Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mixing Campag derailleurs with Shimano shifters

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-21, 05:04 AM
Rcartes
Richard C

Bikes: Moulton TSR, Brompton 9-speed, Brompton 6-speed, Pashley Sovereign Princess

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for advice here: I have a Campag 10-speed setup with Campag road shifters but, due to the inevitable effects of ageing, I find a drop bar set-up uncomfortable; I'd like to scrap the drop bars and introduce flat bars. The problem is that Campag produce road mechs only, not MTB ones, and I really need to change to MTB-type grip/trigger shifters.

Looking around the internet, it seems that it is possible to mix Shimano 10-speed trigger shifters with Campag derailleurs/cassettes, using a Jtek 5 Shiftmate. So far so good, but what I really want to ask is, has anyone successfully used this combination?

I'd greatly appreciate advice before embarking on this change...
Old 08-31-21, 06:32 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I've performed dozens of drops-to-flatbar conversions. My experience with length-of-pull adapters leaves me to think that they are a compromise at best. They are a bit fiddly to use, and they DO work, but I'm a purist at heart and try not to use them unless a customer insists. Why not just get Shimano derailleurs with the appropriate Shimano shifter? A setup like that will shift flawlessly, and you wont have anything proprietary to deal with.
Old 08-31-21, 06:53 AM
Rcartes
Richard C

Bikes: Moulton TSR, Brompton 9-speed, Brompton 6-speed, Pashley Sovereign Princess

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
I've performed dozens of drops-to-flatbar conversions. My experience with length-of-pull adapters leaves me to think that they are a compromise at best. They are a bit fiddly to use, and they DO work, but I'm a purist at heart and try not to use them unless a customer insists. Why not just get Shimano derailleurs with the appropriate Shimano shifter? A setup like that will shift flawlessly, and you wont have anything proprietary to deal with.
Well, thank you, that would certainly be a lot easier - but can I put a Shimano derailleur onto a Campag hub, or would I need to change that as well? I'm operating at the limit of my technical ability/knowledge here...
Old 08-31-21, 07:05 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
I have run Shiftmates on a number of my bikes and when speced properly they work fine. Andy
Old 08-31-21, 07:10 AM
Rcartes
Richard C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rcartes
Well, thank you, that would certainly be a lot easier - but can I put a Shimano derailleur onto a Campag hub, or would I need to change that as well? I'm operating at the limit of my technical ability/knowledge here...
Actually, following on from that, this Australian website suggests it's not too difficult (or expensive): Changing a freehub body. So I'd have to change (a) the freehub and (b) the cassette and shifters - but would the derailleur mech itself be the same for anything?
Old 08-31-21, 07:49 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
If you can put an 11 speed Campy cassette on your hub, that should work with Shimano 11 speed shifters and rear derailleur.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-31-21, 09:40 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If you can put an 11 speed Campy cassette on your hub, that should work with Shimano 11 speed shifters and rear derailleur.
Agreed.
Old 08-31-21, 03:41 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
I ran a Shimano shifter and a J-Tek Shiftmate on a Campy 10S Veloce cassette and Centaur RD... No issues.

JTek Shiftmate, Campagnolo 10s Rear, Dura Ace 10s index

Campy did make some flat bar shifters in Veloce. They used to be a lot cheaper than the pandemic prices now seen.... I only have one set myself purchased years ago.
Veloce Flat Bar Shifter

Right now I just leave my down tube shifters on with my flat bars. Doesn't bother me at all.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics

Last edited by canopus; 08-31-21 at 03:46 PM.