Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

No idea how to get my bike comfortable -- help!

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 07:24 PM
SeraphimF

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm riding a custom frankenbike made by a friend who then gave it to me. By the dropouts, it is a track frame (I guess old? It is steel and has track style dropouts. Repainted black so can't tell what model). It has a sturmey archer 3 speed hub, threadless bontrager stem and straight mtb style handlebars that are quite wide (20").

Other measurements: top tube is 20", seat tube is 17" (not sure how to measure this -- from bottom bracket to top tube is 17" but there is another inch or so that juts out the top). 7" from top tube to seat. The middle of the stem is 2" up on the steering tube and has a 1" raise when you factor the angle in, I didn't measure it but I'd guess its 2 inches long. My measurements are that I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam.

The bars are quite uncomfortable to ride on partially due to the style but the fit also seems wrong -- they feel too low for me. I wanted to upgrade the bike to have drops, but am not sure if the problem is that they are too low or too far forwards (or both). I like riding in a relaxed non-aggressive stance but want drops just for the aero position when I encounter headwinds. I'm mostly going to be riding for fun/transportation/exercise and like speed but not racing, its just fun to get going on flats sometimes. I also have a rack and usually take stuff with me, but probably nothing very heavy.

My current plan was to get the Velo Orange Cigne stem which has a significant rise, and some nitto randonneur bars. I also considered sticking with the same stem or getting the velo orange "happy" stem (45 degree raise) and putting either touring/butterfly bars or some kind of moustache style swept back bars on it. I think it would be comfortable with swept back bars but my preference is drops due to the versatility and comfort. Due to the track-ish frame features I'm inclined to think drops won't pose some kind of geometric risk like they might on a mountain bike.

I'm willing to spend up to $200 to get the bike into perfect shape if possible around this frame. I like the 3 speed hub and the bike otherwise functions great for what I do with it. I'm willing to buy a new bike but don't really want to -- don't think I could get anything ideal for me for $200 and also don't think I'd have an easy time selling this one.

Any insights on how the fit would work with either choice? Its hard for me to imagine. Any general suggestions or tips are very welcome.

Last edited by SeraphimF; 05-01-18 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-01-18, 07:33 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
how much higher do you need the bars?
Old 05-01-18, 08:20 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Gotta have photos, you on the bike, from the side:
Pedals level, elbows well bent
Pedals up and down, aligned with the seat tube
Old 05-01-18, 10:32 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
First off adjust the seat height. you should be able to touch your toes to the ground comfortably but not your whole foot. Getting numbness makes me think that you are having to fall forward onto the handlebars. Try to adjust your seat forwards a bit to see if that helps you out. Maybe try that first and then see how it feels and report back.

You should be able to get aerodynamic on the flat bars if you lean forward, too.

Your height and inseam would probably help a bit here.
Old 05-02-18, 06:39 AM
SeraphimF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
how much higher do you need the bars?

It feels to me like it would be more comfortable with them a few inches higher, but also that it may be the angle. Straight bars would need to be way higher than swept back is how it feels.
Old 05-02-18, 06:41 AM
SeraphimF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Gotta have photos, you on the bike, from the side:
Pedals level, elbows well bent
Pedals up and down, aligned with the seat tube
I'm not going to be able to get photos, but I'll say that when I ride I'm unable to get my elbows bent significantly and that this puts a lot of stress on my hands. But as I said I'm not sure if it is due to the handlebar angle (the fact they are straight bars) or just the height.
Old 05-02-18, 08:23 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by SeraphimF
I'm not going to be able to get photos, but I'll say that when I ride I'm unable to get my elbows bent significantly and that this puts a lot of stress on my hands. But as I said I'm not sure if it is due to the handlebar angle (the fact they are straight bars) or just the height.
Sorry, no photos, can't help. Not going to guess in the dark.
Old 05-02-18, 12:31 PM
SeraphimF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, no photos, can't help. Not going to guess in the dark.
Guessing its not of much help but here's a photo of my bike. Sorry for the image quality. If it allows for help of any kind, I'd appreciate it even if its just a suggestion about how to proceed on my end.

