Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Nishiki Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-21, 07:39 PM
Franken Stone

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone MB-1, Nishiki Maxima, ‘72 Raleigh Proffessional Mark IV, 1990 Klein track bike, ‘95 Cannondale Silk Road, State Bicycle Co. custom “Fixie”, Custom eBike I named it my UAV (Urban Assault Vehicle), 2010 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Nishiki Maxima

Hello BikeForums! The bicycle Gods have smiled upon me. I’m hoping with all the wisdom and knowledge that runs rampant here that someone can help me find a ballpark value of what may be an actual unicorn in the flesh. Here’s what I’ve gathered so far:

Nishiki Maxima made in Italy by Colnago. This is an XL at 63cm frame. The wheels are from what I had lying around so they are not OEM. When I acquired this beauty it was without wheels laying on its side in a house that has been just short of empty for the last two years. It had belonged to my neighbor who passed 2 years ago. Any help on an evaluation would be greatly appreciated.

Likes For Franken Stone:
Old 05-13-21, 08:38 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Really nice bike one of the best made in Japan and big. Could you show us a full drive side pic and a pic of the underside of the BB with serial and markings to help with data base and pricing.
Old 05-13-21, 09:40 PM
Franken Stone

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone MB-1, Nishiki Maxima, ‘72 Raleigh Proffessional Mark IV, 1990 Klein track bike, ‘95 Cannondale Silk Road, State Bicycle Co. custom “Fixie”, Custom eBike I named it my UAV (Urban Assault Vehicle), 2010 Novara Randonee

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks Boss! There are no serial numbers on these from what I’ve gathered. I’ll get you a bb pic now.

Respectfully,
Franken

Driveside

Italian made air pump. Silca Made in Italy Impero

Limited production. Made in Italy by Colnago.

BB

Last edited by Franken Stone; 05-13-21 at 10:03 PM.
Likes For Franken Stone:
Old 05-13-21, 09:59 PM
Franken Stone

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
More pics

SunTour Superbe Pro rear derailleur.

Nitto drops. NITTO UNIVERSIADE 105 over a globe with Italy embossed. How cool is that?!?!?!

Superbe pedals with Christophe Special toe clips with straps.

SunTour Cyclone front derailleur.

Laprade

Last edited by Franken Stone; 05-13-21 at 10:06 PM.
Likes For Franken Stone:
Old 05-14-21, 09:41 AM
messinbessin

Bikes: Giant Trace 2 '16, Pinarello Asolo, 80's Gardin (TNT?), Miele's, Falcon Team Banana, Marinoni Delta Dura Ace 25th Anniversary, '94 KHS ZH2B Aero Turbo, Raleigh R700 '99, Fuji Ace '88, Softride Powercurve, Norco's, Devinci's

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Have no clue about the bike's history, but man, that Suntour Superbe rear mech is a thing of beauty! Good luck in your hunt for info!!
Likes For messinbessin:
Old 05-14-21, 09:42 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Really nice bike with the some none original mismatched components interesting that it has a sr crank with campy BB paired with Superbe pedals, I would say $300 or so as is. The mismatched components wheels large size and Nishiki branding not associated with higher end Italian made bikes hold value down some on this one.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 05-14-21, 10:10 AM
Franken Stone

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for the heads up zukahn1 ! Would you be so kind as to provide me with a list of the correct components? Any other links for info on these would be awesome.

Last edited by Franken Stone; 05-14-21 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-14-21, 01:44 PM
zukahn1 

I'm pretty sure this bike would have had full Superbe components originally most bikes ththat had Superbe stuff had the complete set. Not a lot of info on these apparently there where very few made and this model was only made for couple of years. It would be nice if you added it to the Nishiki Data Base which has info on nearly every Nishiki every made https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-database.html.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 05-14-21, 04:01 PM
Franken Stone

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I will add it for sure Zukahn1! Thanks for the link.
Old 05-14-21, 04:21 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,083 Times in 3,824 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
I'm pretty sure this bike would have had full Superbe components originally most bikes ththat had Superbe stuff had the complete set. Not a lot of info on these apparently there where very few made and this model was only made for couple of years. It would be nice if you added it to the Nishiki Data Base which has info on nearly every Nishiki every made https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-database.html.
I was under the impression that the Italian-built Niskikis (Maximo and Cervino) were originally equipped with Campagnolo. I could be wrong. IMO, Superbe is never out of place on a higher-end Nishiki.
Old 05-14-21, 08:02 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I was under the impression that the Italian-built Niskikis (Maximo and Cervino) were originally equipped with Campagnolo. I could be wrong. IMO, Superbe is never out of place on a higher-end Nishiki.

I don't know, but the Campagnolo bottom bracket would seem to support this idea.
Old 05-14-21, 10:37 PM
Franken Stone

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Eric F and lostarchitect yes the Campy BB Is correct. From what I’ve tripped over online which is hard to do as there is very little info online about the Maxima. When Nishiki became a U.S. company and was struggling to penetrate the market they took a “can’t beat ‘em join em” philosophy and brought on board the Italians (Colnago) to gain acceptance globally as a major player and I would bet the farm that it was a covert op to gather information aboutproduction systems/processes, relationships with Colnago and intel on how one of the best bike builders got to be one of the best on the planet. What interests me the most is the complete lack of historical records that made this all happen. In very short order I was impressed with BikeForums.Net and figured if Google doesn’t know maybe a bikeforums member does. Another reason I joined was the writing style of a member by the name of East Hill. I could read his stuff all day long. If I remember correctly he is a “Nishiki Connoisseur”. If anybody knows him or can pm him maybe he might know. I can’t because I haven’t popped my 10 post cherry yet. Thank you bikeforums for the platform that will help keep the info in our heads from being lost to the hands of time. “Time wounds all heels.

