Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic disc vs mechanical disc brakes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hydraulic disc vs mechanical disc brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-19, 05:22 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
If we include the most basic and budget bikes, then sure, but only because its cheaper. Not better or even equally good. Cant imagine any half decent road or gravel bike with mechanical discs in a few years, just like hydro have replaced mechanical in mtbs.
Well, for one reason to use mechanical, if you have to disassemble your bike for air travel such as a bike with couplers. That's more difficult or at least more problematic with hydraulics. Paul's components now make a mechanical disc brake so there will be a mechanical disc brake available for a very long time.

There are also a ton of frames out there set up for mechanical and they will continue to need support. This is the same thing that has happened with cantilevers, V-brakes, long pull calipers etc.... All still available. I doubt there will be any difference with mechanical disc brakes either.
Old 05-18-19, 08:14 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Didn't everyone have this discussion 20 years ago re mountain bikes? I still have my Titus Racer X with mech discs and they still work great. Hydros have always worked a little better, but with a tradeoff of complexity. Cable selection has always been critical for mech discs.
Old 05-18-19, 08:36 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Mechanical discs were a hassle, issues with noise, rubbing, etc.
My experience with hydraulic disc brakes has been far bar better.

No idea if they've improved mechanicals since then but I'd personally be hesitant to buy anything other than hydraulic for disc brakes myself.

sounds like you mech disk is not properly setup, also most newer internal routing disk brake frame is designed for hydro, for my Niner, I have to route the rear brake cable outside the chainstay, the internal routing creates too much bending of the cable
Old 05-19-19, 05:59 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
It really doesn't take much to haul a bicycle to a controlled stop. I have built 2 disc brake bikes in the past year and I went with mechanical disc in both cases. TRP Spyres on one and Spykes on the other. The Spyres took a little breaking in and are still what I would describe a s soft, but perfectly adequate for my touring bike. I put the Spykes on an MTB. I have yet to really challenge them, but I can tell they will serve me well in the mountains.

Comparing the hydros on one MTB to the Spykes on another several things stand out. The hydros are easier to finesse with one or two fingers in technical stuff, and that is where I think hydros really stand out. They are also a bit easier to accidentally lock up in panic or emergency braking. I took a good spill last year on account of an accidental front end lock up. That never happened on the mech disc brakes I had on my previous MTB. My hydros also decided to act up last year in a way that I couldn't fix myself, so it had to go to the shop as I didn't have bleeding equipment. I can't see the same thing happening with mechs.

For the OPs intended use I don't see hydros offering any tangible performance advantage.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 05-19-19 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-19-19, 09:03 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
It really doesn't take much to haul a bicycle to a controlled stop. I have built 2 disc brake bikes in the past year and I went with mechanical disc in both cases. TRP Spyres on one and Spykes on the other. The Spyres took a little breaking in and are still what I would describe a s soft, but perfectly adequate for my touring bike. I put the Spykes on an MTB. I have yet to really challenge them, but I can tell they will serve me well in the mountains.

Comparing the hydros on one MTB to the Spykes on another several things stand out. The hydros are easier to finesse with one or two fingers in technical stuff, and that is where I think hydros really stand out. They are also a bit easier to accidentally lock up in panic or emergency braking. I took a good spill last year on account of an accident front end lock up. That never happened on the mech disc brakes I had on my previous MTB. My hydros also decided to act up last year in a way that I couldn't fix myself, so it had to go to the shop as I didn't have bleeding equipment. I can't see the same thing happening with mechs.

For the OPs intended use I don't see hydros offering any tangible performance advantage.
Completely agree. I doubt there will be any noticeable advantage especially if the brakes are installed with high quality compressionless housings. Compressionless housing is fantastic on any mechanical braking system but especially beneficial on mechanical discs with the long housing run. That done, I think it's going to be difficult to tell the difference.

