Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chain waxing. How to avoid the flaky mess?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-16-20, 08:45 AM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts

So I have been waxing my chain now, using the Silica Secret Chain Wax bag. I am not sure the flaky mess and wax buildup on the cassette afterwards is worth it. I thought the idea of chain waxing was to keep the drivetrain super clean, what am I missing or doing wrong?
Old 08-16-20, 09:19 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
It just gets there on the first ride, and falls off on it's own.
Likes For deepakvrao:
Old 08-16-20, 09:38 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I'm using MSW; not having this issue. There's not a super thick coating in the first place, but I think that most of what's there is flaking during the process of breaking the links, before it's installed on the bike.
Old 08-16-20, 09:57 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Also use MSW. I find a vast reduction in mess on cassette and jockey wheels if you wipe down the exterior of the chain while its still molten. I've read some instructions that discourage any wipe down, but I have experienced no drawbacks and only benefits.
Old 08-16-20, 10:26 AM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Yea the directions on mine say not to wipe down, that’s why I haven’t been. I might start doing that.
Old 08-16-20, 10:52 AM
deepakvrao

In fact, I take out the chains when the wax cools a bit, so less runs off the chain. It leaves more wax on the chain, so presumably, more inside the chain too. In spite of this, I have wax coming off only the first ride.
Old 08-16-20, 11:40 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I use MSW....the flakes come off in the first 1/2 mile of the first ride them its good to go. I have not had any issues with messiness myself.
Old 08-16-20, 01:50 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Yeah, I'm wondering if the removal temp is a part of the problem. MSW says 200°F, and at that temp, you'll get a thin coating and a little bit of drip, but nothing excessive. Breaking the links and running them over a rod/dowel gets rid of a little more and it's really not problematic afterward.
Old 08-16-20, 03:06 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I use regular canning wax w/ some PTFE powder mixed in and have started wiping them down. After coming out of the crock pot I hang the chain up and as soon as it cools enough so I can handle it without burning myself I give it a thorough wipe down with a rag. Definitely reduces the flaking and still leaves the wax between the pins and rollers which is where it matters. I don't care about the outside of plates. Then when it comes time to wax my 4 chains I generally pull off the cassette and give a good cleaning with Naphtha which cuts right through the wax. It only takes few minutes and while it really isn't necessary from a functional perspective I like a clean looking drivetrain.
Likes For August West:
Old 08-16-20, 03:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Wipe down the chain with some Head&Shoulders?
Old 08-16-20, 06:41 PM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
i use regular paraffin wax , and i just heat mine up over the stove in a tin , let it soak , take it out with a paper clip or wire , let it drip , hold it over the trash , let it drip some more , tie it up over the door let it cool , and then install a few hours later !!
Old 08-16-20, 08:58 PM
eflayer

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
being cute, but...try NFS

no flaky mess and way less hassle and smooth as can be. i waxed for a few years but no more since discovering NFS:

NixFrixShun Ultimate Bicycle Chainlube - NixFrixShun®
Old 08-17-20, 07:17 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I get some wax in the cassette with MSW. I have a freebee plastic drill index gauge ( a little thicker than a credit card) that I just comb it with and it easily falls off. Just do it where it won't get on a floor you care about.

scott s.
Old 08-18-20, 11:41 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
So I have been waxing my chain now, using the Silica Secret Chain Wax bag. I am not sure the flaky mess and wax buildup on the cassette afterwards is worth it. I thought the idea of chain waxing was to keep the drivetrain super clean, what am I missing or doing wrong?
I'm trying to imagine what your scenario looks like. I use homemade chain wax (paraffin and PTFE) and there are some flakes after the first ride, but I can easily brush it off. After that, there is nothing of consequence.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 08-19-20, 11:04 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
My chains are waxed at the specified 200°F and there is minimal exterior build up and minimal drive train contamination.
Old 08-20-20, 06:54 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
If you take the waxed chain somewhere where flakes aren't an issue (say over an open newspaper in the garage) and work the chain a while, most excess wax should fall off. Or, prop up the rear end and spin the pedals for a while and the excess should flake off.

If the flakes stay on the cassette, it is no issue for me, but if it bothers you, get pretty much any kind of brush and brush them off.

