Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1986 Schwinn Peloton & 1987 Cannondale SR500

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-21, 09:57 AM
schwinnbikebob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 16 Posts

A few months back I found this 86 Peloton locally. I had never seen one in person. Other than the Paramount it was top of the line in 86. It was covered in nicotine staining. Quite the job to clean it up. In talking with a buddy who worked at a Schwinn store during this time he said they only got a couple because they were so expensive for one and two the big tube Cannondales were trouncing all the competition.

So got me thinking "Even now I want a big tube Cannondale too" Knowing nothing about them, are they hard/easy to find, how much are they etc. All I knew was it had to be white. Well this one popped up in driving distance and I might have paid to much but it was the right size and color so I did it. Pretty cool bike!

Old 10-23-21, 10:06 AM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 91 Posts
What was your white paint deep cleaning process ?
Old 10-23-21, 11:12 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
They look brand new. Great job!

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 10-23-21, 11:38 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
What is the read derailleur on the Peleton?

I’d take the Peleton any day if the week, I never liked the ride of the Cannondale.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-23-21, 12:57 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Wow, both look really, really sweet for white bikes!
Old 10-23-21, 01:08 PM
schwinnbikebob

My cleaning was with Meguiars Heavy Cut cleaner #4 followed by Meguiars Cleaner wax #6. Kept repeating. Everytime I thought I was done I'd find places I did not see.

Rear derailleur would have originally matched the front so a New Superbe Pro but I bought this from the original owner and he said a few years ago it would not get the low gears so he had it replaced with a Light Action. I asked him if he kept the original and even though he didn't say it I got the it didn't work why would I keep it look.
Old 10-23-21, 01:10 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Wow, both look really, really sweet for white bikes!
Yeah, I am not a huge fan of white bikes, but really great job in cleaning them up. They look very good.
Old 10-23-21, 01:22 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
What is the read derailleur on the Peleton?

I’d take the Peleton any day if the week, I never liked the ride of the Cannondale.
Same here. Although they can be speedy, the ride is harsher than I care for. The Peleton is a very nice, lightweight steel bike.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 10-23-21, 01:43 PM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
If I had to choose between those two, I'd take the Cannondale every time. I have one of the later, mid-90s Reynolds 853 Pelotons. Great bike; I rode it almost exclusively for 10 years, until I got my first aluminum road bike. It was love at first ride with the aluminum bike. I've had the Peloton out maybe once or twice in the last 16 years.
Old 10-23-21, 06:30 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
I missed out on a Basket Case White Peloton a while back and still kick myself. I tried to convince myself that the Centurion Turbo that I had at the time was just as nice.

Too cool bikes. Hard to believe the bar tape on the Schwinn. Is it new? And the wheels?

Last edited by Classtime; 10-23-21 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-23-21, 08:48 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Both those bikes are drop dead gorgeous! The white wall tires really seal the deal.
Old 10-24-21, 07:14 PM
schwinnbikebob

Does anybody have any info on the Cannondale custom airbrush graphics? Surprised they could have done that with how many they were selling. Maybe they had a lot of guys doing it. Wonder how much extra it cost?

Classtime: Both of them have NOS vintage Benotto smooth white pearl tape. My last package went on the Cannondale. Kind of hate that but maybe can find some more at a bike show.

Last edited by schwinnbikebob; 10-24-21 at 07:17 PM.
Likes For schwinnbikebob:
Old 10-25-21, 04:41 PM
Ragel

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Nice! I have a 1986 Schwinn Peloton as well. It is Resto-Modded with Campy 10 speed mix. It is the bike I will never sell, it rides that nice!
Old 10-25-21, 11:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by schwinnbikebob
Does anybody have any info on the Cannondale custom airbrush graphics? Surprised they could have done that with how many they were selling. Maybe they had a lot of guys doing it. Wonder how much extra it cost?
No idea about cost difference, but all that I've seen are usually a few squiggly lines and some dots andtor arrows. Pretty simple shapes, basically. Not sure how much extra time it would take, but I would figure not too mFYI.
I dobt think it was a high volume of airbrushed frames, relative to how many were produced in that '87 timeframe.

