Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle / Pedestrian Accidents

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-19, 02:00 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Tombaatar
Just to reiterate. I was not asking for tips on how to avoid getting into an accident with a pedestrian. Nor was my intent to give people the opportunity for sanctimonious judgement of my riding behavior. It was to gain insight into the legal ramifications of such collisions.
Well, in that case, the overtaking party is automatically at fault. Done!
Old 12-16-19, 02:12 PM
Tombaatar

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 99 Gary Fisher Aquila, 88 Diamondback Apex, 89 Trek 400, 85 Specialized Rock Hopper, 86 Peugeot Triathlon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Well, in that case, the overtaking party is automatically at fault. Done!
Apparently not, https://valawyersweekly.com/2015/08/...nt-of-cyclist/
Not in this case at least. I am guessing the answer is how much are you able to spend on a lawyer.
Old 12-16-19, 03:18 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Well this went just as I expected.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-16-19, 04:00 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
This thread with all it's purse swinging is the very reason I avoid MUPs

Last edited by nomadmax; 12-17-19 at 05:49 AM.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 12-16-19, 04:07 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Just to reiterate. I was not asking for tips on how to avoid getting into an accident with a pedestrian. Nor was my intent to give people the opportunity for sanctimonious judgement of my riding behavior. It was to gain insight into the legal ramifications of such collisions.
Unfortunately every social media post anyone makes is seen as an opportunity for sanctimony for many.

In boat accidents and auto accidents that go to civil litigation, fault is most often apportioned. I suspect It's the same with bike on pedestrian crashes. While every path I have ever ridden has signs that indicate pedestrians have the right of way, that does not absolve them of their responsibility to behave predictably and responsibly. A standard of reasonableness is pervasive in our civil and criminal courts.

Here's the way I look at it from a human decency standpoint and from the standpoint of wanting to protect myself from liability. Like you, I know that pedestrians are prone to wheel around without looking. Given that, I think the most reasonable way to pass from behind is to slow to a speed that would likely allow me to react in time to avoid collision, announce my pass and give as wide a berth as practicable. I'd want to be able to tell a civil trial jury that's what I did if something went wrong. Even if I were apportioned only 10% of the fault of an accident, if it resulted in hospitalization of the other party, the bills could mount quickly.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 12-16-19, 04:19 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
In boat accidents and auto accidents that go to civil litigation, fault is most often apportioned. I suspect It's the same with bike on pedestrian crashes. While every path I have ever ridden has signs that indicate pedestrians have the right of way, that does not absolve them of their responsibility to behave predictably and responsibly. A standard of reasonableness is pervasive in our civil and criminal courts.
What? Did you go to law school or something?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-16-19, 04:21 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
How exactly would one do this?
When riding a bicycle you slow down to a walking pace or similar speed whenever you're passing someone who is a pedestrian. It works well to do so with other bicyclists too as they may suddenly swerve in order to avoid something.

That's why I avoid MUP (rail-trails) hereabouts when there are many others on them.

Cheers
Old 12-16-19, 04:23 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

I was not asking for tips on how to avoid getting into an accident with a pedestrian. Nor was my intent to give people the opportunity for sanctimonious judgement of my riding behavior. It was to gain insight into the legal ramifications of such collisions."

You have NO IDEA of my riding habits or my deference to pedestrians. You just sound angry and stupid.
Then you should be posting those questions on a LEGAL forum where there are lawyers and/or judges who can give you pertinent advice.

Cheers

Last edited by StanSeven; 12-16-19 at 09:27 PM.
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 12-16-19, 04:32 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
let's say if OP were to hit the jogger and this case ended up in a civil litigation...
OP would be asked, "Did you slow down and give room to the jogger?"
OP's answer: "No I did not slow down because I think it's absurd to slow down when there's only one jogger on an 8 foot wide path".
Yep just the kinda answer OP's lawyer is looking for to absolve his client
Old 12-16-19, 04:49 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I have read that in any crash involving a cyclist and motorist it is the responsibility of the driver to prove that he is not at fault. I would assume it is similar with a pedestrian and a cyclist.

