Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Katy Trail Info Jefferson City area

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-07-21, 07:05 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts

I am spending a week in Jefferson City, MO and its right next to a trail head for the Katy trail. Has anyone ridden this portion of the trail going east or west? I am going to bring a bike with me but not knowing about the trail is my CX bike more appropriate or can I use my road bike? There is conflicting info online about this.

I am excited to ride the trail but looking for a little bit more first hand info. If anyone has ridden the Katy is it better or worse surface than the Mickelson Trail in SD? I have been on that lots of hours and its not always packed limestone as advertised but still an amazing trail to ride.

Ignoring price what hotel there is good? My company is paying so anything under 170 is fair game, hoping to get a great hotel.

Any other suggestions about Jefferson City would be great...

thanks!!
Old 06-07-21, 07:24 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
The Katy trail is the gold standard of rail trails. Very well maintained, hard packed crushed gravel. Rode it a couple of years ago on a gravel bike loaded with paniers, 700x38 tires. CX would be preferred but it could be ridden with a normal road bike. Might need to slow down and come out of the saddle on some of the cross roads. Some can get a bit washed out.

Not sure on hotels, think we stayed some miles east of there. The Katy trail guide is very informative. Jefferson City is the capital, must be some nice places there.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 06-07-21, 08:02 PM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Rode the Katy in Sept 2019. Jeff City has a spur going into it with a cool bicycle ramp to get you onto & over the huge bridge. State museum there is great and worth a couple hours time, nice bike shop in town too. Wife and I camped in Hartsburg the night before. Following night we camped at the Blufton Barn and Jeff City was right between those two camps. This was just after the floods had receded, trail was still officially closed but we did it anyway with a few detours. Lot’s of sand from the flood but we rode from Sedalia back into Illinois on 35mm tires, fully loaded. I'd take a CX for sure.
Likes For veloz:
Old 06-07-21, 08:53 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
It’s less than 9 miles from my house to the junction with the Katy Trail, so I ride it all year long. This time of year the trail surface is pretty dry and firm, so I even ride it on smooth tread 32s with no problem. I use an old steel frame road bike and a CX is about ideal.

FYI, from Jeff City, the portion upstream towards Rocheport and Boonville has several lovely sections where the trail runs right next to the river. Heading downstream towards Tebbetts and Mokane, the trail runs along Highway 94 for 27 miles before you get a section where it runs close to the river.

Either way, it is a great trail with good surfaces, plenty of shade and towns along the route with places that cater to cyclists.

Have fun. Who knows? I might pass you on the trail!

I work a lot in Jeff City but don’t stay there in hotels much. I do know there is a very new Courtyard by Marriott just a couple blocks from the trailhead when you cross the river and reach town. Nice enough when I’ve been there for meetings.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 06-07-21 at 09:01 PM.
Likes For ofajen:
Old 06-07-21, 09:47 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

thanks all!! I will bring the CX bike.

Thanks for the Marriott tip, I like new joints over old. I don't care too much about cost, I am not footing the bill .

I looked at the elevation profile and it looks like it goes up hill very gradually going west but doesn't look like much of a rise. I hope to ride both ways if weather allows and get a taste of some decent miles both ways.
Old 06-07-21, 10:06 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
I've ridden the Katy twice, the second time we stayed at the Hilton in J-City. It's a full service hotel with a restaurant and bar, It's not far off the bridge, and you get to ride by the Capitol building. They don't mind you rolling dusty bikes through the lobby and on the elevators.

Yes, there's a looooonng 1<% grade heading west.

Katy Trail and Rock Island Trail Elevation Charts (bikekatytrail.com)
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 06-08-21, 07:56 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
I've ridden the Katy twice, the second time we stayed at the Hilton in J-City. It's a full service hotel with a restaurant and bar, It's not far off the bridge, and you get to ride by the Capitol building. They don't mind you rolling dusty bikes through the lobby and on the elevators.

Yes, there's a looooonng 1<% grade heading west.

Katy Trail and Rock Island Trail Elevation Charts (bikekatytrail.com)
thanks for the info. I am between the Hilton and Marriott right now. Both look like good places to stay. But if the Hilton is used to bikes already I will probably go that route.