I use paraffin and PTFE powder. Way cheaper than MSW and pretty much exactly the same ingredients except for the anti-caking agent which I don't need since I don't have the stuff sitting in a warehouse for two years before being sold and used. I mix up a batch whenever I need and it lasts a long time. Using 6-micron powder prevents all the PTFE from dropping out of suspension while cooking.

As for the "clean drive train," the benefit isn't so much the appearance (which is a lot cleaner in my experience) but in that you don't have a thick, abrasive slurry of old grease and grit eating away at your chain, cassette, and rings. Everything lasts longer with waxing.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-20-20, 08:19 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
i use regular paraffin wax , and i just heat mine up over the stove in a tin , let it soak , take it out with a paper clip or wire , let it drip , hold it over the trash , let it drip some more , tie it up over the door let it cool , and then install a few hours later !!

This is quite dangerous and not conducive to a long, house fire-free life.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 08-22-20, 12:03 AM
Toespeas

Originally Posted by woodcraft
This is quite dangerous and not conducive to a long, house fire-free life.
no its not , wax doesnt ignite or burn like oil , so all i get is a bit of smoke , its clean and effective , costs 5 or 6 bucks , poo on you bro LOLOL!!!
Old 08-22-20, 02:11 AM
deepakvrao

no its not , wax doesnt ignite or burn like oil , so all i get is a bit of smoke , its clean and effective , costs 5 or 6 bucks , poo on you bro LOLOL!!!
Actually, it can. Only a matter of time before you lose concentration and it happens. It's a 'when', not a 'if'.
Old 08-23-20, 12:17 AM
Toespeas

Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Actually, it can. Only a matter of time before you lose concentration and it happens. It's a 'when', not a 'if'.
macaroni and cheese can ignite , you are trying to convince me that heating up paraffin wax in a tin is as dangerous as cooking some mac and cheese , if you can boil water you can heat up wax its really not a complicated task !!!!!!
Likes For Toespeas:
Old 08-23-20, 02:41 AM
deepakvrao

macaroni and cheese can ignite , you are trying to convince me that heating up paraffin wax in a tin is as dangerous as cooking some mac and cheese , if you can boil water you can heat up wax its really not a complicated task !!!!!!
You are comparing a mac and cheese to wax? Seriously? LOL
Old 08-23-20, 03:16 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Less like mac and cheese and more like frying french fries (chips to the rest of the world) which has burnt down plenty of houses. Probably worse as wax has a lower flash point than most cooking oils so needs full attention when heated on a stove, especially a gas stove. Mobile phone rings, brain goes off on a tangent, chain gets forgotten. Can be done, but easier to get a dedicated heat source like a crockpot or an electric skillet with a thermostat control.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 08-23-20, 10:14 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Some flakes on the chain stay is a small price to pay for a clean drive train. Some degreaser on a paper towel takes it off easily. Wax buildup on cassette? Good! I dip my cassettes at the same time as doing chains. I'd dip the chainrings if it were practical.
Old 08-24-20, 08:53 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by Chuckles1
Some flakes on the chain stay is a small price to pay for a clean drive train. Some degreaser on a paper towel takes it off easily. Wax buildup on cassette? Good! I dip my cassettes at the same time as doing chains. I'd dip the chainrings if it were practical.
How does waxing the cassette help?
Old 08-24-20, 10:12 AM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
How does waxing the cassette help?
I don't see how it would, and I personally don't do it.

As for wax flakes from a newly waxed chain, I don't think you can completely avoid it, I do a few things that seem to help. First is after the chain has cooled down, I do a loose wipe with a rag. After installing the chain back on the bike, I take it outside and reverse spin on the cranks for a bit with the bike leaned towards me. This seems to loosen the vast majority of the flakes, and by tilting the bike towards me, most of the flakes fall on the ground rather than on the bike.

Last, I use a cheap paint brush to wipe any wax flakes from the bike, and I reverse spin the cranks and wipe the chain and cassette with the brush. The brush does a good job of removing flakes without smearing them into the bike, like a paper towel or rag would. Or if you have an air blower nearby, I think that would do the same thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.