But yes, slow the hell down when passing pedestrians on an MUP. It's frustrating at times when they are wearing earphones and seemingly completely oblivious to anyone else around them. You still gotta avoid them. That's your responsibility as the faster moving one.
Old 12-16-19, 04:58 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mcours2006
I have read that in any crash involving a cyclist and motorist it is the responsibility of the driver to prove that he is not at fault. I would assume it is similar with a pedestrian and a cyclist.
Don't believe everything you read.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-16-19, 05:18 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Don't believe everything you read.
It's actually from a personal injury law firm specializing in cyclist victims. You figure they know the law.
Old 12-16-19, 05:26 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I ride the MUP's a lot. It is shocking to me the number of runners i see do a u-turn and run the other direction with out first looking over their shoulder to see if a bike is coming...
Originally Posted by thumpism
Most traffic rules state that the entity being overtaken has the right of way. If you are the one doing the passing and the passee does something stupid that causes you to cream them, expect the law to come down on their side and not yours.

We frequently walk together at a local park also known for its, er...energetic cyclists. During one walk I was on the verge of reaching for her hand for a friendly squeeze when one of those guys zipped right between us with no warning. No telling what damage could have occurred.
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Humans on any MUP wearing earphones are worse than squirrels. I'm gonna make my millions by designing a small, handlebar mounted bell that sounds like a train horn
On a few of these “cyclocentric” threads about MUPS, I have posted:
Originally Posted by canklecat
If we ride often enough on MUPs we've all seen...wannabe racers riding too fast for conditions, sometimes two abreast, sometimes in mini-pelotons and not giving any consideration to other users -- slower cyclists, old folks walking with canes or walkers, families with strollers and toddlers and dogs on 50 yard retractable non-leashes (the dogs too), etc.

That's life on the multi-use path. Always been that way. Always will be. It's just the nature of the thing…

Jerks are gonna jerk. But most folks are pretty cool about using the MUP. I prefer to keep the latter in mind
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…My own thought is that a MUP is not so much a commuter route, or training venue, but a pastoral park, where people can enjoy themselves without too many worries, and needn’t be always vigilant, as is a cyclist on the Road.

A few years ago I went on a walking tour of the Boston’s Emerald Necklace park system designed by the great 19th century landscape architect Frederic Law Olmsted with the concept of a Promenade in mind.

According to the Park Ranger, it was planned “to take a leisurely walk, ride, or drive in public, especially to meet or be seen by others (Oxford Dictionary).The strollers would be dressed in their best Sunday clothes, and running and horses (and ? bicycles) would be discouraged.

My own Golden Rule of Cycling is “Do unto the Pedestrians, as you would have the Cagers do unto you.
IMO the vast majority of pedestrians on a MUP / Bikepath are more likely motorists rather than cyclists, and do not share the opinion that they [the pedestrians] do not belong on the Path

So I don’t expect pedestrians to show the same respect to cyclists, as we have to show toward cars i.e. “share the road.” Especially since those users likely paid more [in aggregate] to construct the Path as their refuge from driving.

So why should cyclists, likely the minority of users, take over these public spaces?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-16-19 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added quote by Tombaatar
Old 12-16-19, 05:27 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mcours2006
It's actually from a personal injury law firm specializing in cyclist victims. You figure they know the law.
That's not the law. That is likely its opinion as to practicality and possibly a marketing gimmick. (Many PI firms play "fast and loose.") But it's not the law. The law puts the burden of proof on the plaintiff. What the firm likely is saying is that, as a practical matter, a jury is going to side with the cyclist over the motorist unless convinced otherwise. That's something I happen to not agree with.

BTW...I got an A- in Torts in law school.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-16-19, 06:16 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
...i just think in general the statement "plan for the unpredictable" is absurd.
It really is not absurd. There's a defensive driving method (I've encountered it in motorcycle training courses) known by the acronym SIPDE. Scan, Identify, (try to) Predict, Decide, and Execute. The "try to" is my edit. The method requires constant awareness and evaluation of your surroundings, and readiness to make the move your survival will depend on. I admit that you can't really predict what's going to happen, but you can probably narrow down the possibilities and have a plan.

Not a bike thing but I think you'll get my point. How unpredictable is having a car drop from the sky into your lane while you were driving at interstate freeway speed? I've had it happen. What actually occurred was that the car was traveling on a frontage road atop an embankment parallel to my path of travel, the driver lost control and the vehicle plunged off the bluff tumbling down into my lane, landing on its wheels. My car was the first to approach and I managed to avoid colliding with it. Of course the car didn't literally drop from the sky but it sure as hell looked like it, and it happened FAST.

Ya gotta be prepared.

Last edited by thumpism; 12-16-19 at 06:22 PM.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 12-16-19, 06:53 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
The speed limit applies to electric vehicles. There's no way that particular provision can be read to apply to a pedal-only bicycle. Note the difference between (1-3) and (4) in that regard.

Also note that pedestrians are not required by this statute to keep to the right of the path.

Good catch, I assumed it mentioned all like most of the other sections. I've never seen any posted speed limit on any MUP around here. And trust me the peds can't even keep a straight line much less one side or the other.
Old 12-16-19, 08:06 PM
Tombaatar

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 99 Gary Fisher Aquila, 88 Diamondback Apex, 89 Trek 400, 85 Specialized Rock Hopper, 86 Peugeot Triathlon

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Again. Specifically. I do not care to read your opinion of safe passing procedures or your opinion on my presumed behavior.

Thank you to those that gave me a thoughtful response to my question.
Old 12-16-19, 08:17 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Yup, it is always the responsibility of the person/vehicle that is doing the passing to pass safely. Right of way typically goes like this, Walker - Runner - Cyclist. If there are horses allowed on the trail/road, they trump everyone.
The horses could 'tramp' everyone!
Old 12-16-19, 08:23 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Again. Specifically. I do not care to read your opinion of safe passing procedures or your opinion on my presumed behavior.

Thank you to those that gave me a thoughtful response to my question.
Do you ride the Braeswood(sp?) Trails? I used to live in Houston and used them to commute from Willowbend Blvd to just inside the loop 610 at South Main for work and also to go to U of Houston. The bridge trolls were worrisome at times but a lowered shoulder did the trick! I had a ped spit on me once! He didn't know I was coming around (couldn't hear due to headphones). He was apologetic as heck but it was still gross.
Likes For Cyclist753:
Old 12-16-19, 08:43 PM
Tombaatar

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Boxkite
Do you ride the Braeswood(sp?) Trails? I used to live in Houston and used them to commute from Willowbend Blvd to just inside the loop 610 at South Main for work and also to go to U of Houston. The bridge trolls were worrisome at times but a lowered shoulder did the trick! I had a ped spit on me once! He didn't know I was coming around (couldn't hear due to headphones). He was apologetic as heck but it was still gross.
i live in NW Houston. My “long ride” is down Navigation to the turning basin then Brays to the medical center and then home. About 45 miles total. Brays from the turning basin (Buffalo Bayou) to the med center is fantastic. 10 feet trail for some of it. Very little traffic. The trail from the med center to 610 West has been out of commission for a few years. Plus there is no safe north route to my home from Brays Bayou west except to turn around and come back the way I came.
Old 12-16-19, 09:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

BTW...I got an A- in Torts in law school.
I got a lifelong predilection for the phrases "eggshell skull" and "but for".
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-16-19, 09:31 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
I’m late with this but there were several posts from the afternoon with insults. Those were just deleted. Just another reminder with A&S - there are lots of heated discussions and arguments here, which is fine. But no insults. If you can’t make statements without insults, don’t bother posting. You will get infractions.
Old 12-16-19, 09:43 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by Boxkite
That spitting on you was an assault and could have been reported to the police.

