point, but the history of my riding in the area is excellent. The park rangers have been very helpful if you have questions or need something - everyone just gets along and enjoys being outdoors.
Old 12-15-19, 05:06 PM
schundog

Bikes: Masi CXR, Trek Crossrip 3, Trek 5500 OCLV, 1982 Bianchi SS, Civia Kingfield Belt-Drive Commuter, Cannondale T700, Cannondale R600, Cannondale R800, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert, 1988 Peugeot Nice, Marin Bobcat Trail 3 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
While it's too soon for me to commit to this, I'd really like to make it. In addition to looking like a beautiful ride, I'd like to ride with Robbie and Dale again soon. Thanks for setting this up, Dale!
Old 02-25-20, 08:43 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'm in

I'm going to trek back home (Livingston County native) to join this ride. I came to know some of my favorite people on this very forum; looking forward to riding with some more of you.
Old 02-25-20, 09:03 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

^^^^^ ColonelJLloyd We're looking forward to seeing you at the ride. I ride the new MTB trails in Livingston County just off I-24. Good trails and a lot of fun. Bring an MTB and ride both days.
Old 02-25-20, 01:35 PM
nlerner

And looks like I'll be there with ColonelJLloyd , trecking down from the Northeast. Looking forward to it!
Old 02-25-20, 01:37 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

nlerner that's great to hear. Let me know if you need any help with anything. Make sure you bring an MTB for Sunday!

Last edited by speedevil; 02-25-20 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-25-20, 01:43 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by speedevil
nlerner that's great to hear. Let me know if you need and help with anything. Make sure you bring an MTB for Sunday!
Afraid I'm only bringing one bike on the plane, but it'll have 35mm tires, and I'll let some air out for off-roading!
Old 02-25-20, 01:52 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by speedevil
^^^^^ ColonelJLloyd We're looking forward to seeing you at the ride. I ride the new MTB trails in Livingston County just off I-24. Good trails and a lot of fun. Bring an MTB and ride both days.
Edit: Neal beat me to it.

I'd like to, but I don't think it's in the cards. I will likely have two companions with me (one forum member, another longtime friend) and I think we'll all be on 700x35 tires. I could bring a second wheelset with 2.1" tires, but my pals won't have that option. A couple years ago I rode a good bit of the single track in LBL on the 650b wheelset over several days and had a lot of fun.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 02-25-20 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-25-20, 01:55 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

700x35 tires would be fine on the LBL Hardwoods Trail, but you'd need some decent tread for the Livingston County MTB trails. I'm not sure who will ride the trails on Sunday, but we'll figure out something so that everyone can have a good time.
Old 02-25-20, 08:25 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
I'm going to trek back home (Livingston County native) to join this ride. I came to know some of my favorite people on this very forum; looking forward to riding with some more of you.
If your picture is any indication, you haven't aged a day!

Old 02-25-20, 08:30 PM
nlerner

I'm definitely in, year 3.

I'll begin my cycling day around 8 a.m. and be at the start around 9:50 for my 1st rest stop, after one or the other of the loops.

My goal is to get a metric in and get showered up so I can leave for St. Louis and be there by 4:30 pm or so, ready for an event (Rotary).

This is a "mileage year," with commitments, so I have to get creative.
Oh, I might have to join you for the pre-ride, Rob, as I’d like to make this my ride-your-age event.
Old 02-25-20, 10:06 PM
nlerner

I rarely ride with young people, but I can make an exception.
We can make sure none of them join us.
Old 03-25-20, 10:46 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

As far as I know now, the 3rd Annual Bourbon and Tobacco Tour is still on. I know some folks were planning to come from a long ways away, and that they might be reconsidering the trip. I understand and respect your decisions.

Having said that, I hope that we are able to get together and enjoy a nice couple of days worth of riding in the hills of western Kentucky in the springtime.

If anything changes, I will post it here.
Old 03-31-20, 08:46 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

As of today (March 31) I've decided to postpone the ride. We'll see what happens over the next few weeks and make a decision on the new dates as soon as we reasonably can.

A lot of events have been cancelled or postponed, so I'm not alone in making that sort of decision. We'll find a weekend and ride the hills of western Kentucky.

Please stay tuned for updates.
Old 06-11-20, 06:21 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

NEW DATES SELECTED! MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR THE WEEKEND OF SEPTEMBER 12-13, 2020.

I've updated the first post on this thread to include the new dates. I also added two additional hotels, both in Cadiz. Restaurants are currently open in Kentucky, but the number of tables has been substantially reduced to allow additional space between diners.

I have an update to the route (on the southern loop) that will add about 12 miles to the total, so we'll be close to 60 miles for the entire route.

With a lot of larger events being cancelled, let's make this one happen. Good riding, good comversation, and biking in the hills of western Kentucky - what's not to like?
Old 06-11-20, 08:20 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Just put my time off on the calendar. Let’s roll.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.