The grade looks not bad, can't be any worse than the black hills. There are some brutal climbs on that trail.
Old 06-08-21, 09:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530

The grade looks not bad, can't be any worse than the black hills. There are some brutal climbs on that trail.
Brutal as rail-trains go. I hit it after doing Spearfish Canyon then up a second climb and down to the Engelwood Trailhead. Started the climb south of there and thought WTH? Then there was a climb from Mystic towards Hill City. Met a group of kids with a chaperone. They had started in Deadwood and were now walking up that climb. No way they got to Hill City before dark. I bombed the descent into town and it was nearly dark when I arrived. Hoping they beat the massive hail storm a couple of hours later.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-08-21, 08:13 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Brutal as rail-trains go. I hit it after doing Spearfish Canyon then up a second climb and down to the Engelwood Trailhead. Started the climb south of there and thought WTH? Then there was a climb from Mystic towards Hill City. Met a group of kids with a chaperone. They had started in Deadwood and were now walking up that climb. No way they got to Hill City before dark. I bombed the descent into town and it was nearly dark when I arrived. Hoping they beat the massive hail storm a couple of hours later.
YES, deadwood to hill city is a monster! Funny you say that we rode out there last week and I took my 10 year old and he rode it like a champ! Got to Redfern rest area for water and was just done...I said its all down hill to hill city now...he was like you better not be lying and there better be ice cream! It was a tough but great day ride.

Hill city to the bottom is much better but still a great trail. Spearfish canyon is awesome too. I have biked the needles highway too, that was a dog. Thought I was going to die.

pics from last week:

Likes For sdmc530:
Old 06-09-21, 10:30 AM
indyfabz

I rode a Needles loop from Custer clockwise. Easier climbing that direction, but I was knackered at the end. And that was with only one pannier with some rain gear and my pump.
Old 06-09-21, 11:44 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

I rode a Needles loop from Custer clockwise. Easier climbing that direction, but I was knackered at the end. And that was with only one pannier with some rain gear and my pump.

Yes, clockwise is the only way i think I can make that route. We usually start at Sylvan lake and go around. Its a monster still!
Old 06-09-21, 12:50 PM
indyfabz

Yes, clockwise is the only way i think I can make that route. We usually start at Sylvan lake and go around. Its a monster still!
I started at Fort Welikit Campground on SD 89, not that far from the center of town, and rode up to Sylvan Lake.

Heh. Found the map I made post-tour:

Dashboard · Ride with GPS

Looks like a lot of downhill, but that climbing that starts around mile 16 eventually eats into you. Despite that long downhill (about 1/3 of the entire loop mileage) you still come out with 100' of elevation gain/mile over the entire route. I had not planned on doing this loop during my time out there, so I didn't know what expect. I remember thinking "Where the hell did this climbing come from?" Stopped at Legion Lake Lodge and had a nice lunch that included a spinach salad with goat cheese and strawberries.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-09-21, 01:45 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

I started at Fort Welikit Campground on SD 89, not that far from the center of town, and rode up to Sylvan Lake.

Heh. Found the map I made post-tour:

Dashboard · Ride with GPS

Looks like a lot of downhill, but that climbing that starts around mile 16 eventually eats into you. Despite that long downhill (about 1/3 of the entire loop mileage) you still come out with 100' of elevation gain/mile over the entire route. I had not planned on doing this loop during my time out there, so I didn't know what expect. I remember thinking "Where the hell did this climbing come from?" Stopped at Legion Lake Lodge and had a nice lunch that included a spinach salad with goat cheese and strawberries.

You did great until the goat cheese part yuck! Nice job!
Old 06-09-21, 02:31 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
The Capitol Plaza offers a Katy rider deal and has storage for bikes on the premises if you don't want to store in your room.They're close to teh river, the capitol, and just a quick hop to the Katy.

What are you doing in Jeff City?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 06-09-21, 02:40 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by bbbean
The Capitol Plaza offers a Katy rider deal and has storage for bikes on the premises if you don't want to store in your room.They're close to teh river, the capitol, and just a quick hop to the Katy.

What are you doing in Jeff City?
thanks for the tip, I am going to look into that.

I have to travel there for Training with the MO State Police. I am doing a NTC course. So I should get two afternoons of riding in I hope maybe 3 if the weather cooperates.
Old 06-09-21, 03:15 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
thanks for the tip, I am going to look into that.

I have to travel there for Training with the MO State Police. I am doing a NTC course. So I should get two afternoons of riding in I hope maybe 3 if the weather cooperates.
Enjoy. The Katy is nice and the capitol is worth an hour or two for the art alone, much less the history. If you're interested in food, music, or nightlife, Columbia is a 45 minute drive, and has plenty to offer. Jeff City can be sort of slow when the legislature is out of town.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean: