Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Looking for a VO Pass hunter lookalike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Looking for a VO Pass hunter lookalike

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-21, 03:01 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
noglider you should see the one he made last week; in his Cave of Bad Ideas he put a wireless shifter on a Brompton. It's hilarious!
Old 02-15-21, 03:41 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Periodically, Johnny Coast does a batch of "semi-custom" rando frames that I understand are priced well below what one would normally pay for a custom, since he does them as a batch and they share most features. His Spring batch is full, but maybe you could get on the list for next season?

https://coastcycles.nyc/semi-custom-frames

I keep telling myself I should sell several bikes that I rarely ride and get one of these... They're not cheap but for what they are I think it's a very good price.
Old 02-15-21, 07:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
@lostarchitect, do you still have your Pass Hunter?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-16-21, 01:16 AM
mariachi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
@lostarchitect I second noglider I'm curious to understand if my troubles with this frame are due to geometry, quality control or fit.

Also thanks for the John Coast tip, I did not know him! *shame*

Last edited by mariachi; 02-16-21 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-16-21, 04:31 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Yep, I still have mine. Bought it in 2013, I think. It's a 55cm model, which I think means a 55cm top tube and a 53.5 cm seat tube. I like it well enough and it's probably the bike I ride the most.

I haven't noticed any quality issues and the only geometry issues I have are with my own body--short legs, long arms. Probably my ideal size is something like 54 x 57, but this gets the job done. Fit is always a little difficult for me, but I wanted to be a little more upright on this bike so it wasn't as much of an issue here.

I'd post a photo but I don't have anything remotely current, it's gone through several build iterations.

Regarding Johnny Coast, you should email him if you are curious about his stuff. He has always responded to my emails, seems like a nice guy.
Old 02-16-21, 04:47 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Actually, I found a fairly current photo. This is more or less what my Pass Hunter looks like now.

Old 02-21-21, 05:57 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Not sure if this is the OP's size, or fits his needs, but this Rawland rSogn frameset is for sale in Vermont. Came up on the 650B list:

https://groups.google.com/g/650b/c/ex2k8-N2QAU

I have a friend who's done years of randonneuring and passhunting-type riding on an rSogn.
Old 02-22-21, 02:00 AM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
tl;dr: I'd look for a local dealer who's got a good reputation for fitting, let them see what you're riding now, and see what they'd recommend for fit and geometry to minimize the handling issues you're having.

You said the bike photo wasn't the final build, which makes it a little harder for me to brainstorm.

But needing a very short 5cm stem and short-reach bars to make your reach comfortable sounds to me like your top tube is too long. Unless your seat is slammed all the way back. It's not in your photo, but that's not final. I don't think the Pass Hunter has a 68-/69-deg seat tube angle, so I'm going to guess your top tube is too long.

Combining an overly long top tube and short stem with a large handlebar bag on a med-high trail frame isn't likely to result in smooth, predictable handling.

There's also something I didn't notice before, and your final build may be different, but in the photo it looks like your front rack is angled forward, which would put the weight even further forward from the steering axis. Pitching the weight further forward, especially with med-high trail, isn't going to enhance/encourage steering/tracking stability.

There are always a lot of variables involved, and we can't see how you fit on your bike, what your body/load weight distribution is like. And I'm not a bike fitter. But if somebody asked me what kind of frame/bike they might want to look at, and they love 1-2wk camping trips and long <200km rides and maybe want to do some brevets, I wouldn't start them looking at med-high trail geometry with long top tubes that require 5cm stems for a comfortable reach.

And I suppose it''s entirely possible there's some kind of mfr defect or qc issue with your frame that's contributing to your handling issues, but I think you first need to deal with basic issues of fit and geometry.

Originally Posted by mariachi
[snip] I'm curious to understand if my troubles with this frame are due to geometry, quality control or fit.

Also thanks for the John Coast tip, I did not know him! *shame*
Old 02-22-21, 10:14 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
tl;dr:
There's also something I didn't notice before, and your final build may be different, but in the photo it looks like your front rack is angled forward, which would put the weight even further forward from the steering axis. Pitching the weight further forward, especially with med-high trail, isn't going to enhance/encourage steering/tracking stability.
That why I went with a Nitto M18 for my next bike. Its a plumbers nightmare compared to a true integrated rack, but the other one size fits all racks end up high and forward with a tilt unless there's a bunch of fussy bending done. The m18 should be able to tuck right in to the head tube and fender.
Old 02-23-21, 12:52 AM
mariachi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
tl;dr: I'd look for a local dealer who's got a good reputation for fitting, let them see what you're riding now, and see what they'd recommend for fit and geometry to minimize the handling issues you're having.

You said the bike photo wasn't the final build, which makes it a little harder for me to brainstorm.

But needing a very short 5cm stem and short-reach bars to make your reach comfortable sounds to me like your top tube is too long. Unless your seat is slammed all the way back. It's not in your photo, but that's not final. I don't think the Pass Hunter has a 68-/69-deg seat tube angle, so I'm going to guess your top tube is too long.

Combining an overly long top tube and short stem with a large handlebar bag on a med-high trail frame isn't likely to result in smooth, predictable handling.

There are always a lot of variables involved, and we can't see how you fit on your bike, what your body/load weight distribution is like. And I'm not a bike fitter. But if somebody asked me what kind of frame/bike they might want to look at, and they love 1-2wk camping trips and long <200km rides and maybe want to do some brevets, I wouldn't start them looking at med-high trail geometry with long top tubes that require 5cm stems for a comfortable reach.

And I suppose it''s entirely possible there's some kind of mfr defect or qc issue with your frame that's contributing to your handling issues, but I think you first need to deal with basic issues of fit and geometry.
In the picture the rack does seem angled now that you mention it, but in reality it's levelled. I also think the top tube is too long, but also that the seat tube angle is too slack.
Seat height is 72cm (my inseam is 82cm) which leaves about a fist showing. Bar height is also alright, but the bike feels super long.
In any case, due to all the quality problems on this bike, I think it's not possible to distinguish if something is caused by a bad fit, or bad frame. Even though it is clear that my fit does not help the situation at all, but that's why I've made this thread.

I sent an email to Mercian, curious to see what their response is. My favorite framebuilder in this side of the pond (Meerglas) is taking a break :/
Old 02-23-21, 12:47 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Here's one. Not in Richmond, however.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/...281569466.html