“Ride to Live”

Franken
Old 05-15-21, 07:57 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Franken Stone
Eric F and lostarchitect yes the Campy BB Is correct. From what I’ve tripped over online which is hard to do as there is very little info online about the Maxima. When Nishiki became a U.S. company and was struggling to penetrate the market they took a “can’t beat ‘em join em” philosophy and brought on board the Italians (Colnago) to gain acceptance globally as a major player and I would bet the farm that it was a covert op to gather information aboutproduction systems/processes, relationships with Colnago and intel on how one of the best bike builders got to be one of the best on the planet. What interests me the most is the complete lack of historical records that made this all happen. In very short order I was impressed with BikeForums.Net and figured if Google doesn’t know maybe a bikeforums member does. Another reason I joined was the writing style of a member by the name of East Hill. I could read his stuff all day long. If I remember correctly he is a “Nishiki Connoisseur”. If anybody knows him or can pm him maybe he might know. I can’t because I haven’t popped my 10 post cherry yet. Thank you bikeforums for the platform that will help keep the info in our heads from being lost to the hands of time. “Time wounds all heels.

“Ride to Live”

Franken
East Hill done...good luck, ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 05-16-21, 01:14 PM
Londonsworld 

Bikes: 71 American Eagle Olympiad, 03 Trek 5200 P1, 2013 Trek 6 series Domane, 83 Apollo branded Kuwahara, 78 Trek TX 300, 73 Nishiki Intl. 86 Nishiki Prestige, Nishiki Olympic, 72 and 73 Nishiki Safari', two-speed Electra BMX cruiser 1, 87 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 38 Posts
300 as is. The right person will pay more. Nice score!!!!!!!!
Likes For Londonsworld:
Old 05-16-21, 11:13 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
Very nice looking bike and the color is gorgeous!

So I have a Nishiki Cervino which along with the Maxima was Nishiki's top two bike models made in Italy. There is some contention but according to some of the folks that were in the shops back in the day the bikes were manufactured by Olmo . Nishiki was a brand of bicycles designed, specified, marketed and distributed by West Coast Cycle a US corporation.

300 might seem low for this but you can always part it out and get more for the components.
Likes For Jmpierce:
Old 05-17-21, 09:16 AM
Franken Stone

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thank you Jmpierce! I guess I am the chosen one.....to get to the bottom of this saga. I’ve read what’s out there too. Being a conspiracy theorist at heart (entertainment purposes only) having an employee at a bike shop stating “We had a box delivered that had one of those (Maxina’s) in it that was postmarked from Olmo isn’t enough IMO to validate the birthplace of these unique and majestic Thorobreds. Having the Italians have there hands in on its conception by itself is a remarkable and unprecedented event. Cambiago Italy is where it would have been manufactured if indeed built by Colnago. Olmo is a whopping 6 miles (9.6 km) away from Colnago’s manufacturing facility. To make the leap from saying it was built in Olmo and not by Colnago due to a stateside distributors employees recollection of a postmark on a box with a bike in it that had “Olmo” as the senders location is kinda silly IMO. If there is any other info out there supporting Olmo as Nishiki’s Italian connection for bike building I’m all ears. I’m going to somehow get as close to the truth as I can on this one. I have no skin in this game as I don’t need the money. Last week I let go of a 65cm 72 Raleigh Professional Mark IV to a 6’5” guy that was so enamored by it that he had trouble putting into words what it would mean to him to be able to ride it’s wheels off. He sincerely and apologetically offered $350 as all he could possibly afford. I believed him. I said “Ok! Let’s put it in your car.” He had originally came for a Cycle-Ops trainer I had posted on CL for $15. Nothing personal to all the collectors out there but I put the bikes I build on a pedestal and feel that they should be allowed to do what they were created to do. BE RIDDEN! Not just be frozen in time in an air conditioned storage environment. Stay tuned and please if anybody has any info on this no natter how seemingly insignificant post away my friends. Post away.

Franken
Likes For Franken Stone:
Old 05-17-21, 09:48 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

My recollection from reading previous discussion about the Maxima and Cervino is that one model was built by Olmo, and the other was built by Colnago. I don't remember which was which. The determination can be found in the construction details when comparing to Olmo and Colnago frames built in the same era.
Old 05-17-21, 11:02 AM
Franken Stone

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
SWEET BABY JESUS! Eric F ‘a bringing the heat with this lil tidbit.
Exactly the type of info I’m searching for!!! I’ve reached out to Colnago to see if any historians work there or can help me in my quest for the truth. You R O C K Eric! Thank you.

Franken
Old 05-17-21, 11:12 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Franken Stone
SWEET BABY JESUS! Eric F ‘a bringing the heat with this lil tidbit.
Exactly the type of info I’m searching for!!! I’ve reached out to Colnago to see if any historians work there or can help me in my quest for the truth. You R O C K Eric! Thank you.

Franken
Almost all of what I learned came from reading old BF threads when I was researching info on the history of my Nishiki ONP frame in early 2020. T-Mar is a very knowledgeable guy on the history of Nishiki. Hopefully, he can offer some input, as well.