Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

What year Raleigh could this be?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-21, 04:52 PM
univega.duder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
What year Raleigh could this be?

I was perusing craigslist and stumbled upon this Raleigh for $125. It's listed as a Raleigh Sport but I'm curious if any of you might be able to provide more info on the year, model or value. I'm intrigued by the shiny chrome bits and lovely Raleigh logo.. Any thoughts? Guesses? Thanks!

Old 08-22-21, 06:07 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
That's an odd one. Looks like someone repainted a Sports, including fake chrome--or maybe that's just raw steel with a clear coat. Looks like they brazed on canti studs & water bottle attachments??? Very weird thing to do. I guess it would be worth the asking price, if you know what you're getting into.

As far as the year, really hard to tell. These were pretty much the same year to year and without the date on the hub it's hard to tell.
Old 08-22-21, 06:23 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Yes, this looks like a Sports with all of the things removed that make a Sports special. The finish looks to be a powder coat with fake chrome, though it just may be painted and clear coated over raw steel (but then you'd see brass in the joints). Are the wheels mismatched? It looks like the front rim is different than the back. Neither would be original. Cantilever brakes were added as well. In today's market I'd say that the price is not out of line. I'd steer clear just because in reality it is just somebody else's project bike, though it is nicely done.
Old 08-22-21, 06:47 PM
univega.duder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
The seller listed the wheels as "27 x 1-1/4, Shimano hubs, Wolber Blue Label alloy rims" and described the frame as "Raleigh 1020 steel lugged design, satin chrome forkends and head lugs".

It does seem nicely done but too much of an oddball for me. I'm curious what the backstory on it might have been. Thank you for the responses!
Old 08-22-21, 07:16 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 2,177 Posts
-----

there is so much wrong here it is difficult to know wherest to commence

one flashing red warning light: while headplate is intended to be mounted with three fasteners it is mounted with adhesive

the aftermarket headset which has been installed is sure to be 24TPI whilst steerer is sure to be 26TPI

do not be surprised is something similar was perpetrated at the shell...

the rock group The Ventures put out a record album called Walk, Don't Run

in this case one should "run, don't walk" as far away as possible...from of this abomination

-----