J.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 05-19-19 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-19-19, 10:04 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Completely agree. I doubt there will be any noticeable advantage especially if the brakes are installed with high quality compassionless housings. Compassionless housing is fantastic on any mechanical braking system but especially beneficial on mechanical discs with the long housing run. That done, I think it's going to be difficult to tell the difference.

J.
I won't put something on my bike if it has no regard for my feelings.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-19-19, 12:01 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
I was watching the Amgen Tour of California on the stage when Alex Hoehn got the mountain jersey, and when the camera zoomed in to his Cannondale, I noticed he was using mechanical discs. I thought that was pretty interesting.
Old 05-19-19, 02:36 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Compassionless housing... funny autocorrect.
Old 05-19-19, 04:00 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Given me a whole new way of looking at bike parts. Hmmm.

Originally Posted by f4rrest
Compassionless housing... funny autocorrect.
no kidding. I fixed it. But I'm sure compressionless housing is, in fact, compassionless.

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
I was watching the Amgen Tour of California on the stage when Alex Hoehn got the mountain jersey, and when the camera zoomed in to his Cannondale, I noticed he was using mechanical discs. I thought that was pretty interesting.
And this is interesting for sure. Wonder which brakes?
Old 05-19-19, 05:02 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
^ They looked like the ones fietsbob mentioned earlier with the U shaped actuating arm.
Old 05-19-19, 05:29 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
^ They looked like the ones fietsbob mentioned earlier with the U shaped actuating arm.
Ah. TRP Spyres then.
Old 10-24-21, 01:05 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by John07
The Differences Between Mechanical and Hydraulic Disc Brakes: Hydraulic Disc Brakes have Hydraulic systems work with fluids. This type transfers force from the lever to the caliper, giving you a greater braking or gripping power level. Hydraulic systems work with fluids and transfer force from the lever to the caliper, giving you a greater braking or gripping power level. They offer maximum braking power that you can easily control. Compared to hydraulic disc brakes, mechanical disc brakes are quite basic. They are also known for being lightweight, which vouches for comfort and stability on your trip. In terms of budget, I recommend this brake type as they are way cheaper than others.
Is this another "bot" experiment?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-24-21, 07:27 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by dkyser
I am going to be purchasing a steel frame bike and leaning towards the All City Cosmic Stallion but not sure about post mount mechanical brakes.
I will use this mostly on road but will do some gravel.

I know flat mount hydraulic is the future but for the price, I like the frame ed coating and reputation of the All City.

Thanks
I built up a hardtail MTB in the mid 00’s, using BB7 mechanical discs. I thought they were a significant improvement over rim brakes in terms of power. I had QRs, which meant that if I dropped and reinstalled the front wheel, I might get slight disk rubbing, but adjustment with the two red adjustment wheels was very straightforward. The only other thing was that the return spring on the calipers wasn’t particularly strong, so you had to pay attention to your cables - keep them clean and free-moving so they didn’t hamper brake return. Hydro might have the edge re modulation, but I’d have no hesitation spec’ing a bike (especially a travel bike) with cable-op disks
Old 10-25-21, 08:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by John07
Compared to hydraulic disc brakes, mechanical disc brakes are quite basic. They are also known for being lightweight, which vouches for comfort and stability on your trip. In terms of budget...
Mechanical disc brakes are lightweight which is why they are comfortable and stable?
I cant say I ever looked at my disc brakes, mechanical or hydraulic, and considered one to be more comfortable than the other due to weight. And neither ever came to mind as being more stable due to weight than the other.
Old 10-25-21, 10:05 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Mechanical disc brakes are lightweight which is why they are comfortable and stable?
I cant say I ever looked at my disc brakes, mechanical or hydraulic, and considered one to be more comfortable than the other due to weight. And neither ever came to mind as being more stable due to weight than the other.
You are most likely engaging with a bot.
Old 10-25-21, 10:14 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I hear that's a market that's expected to grow quite a lot in the near future.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-25-21, 10:23 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
most likely, yes. figured i would respond in case its the most formal and quirky person of all time.
Old 10-25-21, 10:49 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Bots need friends too.
Likes For tomato coupe: