Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain Help

Old 06-03-21, 03:16 PM
jojimbo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain Help

Hi everyone, I don't know a lot about tinkering with my bike but I'm trying to learn. I took my back wheel off to practice getting it off an on again, I watched a video that said to align the chain on the smallest chainrings when taking it on and off so I did that but now it rubs like crazy on the bottom of a part of the derailleur and I don't know how to fix it. Once I shift it into 4th in the rear it stops rubbing, thanks a lot for any help. Apparently I can't post a picture or even a link to one yet, but I'll add it shortly.
Old 06-03-21, 03:27 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
so, the chain never rubbed before you began tinkering and watched the video? usually that would indicate you have a front derailleur that's either set too high on the seat tube or the derailleur is being used beyond it's capacity. but, if it didn't do it before, something else is happening...possibly. are you running a triple ring crankset?
Old 06-03-21, 03:31 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Tough to diagnose without seeing what is going on.

For your awareness, the recommendation of the chain being in a certain gear (small/small) is simply reducing tension and creating enough slack where it is easier to remove and reinstall the wheel. Don't get hung up on that. All you should need to do is put the wheel on, get the chain in the gear it was in when you took it off and turn the pedals to make sure. If it's not in the exact gear, turning the pedals usually moves the chain so it corrects itself. Conversely you could take the wheel off in any gear, then shift until the derailleurs are in the small/small, then reinstall the wheel and put the chain on the small/small.

The rubbing on your front derailleur could be that you accidently shifted it and it is not positioned over the small ring, but it is on the large ring and you are trying to jam the chain on the small ring or vise versa.
Old 06-03-21, 03:48 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
First time I ever swapped a chain, I got it wrong.
I misrouted it through the RDER and it was rubbing on a "tab".

Easiest thing to do, if you have another bike handy, is to look at the working bike and make it look like that.
Else, there's thousands of pics of correct chain routing on the net.
Old 06-03-21, 05:08 PM
Pepper Jack

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Is it very easy to do actual damage when working with the chain or is it generally pretty easy to do if you know what your doing?
Old 06-03-21, 06:04 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by Pepper Jack
Is it very easy to do actual damage when working with the chain or is it generally pretty easy to do if you know what your doing?
Depends on what you did.

If it's a mountain bike with triple chainrings, or a road bike with triple rings and a wide-range rear cluster, chances are you did nothing wrong. These drivetrains just aren't made to use the small-small combination. The small "climbing" ring is only to be used with the slow end of the cassette, i.e., the big cogs. Every derailleur system has "forbidden" combinations. Generally, the small chainring is for the slow end of the cassette, the middle ring can cover the entire cassette, and the big ring is only for the fast end.The important thing, though, is to have enough chain to shift into big-big without jamming everything up.

Shift into the middle ring and report back.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 06-03-21, 09:17 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Pepper Jack
We still have no idea what you did, so impossible to say.
Old 06-04-21, 09:05 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Post your picture somewhere on a hosting site and write the share link to that pic in the plain text of your next message. Remove the https:// and also put a space between the . (dot)

So something like https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/21308428 becomes www . bikeforums . net/g/picture/21308428

Most of us here know how to make it a working URL again.
Old 06-04-21, 03:33 PM
jojimbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Post your picture somewhere on a hosting site and write the share link to that pic in the plain text of your next message. Remove the https:// and also put a space between the . (dot)

So something like https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/21308428 becomes www . bikeforums . net/g/picture/21308428

Most of us here know how to make it a working URL again.
Thanks, I'd just thought about that but since I'm new I'd reached a 5 post within 24 hour limit, I'm out of purgatory though so here's a picture
Old 06-04-21, 03:37 PM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Without venturing any idea as to what actually happened, it's noticeable that the chain is rubbing against one of the derailleur pulleys. One thing to try is to go all the way up and back down in gears, and see if it settles down. And also to watch closely what happens when you do so while turning the crank slowly by hand.

Is the chain also on the smallest chain ring in front? The "small-small" combination can be problematic on many bikes, and is usually avoided.
Old 06-04-21, 03:42 PM
jojimbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Without venturing any idea as to what actually happened, it's noticeable that the chain is rubbing against one of the derailleur pulleys. One thing to try is to go all the way up and back down in gears, and see if it settles down. And also to watch closely what happens when you do so while turning the crank slowly by hand.

Is the chain also on the smallest chain ring in front? The "small-small" combination can be problematic on many bikes, and is usually avoided.
Yeah it was on the smallest chain rings in the front and the back so I could take the tire off, I didn't know it was a bad thing and isn't really supposed to be like that any other time.
Old 06-04-21, 03:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Doesn't look like it's on the small sprocket. Looks like it is on the lock ring.

And if it is on the cog, then is the chain on the chain wheels up front at the crank? You chain looks too loose since it's touching the jockey wheel and that little tab. Gravity might be playing a part in things too here. It's best to do this with the bike right side up. Though it takes a few times to learn how to hold and get the wheel in place properly.
Old 06-04-21, 04:18 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
Either you didn't have the chain on ANY ring, or it's too long.
Here's a pic of my Altus in Small:Small. I have the chain sized a bit long so I can go to a slightly larger cog if I want. (I change cassettes seasonally)

Here's how I typically size a chain-
Put it on BIG:BIG
See how much "slack" you can pull without forcing it.
You want between 1-2".

Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 06-04-21, 04:20 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I think this is just a matter of the OP never having it in the small/small until it was put there to take off the wheel. What we just found out is his chain is too long.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 06-04-21, 05:03 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by jojimbo
Thanks, I'd just thought about that but since I'm new I'd reached a 5 post within 24 hour limit, I'm out of purgatory though so here's a picture
Looks like your chain is too long. Did you trim the new chain to match the length of the old chain?
Old 06-04-21, 09:59 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Take the photos right-side-up...please.
Old 06-04-21, 10:18 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Take the photos right-side-up...please.
I did head stand (assisted) to look at the photo, which seems to show that the chain is too long (assuming it is routed correctly).
Old 06-04-21, 11:35 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
You might have it on small chainring in front (well, pretty sure of that) which creates too much slack in chain and the RD tries to take the slack up and basically collapses the tensioning wheel arm to maximum. Chain when its is in use, like when you ride your bike, should never be on the small chainring in front and small sprocket on cassette in the rear. As explained above, you can do this to make the chain slack for easier removal and installation of the rear wheel but that is not a gear you should ever ride in.

Some bikes are able to deal with this extreme setting and they wouldn't rub the chain as your bike does when put into 'small small' gears, but that still doesn't mean the bike should be put in that gear when you ride on it. That is called cross chaining and there is no reason for selecting such a gear setting except here to get the most slack in chain.

The chain at bottom when it starts to enter the RD bottom jockey wheel rubs on the top jockey wheel (you got the bike upside down but top jockey wheel here means the one that is closer to cassette)

I take it, you didn't do anything with your chain (like disconnecting it for removal from the bike), only removed the wheel and put it back.

Last edited by vane171; 06-04-21 at 11:39 PM.