Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tubeless tire repair

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tubeless tire repair

Old 05-16-21, 11:27 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Tubeless tire repair

Long story short, I punctured my rear tire on my road bike at some point, but I became aware of it on a 160km ride about 40km in and every 20-30 minutes thereafter I’d get a short blast of sealant all over my leg, and of course the seat tube and rear triangle, with the puncture ostensibly sealing in between these “blasts.” Not to mention, several of the guys I was riding with commented that they had also been sprayed with the “milk”…and I had to endure a few bad jokes about certain types of movies at the pub after the ride. I put a bacon strip in it, and proceeded to take off on a group ride with he clubs yesterday, and 2.5km in, the bacon strip came out of the cut, and the tire deflated.

There is plenty of tread left on the tire, and I don’t want to bin it if at all possible, but I am not inclined to retry the bacon. I did a quick search on repairing tubeless tires (using a tube patch applied opt the inside of the tire, sanded down, cemented in place), has anyone tried this hard any experience? It strikes me that if there is a good bond so air and sealant can’t sneak past and come out of the puncture hole, this should be fine, since the air pressure will certainly continue to keep the patch in place. I’ve already applied a patch, and am going to let it sit for a day or so, then remount the tire…unless there is some definitive experience that this is a bad plan. Of note, the tires are Tubless ready and are being used a hooked tubeless rim (crotcheted).
Old 05-16-21, 11:31 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
It sounds like you have already done it. Yes, I would be putting a patch on the inside of the tire.
Old 05-17-21, 02:41 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Right. Have you personally done this, or are you just offering a helpful bit of advice on where to place the patch?
Old 05-17-21, 04:17 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
I have personally patched the inside of numerous tubeless tires and never had a failure of the patch. At least two of them had two patches side by side, because of a pinch flat, on MTB tires. I don't like to leave the bacon strips in the tires, so I usually take them out when I get home and patch the tire on the inside. I clean the area of any sealant, abrade lightly and wipe with acetone before applying cement and the patch.
Old 05-17-21, 05:52 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Originally Posted by dsaul
I clean the area of any sealant, abrade lightly and wipe with acetone before applying cement and the patch.
Exactly what I did. Good to hear. I will remount the tire this evening, and get it refilled with sealant. Thanks!
Old 05-17-21, 07:50 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
I will do this for very small patches, but would use a tubeless-specific patch on a larger hole. I prefer the dynaplug to bacon strips, and have never lost one after installing. If I were to have a hole that the plug could not hold, I would want a fabric-reinforced patch that would resist separation in the tire. This would be especially true for the higher pressures in a road tubeless setup. A regular patch could potentially herniate through the tire casing like a regular tube.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=77573
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 05-17-21, 11:53 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Thank for the link. The patch I applied “looks” exactly the same as their patches they show in the picture…not sure if they are identical, but they sure look very similar.
Old 05-17-21, 12:44 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Thank for the link. The patch I applied “looks” exactly the same as their patches they show in the picture…not sure if they are identical, but they sure look very similar.
The standard Rema patches have an orange border.

I don't think that you would have the fabric-reinforced patches on accident.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 05-17-21, 12:57 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Patch it from the inside, don't leave a plug in. Yes I have done it more than once.
Old 05-17-21, 01:18 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Originally Posted by aggiegrads
The standard Rema patches have an orange border.

I don't think that you would have the fabric-reinforced patches on accident.
Definitley not. The patches had an orange border but no fabric that I can see, just butyl/rubber.
Old 05-17-21, 02:18 PM
sincos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Had a little problem last year:

Horrible clattering noise but the tire didn't lose air

When I pulled it out it turned out to be one of these
Got a patch for car and motorcycle tires (like the kind you get at an auto parts store), cemented it on the inside, and ... 1200 miles later I'd completely forgotten it was there until this post reminded me of it.
Likes For sincos:
Old 05-17-21, 10:39 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

That’s good to know…I had heard of folks doing this with MTB and larger volume gravel tires where the pressures are much lower than the 72-75psi I was running on the road. But, conceptually I don’t see it being different, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t undertaking a fools errand trying to patch tires that will run at higher pressures…also good to know about the fabric reinforced patches. I ordered some yesterday. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 05-18-21, 02:46 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Nice that Rema have got with the program and made smaller bicycle tubeless patches,
Old 05-18-21, 08:13 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
That’s good to know…I had heard of folks doing this with MTB and larger volume gravel tires where the pressures are much lower than the 72-75psi I was running on the road. But, conceptually I don’t see it being different, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t undertaking a fools errand trying to patch tires that will run at higher pressures…also good to know about the fabric reinforced patches. I ordered some yesterday. Thanks for all the replies.
I'm running 78 and 87 psi. My current rear tire has two patches on the inside. The trick is to make sure you clean and rough up the inside where the hole or small cut is, use rubber patches and vulcanizing cement. Also put a dab of cement in the hole/cut on the outside if you can. Some are hard to find. After it's totally dry, mount and add sealant. I have 100% confidence on my patch repairs.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 05-18-21, 08:26 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
I use this. No mess. No glue.

https://www.parktool.com/product/super-patch-kit-gp-2
Likes For prj71:
Old 05-18-21, 08:34 AM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I had good success patching a 3/8" sidewall cut in a WTB Resolute. I superglued the cut and used a large automotive tubeless patch from Autozone which was thicker than an inner tube patch but more flexible. It bonded so well you could see the black patch through the gum sidewalls. Be very careful sanding/roughing the inside so as not to cut through the threads. I have also used a inner tube patch on a smaller cut, which worked well.
Old 05-19-21, 01:44 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Will these patches still work with a non rubber inner?
I'm running Vittoria corsa graphene 2.0, they're a cloth / cotton inner with a rubber tread basically glued onto the outside..

​​​​I have a noticeable little cut on the tread which I havent been able to seal with sealant or plug + sealant.
I was considering superglue, but I feel like that would just work its way loose eventually..
And since it's not a rubber inside, I'm not sure if these inner Tyre patches will do anything?
Old 05-19-21, 08:53 AM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
i don't know if that will work, but its easy to test. i have seen on the web people sew up a bad cut before patching it. Maybe that's a worth search.