Cheers
Old 12-17-19, 05:07 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
Maybe I didn't state it clearly. If you are passing someone on a path don't assume they will necessarily hold their line (cyclist or pedestrian). Slow down while passing and be prepared to stop if they do a sudden move in your direction.
you made your point clearly enough, i just think in general the statement "plan for the unpredictable" is absurd.
Just to reiterate. I was not asking for tips on how to avoid getting into an accident with a pedestrian. Nor was my intent to give people the opportunity for sanctimonious judgement of my riding behavior.

It was to gain insight into the legal ramifications of such collisions.
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Unfortunately every social media post anyone makes is seen as an opportunity for sanctimony for many.
Originally Posted by FBinNY
In all fairness, I don't think there's anyone who's been riding for a long time, who hasn't at some time (or many times) ridden in that zone where the only thing separating us from disaster is favorable alignment of the stars. (Note the "us" rather than "him")

We all take chances and make mistakes, but fortunately life is "organized" with plenty of forgiveness. In my experience the difference between disaster and "whew, that was close" is millimeters and microseconds, and not anything we can take credit for.
It really is not absurd. There's a defensive driving method (I've encountered it in motorcycle training courses) known by the acronym SIPDE. Scan, Identify, (try to) Predict, Decide, and Execute. The "try to" is my edit.

The method requires constant awareness and evaluation of your surroundings, and readiness to make the move your survival will depend on. I admit that you can't really predict what's going to happen, but you can probably narrow down the possibilities and have a plan...

Ya gotta be prepared.
Not to be sanctimonious, but to comment about planning for, i.e “predicting the unpredictable,” I have previously posted:
A common conclusion from many safety threads is not necessarily specific practices, but how to actively maintain situational awareness.

I have often posted:
So often on these threads about calamities or near misses, I post about my mindset that I believe gives me that extra edge...
I try to keep safe with certain aphorisms in my head that come to mind to alert me when I encounter a situation where unseen dangers may lurk, such as “Like a weapon, assume every stopped car is loaded, with an occupant ready to exit from either side.” or“Don’t ride over an area (such as puddles or leaves) when you can’t see the road surface."...

Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms (link), collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience, are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least, my other aphorisms are:

Those are all I remember for now, and they all pop-up in my mind as I encounter the situation.
An aphorism appropriate for passing the unpredictable runner is #4, "You don’t have the right-of-way until the other yields it to you (learned from my teacher in driver’s ed)."
I ride the MUP's a lot. It is shocking to me the number of runners i see do a u-turn and run the other direction with out first looking over their shoulder to see if a bike is coming...
Most traffic rules state that the entity being overtaken has the right of way...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-17-19 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-17-19, 05:55 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
It really is not absurd. There's a defensive driving method (I've encountered it in motorcycle training courses) known by the acronym SIPDE. Scan, Identify, (try to) Predict, Decide, and Execute. The "try to" is my edit. The method requires constant awareness and evaluation of your surroundings, and readiness to make the move your survival will depend on. I admit that you can't really predict what's going to happen, but you can probably narrow down the possibilities and have a plan.

Not a bike thing but I think you'll get my point. How unpredictable is having a car drop from the sky into your lane while you were driving at interstate freeway speed? I've had it happen. What actually occurred was that the car was traveling on a frontage road atop an embankment parallel to my path of travel, the driver lost control and the vehicle plunged off the bluff tumbling down into my lane, landing on its wheels. My car was the first to approach and I managed to avoid colliding with it. Of course the car didn't literally drop from the sky but it sure as hell looked like it, and it happened FAST.

Ya gotta be prepared.

Did you get a citation for "Failed to Maintain Assured Clear Distance" ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.