Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why not go custom?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why not go custom?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-19, 08:29 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
As far as I know, custom bikes are not allowed in the peloton, to discourage crazy and expensive competition for the next great breakthrough---similar reason why the minimum weight is so high. As far as I know, riders have to actually ride models offered by the makes---though all the accessories can be whatever 9like the custom stems mentioned above.) I believe they all use off-the-shelf drivetrains to keep costs down .... though they can buy anything on the market, there is so much available that getting hand-built one-off gear (and then spares) would eat up the budget.

That's pretty much how the UCI wants it----Not a competition of Bike versus Bike, but instead .... which rider has the best pharmacist.

Good timing to bring up this article from Zinn since its about the UCI and framebuilders.
https://www.velonews.com/2011/05/tec...the-uci_171267
Old 12-17-19, 07:54 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Perhaps the UCI tax is simply there to keep the big boys from embarrassment. Imagine a rider pulls off wins in several UCI sanctioned road events on, heaven forbid, a steel frame of all things! Imagine the embarrassment to those big boys pushing the high-mod-superduper molded machine! There just may be a real purpose to the tax after all.
Old 12-18-19, 08:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Perhaps the UCI tax is simply there to keep the big boys from embarrassment. Imagine a rider pulls off wins in several UCI sanctioned road events on, heaven forbid, a steel frame of all things! Imagine the embarrassment to those big boys pushing the high-mod-superduper molded machine! There just may be a real purpose to the tax after all.
But a rider can still use steel frames- many builders have submitted their designs and paid. So your scenario could easily happen...if riders chose to use steel.
Of all the motivations I could think of, your hypothetical didnt come to mind.

The frame certification is clearly in place to keep recumbents and other non-traditional shaped bikes from being used.
Old 12-19-19, 12:05 AM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts

Last edited by Cyclist753; 01-11-20 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-20-19, 09:47 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Riivo Custom Cycling Footwear | Riivo Custom Cycling Footwear

Those Meld saddles aren't that expensive. $250 for a saddle, $325 with carbon rails. That's right inline with most high-end saddles. If I was uncomfortable on my saddle, I'd consider it.
Oof. I'd hand them a $20 Chinese carbon saddle and tell em to use those rails...