Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bottom bracket type? Fit size, w: 70mm diam: 38mm

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-12-21, 04:32 AM
iniqy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I have a fit size bottom bracket with a width of 70mm and an inner diameter (ID) of 38mm.
Will BB30 fit?

It's a road bike Gazelle Chamonix +-15 years old (and I can't find anything about it).

Thanks!
Old 09-12-21, 05:10 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Is it threaded? 15 year old bike most likely

​​​​​​https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...0Thread%2DThru.
Old 09-12-21, 06:48 AM
iniqy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not threaded. It has cups, fit size. I did a search for 'gazelle 38mm' and I found out that it's a Gazelle specific bottom bracket which are still for sale fortunately.. but I am doomed to have a square tapered bottom bracket again (I wasn't planning to drill out the frame until 42mm so I can fit BB30 brackets, but it's possible).
Old 09-12-21, 09:13 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by iniqy
Not threaded. It has cups, fit size. I did a search for 'gazelle 38mm' and I found out that it's a Gazelle specific bottom bracket which are still for sale fortunately.. but I am doomed to have a square tapered bottom bracket again (I wasn't planning to drill out the frame until 42mm so I can fit BB30 brackets, but it's possible).
I'll defer to anyone who has specific experience in doing this, of course.

But reaming a 38mm ID BB shell to 42 mm ID would increase at least part of the BB's inner diameter by 4mm - which is almost 1/6". Seems to me that would require be removing quite a lot of metal from the inside of the BB. Are you sure the BB shell is thick enough to allow that without compromising structural integrity?
Old 09-12-21, 01:12 PM
iniqy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True, I am sure that it would become a pretty lame frame because outer diameter is 45mm (I am unsure of the usual thinkness of frame?). Lucky thing is that only the outer parts (~10mm) need to be drilled out more to fit a nice thread-thru BB30 bracket. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 09-13-21, 12:01 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by iniqy
but I am doomed to have a square tapered bottom bracket again
... as no one ever said who had cotter pin cranks

As a goose-neck frame road bike, the press fit bearings are fine. I am currently overhauling my 1983 Amsterdam, and other than the cotter pin removal the actual working on the BB is no more challenging than a front hub. Nothing lame at all, just an older technology. Enjoy it.