Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tu apprends le français?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tu apprends le français?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-20, 10:52 AM
roulez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tu apprends le français?

Tu veux apprendre le français? Je cherche un camarade le apprendre ensemble. Peut-être je voyage a Quebec où je roule ou randonne. Je roule très lentement, environ moins de 12 km/h quand j’utilise mon vélo lourd.

Moderator Edited to add English text of the above post. Please understand that Bike Forums is an English language forum.

You learn French?
Do you want to learn French? I'm looking for a comrade to learn it together. Maybe I travel to Quebec where I ride or hike. I ride very slowly, around less than 12 km / h when I use my heavy bike.

Last edited by cb400bill; 04-29-20 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Show text in English
Likes For roulez:
Old 04-19-20, 11:24 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Nous avons eu l'opportunité de vivre à Roussillon pendant 8 ans. Ma femme était linguiste. ce que j'appris être hors de France depuis 6 ans, est d'obtenir faible. Maintenant que j'ai plus de temps, je me suis réinscrit à Rosetta Stone. . Mon vocabulaire est OK, mais l'application est pauvre.
J'adorerais parcourir Eastern Townships , en bordure du Vermont.,Mon souhait ultime est de retourner dans les Pyrénées orientales dans l'année et de rendre visite à de vieux amis cyclistes dans les Pyrénées orientales.
Quelle est la qualité de mon français? Mauvais. Mais, quand nous vivions en France. Les automobilistes m'arrêtaient et me demandaient des directions. Ils semblaient comprendre. lol
I hope my French will somewhat return before I return to France, hopefully within the year.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 04-26-20, 08:08 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Well monsieur roulez, keep up the practising. When one day it will be suitable to come and tour here in Quebec, I can say that people really appreciate when someone makes an effort speaking their language.

In case you don't know about this cycling organization, Velo Quebec, check out their website. There is an English version and velo Quebec has put a lot of effort over the years organizing La Route Verte, a series of safer biking routes throughout Quebec.
They also run numerous fondo type events, fully supported trips like the week long Grande Aventure, which is probably unlikely to take place this August, but who knows....
we've done la grande tour a bunch of times, great food, well organized routing, support, a fun atmosphere too.

hope one day you can come here. You're from where.?
oh, sorry but I'm not looking to answer your request, more to encourage you.
cheers and salut
Old 04-26-20, 09:56 AM
roulez

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djb
Well monsieur roulez, keep up the practising. When one day it will be suitable to come and tour here in Quebec, I can say that people really appreciate when someone makes an effort speaking their language.

You're from where.?
oh, sorry but I'm not looking to answer your request, more to encourage you.
cheers and salut
Merci! J'ai ajouté mon lieu. Il y a une école de l'etate de français par Michelin, ici à Greenville, Caroline de Sud.

Je m'amelioré au français! Je m'amuse le langue français au France, au Québec, ou même Louisiane.

Le langue québécois sonne un peu similaire ce que les parlent à la campagne français quand j'ai écouté à "Passe-moi les jumelles" sur YouTube. J'ai écouté également à la radio Sirius et leur chaînes québécois.
Old 04-26-20, 10:05 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Je parle francais aussi et j'ai envie de faire un voyage a Quebec aussi une journee. J'ecoute des programmes en francias pour n'oublier la langue.
Old 04-26-20, 07:12 PM
djb

South Carolina, guess depending on your English accent, you must sound interesting speaking French!
whenever I've heard Louisiana French, it's pretty darn curious sounding, but realistically that because of being isolated since the French left and the all powerful influence of being a blip in an English environment, not to mention a rather particular English accent being in the south.

I'm an Anglo by the way. Too damn lazy to write in French on this device with its annoying autocorrect when I type in other languages.
Old 04-29-20, 02:17 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Quebecois French is markedly different from European French. The pronunciation is substantially different, many words have a different meaning in Quebec than they do in France, and there are a fair number of English words and some literal translations of English thrown in that you don't hear in French-speaking Europe (e.g. ice cream = "Crème glacée" in Quebec but is "glace" in France). I think the difference between Quebecois French and European French is much greater than the difference between American English and British English, for example.

I've heard some Americans claim that when they've been in Paris and attempted to speak French, that Parisians replied to them in English. (That has never happened to me, but my French and my accent are pretty good.) Last night, however, a Quebecois man told me a story that I found hilarious. He said that when he was in Paris, many Parisians couldn't understand his Quebecois French and some actually replied to him in English.
Old 04-29-20, 04:30 PM
djb

As someone living in Quebec, everything that axo is saying is pretty much on the money.
Likei said, I'm an Anglo, but I can put on a strong Quebecois accent like a blue collar factory worker, and switch to a France French accent when traveling in France so that folks can understand me better. My French is by no means perfect, but good enough to be able to hear different French accents to a certain extent.
Old 04-29-20, 06:53 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by axolotl
Quebecois French is markedly different from European French. The pronunciation is substantially different, many words have a different meaning in Quebec than they do in France, and there are a fair number of English words and some literal translations of English thrown in that you don't hear in French-speaking Europe (e.g. ice cream = "Crème glacée" in Quebec but is "glace" in France). I think the difference between Quebecois French and European French is much greater than the difference between American English and British English, for example.
Yes, on visits to Montreal I learned the "creme glacee" bit, also a pizza slice is a "pointe de pizza". I only speak a tiny bit of French but occasionally it helped. The Québécois seem pretty tolerant of folks with poor French skills. Even the English can be different, I was puzzled when an Anglophone taxi driver said "cut" but finally realized it was "caught".
Old 04-29-20, 07:13 PM
djb

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Yes, on visits to Montreal I learned the "creme glacee" bit, also a pizza slice is a "pointe de pizza". I only speak a tiny bit of French but occasionally it helped. The Québécois seem pretty tolerant of folks with poor French skills. Even the English can be different, I was puzzled when an Anglophone taxi driver said "cut" but finally realized it was "caught".
you'll hear English people say, "close the light" instead of the proper "turn off the light"
and we sprinkle French words in a lot as everyone knows what they are and they become used without a second thought , like "I'm going to the deppaneur to buy some milk"
Old 04-30-20, 07:54 AM
jboivin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a Fench-speking Montrealer myself, I can confirm the "The French replied in English" thing. Went to France last year and it happened a couple of times. Of course, we were speaking French, but I think it comes to the use of certain words that are uncommon in France. For example, us Quebecers will greet people with "Allo!", which I think was confused with an English "Hello!", hence the reply in English. I have French friends and we always have fun comparing expressions and word usage.

Anyway, to the OP, hope you'll be able to visit Quebec sooner than later. As people said, Quebecois French is indeed different from European French, but the basics are still the same. And a lot of people have also at least a basic knowledge of English and will be happy to help.

Bonne route, si le COVID-19 peut vous laisser voyager bientôt
Old 05-01-20, 08:21 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
I speak French reasonably well but I certainly do not have a perfect accent. It can get quite ridiculous. When visiting Quebec I spoke to a store clerk in French. He replied in English - but his English wasn’t as good as my French. So I continued to speak poorly accented French - and he continued to respond in broken, poorly accented English!
Old 05-02-20, 09:17 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
en peu.. I can still remember some...J'ai pris le français quand j'étais au lycée, mais c'était il y a 45 ans ... ( thanks to google translate! )