Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Carbon bars

Old 07-18-21, 05:59 PM
Jeffoutlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Carbon bars

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with carbon bullhorns on steel frame bikes. I put carbon bullhorns on my Fuji Feather and it feels great. Anyone have opinions on mixing carbon parts on steel bikes.

Likes For Jeffoutlaw:
Old 07-18-21, 07:02 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Nothing wrong with mixing the two materials. It seems kind of silly for couple reasons:

- carbon bars are best suited to a weight weenie bike, and steel is the last material you should look to for such a bike
- steel is usually chosen for its low cost, and carbon is what you get when cost is your least concern

With that said, I think you should do whatever tickles your fancy. There are no laws prohibiting such a combo. Bike actually looks kind of cool, just needs some tape on the grip areas of the handlebar. How does it ride?
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-19-21, 06:00 AM
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
- carbon bars are best suited to a weight weenie bike, and steel is the last material you should look to for such a bike
- steel is usually chosen for its low cost, and carbon is what you get when cost is your least concern

Gotta respectfully disagree with you on a few points.

High-end steel can be extremely light. Like with this bike, which is 5.2kg for the complete build and 1.24kg for the unpainted frame alone. Granted, this is an extreme example, but steel bikes need not be heavy.

Nor does carbon necessarily mean lightweight. Depending on the application and what it’s intended to endure, carbon frames and parts may be quite beefy and not as light as you might expect.

I would say that steel can sometimes be the low-cost, heavier option, but high quality steel frames ride wonderfully and are very competitive weight-wise. Assuming a high level of quality, I would personally choose steel over every other frame material pretty much every time because I like the ride quality.

Personally, carbon parts on a steel bike don’t strike me as odd at all. When I get a new keirin frame, it’s going to be tricked out with all kinds of carbon parts and it’s going to be lovely. The combination of contemporary high-tech carbon and a classic steel frame is great, IMO. I currently have a carbon fork on my steel lo-pro and will be adding other carbon parts in the foreseeable future, including some integrated bars, seatpost, and rims.
Old 07-19-21, 09:00 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Be sure to respect any torque specifications on clamp tightening. Carbon fiber parts tend to be less forgiving of excess torque and tightness.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 07-19-21, 09:39 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave
High-end steel can be extremely light. Like with this bike, which is 5.2kg for the complete build and 1.24kg for the unpainted frame alone. Granted, this is an extreme example, but steel bikes need not be heavy...

...Nor does carbon necessarily mean lightweight. Depending on the application and what it’s intended to endure, carbon frames and parts may be quite beefy and not as light as you might expect.
You're not wrong.

I would say that steel can sometimes be the low-cost, heavier option, but high quality steel frames ride wonderfully and are very competitive weight-wise. Assuming a high level of quality, I would personally choose steel over every other frame material pretty much every time because I like the ride quality.
These are fair points.

I was speaking generally, and not in terms of the exceptions (high end, light weight steel frames; and lower cost or extra beefy carbon bars).

In spite of its name, the OP's Fuji Feather is no featherweight. Usually, steel is chosen because of its low cost. Carbon bars are typically much more expensive (and a little lighter) than aluminum ones. So I stand by my assertion that steel frames and carbon components make strange bedfellows, while stopping short of discouraging anyone to combine them. Nothing wrong with it, just doesn't make much sense usually.

Last edited by Broctoon; 07-19-21 at 11:09 AM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-19-21, 09:45 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,053 Times in 3,808 Posts
That bike is such a mish-mash of oddities that a CF handlebar fits right in with the rest.
Old 07-19-21, 10:01 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Personally, carbon parts on a steel bike don’t strike me as odd at all. When I get a new keirin frame, it’s going to be tricked out with all kinds of carbon parts and it’s going to be lovely. The combination of contemporary high-tech carbon and a classic steel frame is great, IMO.
I hope you post pics of this bike once it's complete. Sounds like a pretty cool concept.

If I had the money and garage space for more bikes, I'd love to build up a Keirin frame. But I would spec it with parts like you see on real race bikes: 36 spoke wheels, a Sugino or DA square taper crank, etc. Wouldn't insist on NJS stamps, because the only time you get any benefit from those is when you're actually trying to enter a Keirin race. But otherwise, I'd want it look as close as possible.

I'd also love a really light frame in high-end steel (or in aluminum, titanium, or carbon). I'd put all the carbon and titanium parts on it I could find. Integrated bar/stem could be cool, along with carbon crank, super light wheels, etc.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-19-21, 10:58 AM
Jeffoutlaw

The bike rides great. The stem is torqued to the manufacturer specified 4nm. This bike is my Frankenstein bike for trying out different setups. I'm planning on getting a Wabi or possibly locating a Cinelli in the future based off of my final setup of my Fuji Feather. Thanks to everyone for the input.
Likes For Jeffoutlaw:
Old 07-19-21, 08:40 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Gotta respectfully disagree with you on a few points.

High-end steel can be extremely light. Like with this bike, which is 5.2kg for the complete build and 1.24kg for the unpainted frame alone. Granted, this is an extreme example, but steel bikes need not be heavy.

Nor does carbon necessarily mean lightweight. Depending on the application and what it’s intended to endure, carbon frames and parts may be quite beefy and not as light as you might expect.

Personally, carbon parts on a steel bike don’t strike me as odd at all. When I get a new keirin frame, it’s going to be tricked out with all kinds of carbon parts and it’s going to be lovely. The combination of contemporary high-tech carbon and a classic steel frame is great, IMO. I currently have a carbon fork on my steel lo-pro and will be adding other carbon parts in the foreseeable future, including some integrated bars, seatpost, and rims.
I was going to disagree too, but his point isn't steel can't be light, it's that weight weenies aren't looking for steel frames because carbon is typically lighter. Plus given the price range, those people would buy a $1200 carbon frame vs a $1200 steel or alloy.
Old 07-19-21, 08:43 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffoutlaw
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with carbon bullhorns on steel frame bikes. I put carbon bullhorns on my Fuji Feather and it feels great. Anyone have opinions on mixing carbon parts on steel bikes.

Nothing wrong with it, makes a steel frame a bit lighter. Kinda like restomodding a car.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 07-23-21, 05:15 PM
Jeffoutlaw

I changed the stem and switched to a front brake with a top lever and added a little bit of bar tape.

I shortened the stem. Changed the brakes to a top lever front brake only. And added a little bit of bar tape on the horns. The steel frame and carbon bars soak up the road vibrations almost completely.
Old 07-23-21, 11:15 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Solid!
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-28-21, 05:09 AM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Nice seatpost to Jeff, what brand? Is it a vintage piece?

I like that style of handle bars with the flatish "hover" section. I spend a lot of riding time with my hands in just that spot.
Old 07-28-21, 12:58 PM
Murukai

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looks pretty cool. I am actually looking into modernizing my vintage bike as well and you have me wondering about carbon fiber now.
Likes For Murukai:
Old 07-28-21, 01:31 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Very nice. My favorite bike is similar: a fixed-gear 2005 Specialized Langster with aluminum everything, including frame, fork, wheels, bullhorns, and aero clip-on bars. Pretty light, and very comfortable for 5-hour-long rides in northern Baltimore County (except for the bigger hills, of course).
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-29-21, 07:53 AM
Jeffoutlaw

Bykemike the seat post is original. The bars are super comfortable. I've done a few 20 mile rides on them with no issues whatsoever.