The letters on the driveline dropout are the painter's initials, fyi.
Old 10-26-21, 05:27 AM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by schwinnbikebob
Does anybody have any info on the Cannondale custom airbrush graphics? Surprised they could have done that with how many they were selling. Maybe they had a lot of guys doing it. Wonder how much extra it cost?.
That's an interesting story. Cannondale had switched to a new system for heat-treating their frames; an unexpected result was that a sizeable proportion of the frames ended up with, e.g., down tubes that were slightly warped, i.e., less than perfectly straight.

The number of frames with warped tubes was large enough that Cannondale was unwilling to junk them (especially since the frames with warped tubes were perfectly aligned and the warping was only a cosmetic problem). So someone at the company came up with the idea of airbrushing intricate patterns on the frame tubes to make the warping harder to see.

I think that they might have offered us dealers a slight discount of the warped/airbrushed frames, but I don't remember for sure. In any event, the airbrushing appealed to enough customers that Cannondale continued offering it as a feature for a while, even after they'd fixed the heat-treating problem.

Last edited by Trakhak; 10-26-21 at 05:31 AM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 10-26-21, 07:27 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Dang those are slick! I don't think I've seen a cleaner example of either. Cannondale's paint was less than durable back then.
Old 10-26-21, 07:34 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
In the late 80's, a racer buddy was trying to get me into racing.
His advice was to buy a Cannondale with a 600 group because it was good and cheap and competitive, and I could always upgrade to Italian later if I wanted too.
Kind of my experience too. The dealership that sponsored the team i rode for sold Cannondales, so most of the guys' had a "Dale. I wanted one too, but even at a steep discount, couldnt make the numbers work (young, married and in college )

Those days, if you lined up at a crit, 3/4's of the bikes would either be a Cannondale or onbe of the carbon lugged Specialized Epic's . Shimano tri color was considered "pretty uptown"
Old 10-26-21, 10:50 AM
schwinnbikebob

Love the graphics story!!! I bet someone at Cannondale got a real nice bonus for coming up with that idea and charging extra for it!! Beautiful! It's not overly complicated but in my opinion really add's to the bikes looks.

Last edited by schwinnbikebob; 10-26-21 at 10:56 AM.
Likes For schwinnbikebob:
Old 10-26-21, 11:27 AM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by shoota
Dang those are slick! I don't think I've seen a cleaner example of either. Cannondale's paint was less than durable back then.
If there was ever a time when Cannondale's paint jobs were not at least as durable as anything else on the market, I'm unaware of it. Their paint was certainly far more durable than that used on the majority of Italian bikes of the '80s, although, to be fair, the Italians were building their frames for semi-pro or pro bike racers, who wouldn't expect a steel racing frame to last more than a couple of seasons of hard riding.

For more evidence of the durability of Cannondale paint, take a look at the long-running "Show us your vintage Cannondale!" thread in the C&V forum. The proportion of frames with like-new original paint jobs is remarkable.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 10-26-21, 11:40 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I thought that design around the headtube of the Cannondale looks a lot like one of the Crest bikes.
Old 10-26-21, 12:16 PM
himespau 

Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Nice bikes.
Old 10-26-21, 12:58 PM
shoota 

Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
If there was ever a time when Cannondale's paint jobs were not at least as durable as anything else on the market, I'm unaware of it. Their paint was certainly far more durable than that used on the majority of Italian bikes of the '80s, although, to be fair, the Italians were building their frames for semi-pro or pro bike racers, who wouldn't expect a steel racing frame to last more than a couple of seasons of hard riding.

For more evidence of the durability of Cannondale paint, take a look at the long-running "Show us your vintage Cannondale!" thread in the C&V forum. The proportion of frames with like-new original paint jobs is remarkable.
Wow, that completely flies in the face of my experience, and others, on this forum. I've never seen a vintage Cannondale without chipped paint.
Old 10-26-21, 01:11 PM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by shoota
Wow, that completely flies in the face of my experience, and others, on this forum. I've never seen a vintage Cannondale without chipped paint.
As I said, take a look at the "Vintage Cannondales" C&V thread. Several of the bike owners have remarked on the durability of the paint.