Old 05-02-18, 03:37 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

[QUOTE=SeraphimF;20318941]Guessing its not of much help but here's a photo of my bike. Sorry for the image quality. If it allows for help of any kind, I'd appreciate it even if its just a suggestion about how to proceed on my end./QUOTE]OK, cool. The bike itself seems fine. Which doesn't mean it fits you, just that it looks normal. Judging by the amount of seat post extension on a 700c track bike frame, you are not a short person, maybe 5'9, or else maybe you have long legs for your height? Judging by how close together the down tube and top tube are where they are welded to the head tube, this might be a 52 cm frame, which would be too small if anything or might be just right, considering that longish stem.

So do these indoor tests while leaning against a wall: Sit on the bike which hands on the bars and bend your elbows a good bit. Look to see if your bars obscure the front wheel's hub or does the hub appear to be in front or behind the bars?

Then, keeping your back as straight as possible, lean all the way forward and see where the tip of your nose comes in relation to the bar. Touch, in front, behind?

Next, sit on the bike while wearing your usual cycling shoes and put one heel on a pedal. Rotate the pedals backwards until the pedal with the heel on it is at the bottom of the stroke. Does your heel still touch the pedal? If so, is there a bend in your knee or is your knee completely straight?

Outdoors, while riding along a level street, hands on the bars and leaning forward with your elbows bent a little, and with your torso braced with your back, briefly take both hands off the bars. Do you immediately slide forward on the saddle or can you stay like that for several seconds no problem?

Report results.
Old 05-02-18, 03:39 PM
McBTC

It's got the Ahead stem system and probably an aluminum steerer tube on the fork-- getting some additional rise using a stem riser (extender) is a possibility...

Also, looks like a very long stem on there-- a shorter stem with some rise will help bring up the bars up as well.
Old 05-02-18, 03:44 PM
McBTC

Can you get a better picture with more light on the cranks-- I'd be interested to see what size they are. If it's a track bike they could be 165s. That'd be cool to work with but the seat will be a bit higher than if it had normal-sized (172-175) cranks.
Old 05-02-18, 04:00 PM
SeraphimF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Carbonfiberboy;20319321]
Guessing its not of much help but here's a photo of my bike. Sorry for the image quality. If it allows for help of any kind, I'd appreciate it even if its just a suggestion about how to proceed on my end./QUOTE]OK, cool. The bike itself seems fine. Which doesn't mean it fits you, just that it looks normal. Judging by the amount of seat post extension on a 700c track bike frame, you are not a short person, maybe 5'9, or else maybe you have long legs for your height? Judging by how close together the down tube and top tube are where they are welded to the head tube, this might be a 52 cm frame, which would be too small if anything or might be just right, considering that longish stem.

So do these indoor tests while leaning against a wall: Sit on the bike which hands on the bars and bend your elbows a good bit. Look to see if your bars obscure the front wheel's hub or does the hub appear to be in front or behind the bars?

Then, keeping your back as straight as possible, lean all the way forward and see where the tip of your nose comes in relation to the bar. Touch, in front, behind?

Next, sit on the bike while wearing your usual cycling shoes and put one heel on a pedal. Rotate the pedals backwards until the pedal with the heel on it is at the bottom of the stroke. Does your heel still touch the pedal? If so, is there a bend in your knee or is your knee completely straight?

Outdoors, while riding along a level street, hands on the bars and leaning forward with your elbows bent a little, and with your torso braced with your back, briefly take both hands off the bars. Do you immediately slide forward on the saddle or can you stay like that for several seconds no problem?

Report results.
First of all, I'm 5'7", might have slightly long legs but I think I'm pretty proportional.

The hub appears to be in front of the bars. When I lean down, my nose is in front of the bars by a little bit. When I do the pedalling thing, my leg is basically completely straight.

I don't slide forward in the saddle when I take my hands off the bars, I can stay that way for a little bit, not several seconds but I've never been able to do that on any bike. Basically, I stay stable.

I moved the seat up a few cm today which did help, I'm inclined to think its due to the bar type and maybe height more than how far forward it is, for a few reasons. One is that I noticed that riding on the bar ends feels totally comfortable, they are at a slight angle so a bit higher but come forward significantly.

I ended up getting some nitto randonneur bars on ebay today because I found them in my clamp size and they were significantly cheaper than elsewhere online and only one was left. The above intuitive ideas make me think the fit should be okay, but we'll see! Even if not, a good buy I hope to use at some point.
Old 05-02-18, 04:24 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

[QUOTE=SeraphimF;20319363]

First of all, I'm 5'7", might have slightly long legs but I think I'm pretty proportional.

The hub appears to be in front of the bars. When I lean down, my nose is in front of the bars by a little bit. When I do the pedalling thing, my leg is basically completely straight.

I don't slide forward in the saddle when I take my hands off the bars, I can stay that way for a little bit, not several seconds but I've never been able to do that on any bike. Basically, I stay stable.

I moved the seat up a few cm today which did help, I'm inclined to think its due to the bar type and maybe height more than how far forward it is, for a few reasons. One is that I noticed that riding on the bar ends feels totally comfortable, they are at a slight angle so a bit higher but come forward significantly.

I ended up getting some nitto randonneur bars on ebay today because I found them in my clamp size and they were significantly cheaper than elsewhere online and only one was left. The above intuitive ideas make me think the fit should be okay, but we'll see! Even if not, a good buy I hope to use at some point.
I agree and think that basically, the thing fits. As far as the bars feeling low, I think your reach is actually too short, maybe by a couple cm. Normal road position takes some getting used to, but it's worth it. Do some stretches and planks, stuff like that.
Old 05-02-18, 04:43 PM
SeraphimF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Carbonfiberboy;20319400]
I agree and think that basically, the thing fits. As far as the bars feeling low, I think your reach is actually too short, maybe by a couple cm. Normal road position takes some getting used to, but it's worth it. Do some stretches and planks, stuff like that.
Sweet, well glad I'm in a good spot to go forward. I will be putting on the new bars on my current stem and keep a longer stem in the back of my mind. I really think its just straight bars in this posture are...weird. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-03-18, 09:50 AM
SeraphimF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
Can you get a better picture with more light on the cranks-- I'd be interested to see what size they are. If it's a track bike they could be 165s. That'd be cool to work with but the seat will be a bit higher than if it had normal-sized (172-175) cranks.

I'll check the cranks out later when I get home -- they seem to be standard with respect to other (non track) bikes I'm used to riding. My friend built this bike up from scratch and I don't think he would have used track components aside from the frame -- which is what makes it so vexing!
Old 05-03-18, 01:19 PM
IK_biker
old fart

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Angry

Originally Posted by Oneder
...you should be able to touch your toes to the ground comfortably but not your whole foot.
A very sage advice.
One that should be immediately discarded as dumb, misinformed, and outright wrong!

Whether or not one's toes touch the ground entirely depends on the bottom bracket height, which varies considerably between types of bikes, on crank length, and on the particular wheel sizes used on any bike.
Old 05-03-18, 08:46 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by IK_biker
A very sage advice.
One that should be immediately discarded as dumb, misinformed, and outright wrong!

Whether or not one's toes touch the ground entirely depends on the bottom bracket height, which varies considerably between types of bikes, on crank length, and on the particular wheel sizes used on any bike.
Ok. Unless you're on a unicycle, folding bike, bmx or other sort of bike that's nothing to do with this one.
Old 05-05-18, 12:23 PM
tonyantoniou

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need to send photos
Old 05-06-18, 03:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Asked about higher stems , not bought any yet?