Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Panasonic Dyna Hub?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-20, 06:34 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Panasonic Dyna Hub?

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the above hub? Looking to install a Dyno hub on one of my wife's bikes. We currently have SP hubs on different bikes but thought I would check out another.
Thanks!
Old 06-14-20, 10:30 AM
polyphrast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
i quote from this article (from 2012) in Fahrradzukunft:
Originally Posted by Fahrradzukunft
Sanyo was known for reliable drum/roller dynamos in the 70's and 80's and has stayed behind the scenes in the hub dyno market, producing hubs named SRAM i-light and Dahon Joule. Recently, they started selling under their own name a hub called H27
As Panasonic took over Sanyo, besides now offering eneeloop NiMH batteries, Panasonic offers dyna hubs as well. What Sanyo did (and maybe Panasonic still does) is similar to SP (whose hubs were sold under different brand names (e.g., Biologic, Supernova) with usually only slight changes on e.g. improved sealings)
Hope this helps
Old 06-14-20, 10:46 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
So I assume the OP is asking about the same hub as the Sanyo H27? When I bought one, they were only a little more than 1/3 the cost of any other hub. The hub is solid but has a little more drag than other hubs.
Old 06-14-20, 12:52 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 1,132 Posts
I thought that Peter White had listed Sanyo dynohubs on his website, I did a quick check and this page lists a link for them, but that link is broken:
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fronthubs.php

Thus, sounds like he dropped them. I do not think I have ever seen one.
Old 06-14-20, 01:18 PM
polyphrast

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I thought that Peter White had listed Sanyo dynohubs on his website, I did a quick check and this page lists a link for them, but that link is broken:
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fronthubs.php

Thus, sounds like he dropped them. I do not think I have ever seen one.
You can find Panasonic dynahubs on peter white's website: https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/panahub.php. He even states the same as i stated above, that panasonic bought sanyo and he has some products with "sanyo" branding left.
Old 06-19-20, 01:39 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I've had a couple of these hubs, and I still have one. A few years ago, there was a comparison among the Sanyo H27, a certain Shimano, and some higher end hub. The Sanyo had the most drag but was, as you said, a lot less expensive. I don't notice the drag. I do notice a vibration at 20 mph and above. I'm sure the drag is there, but it doesn't feel like a brake is engaged. The biggest criticism this hub gets is that if a bearing wears out, you can't replace it, so you have to either rebuild the wheel with a new hub or buy a new wheel. But hey, it might not wear out before I'm done with it, so I take my chances. In other words, this could be one of the best values in dynamo hubs.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-19-20, 06:34 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I appreciate all the replies!
Settled on a SP.
Old 06-20-20, 06:26 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
I appreciate all the replies!
Settled on a SP.
Considering that you previously had a SP failure, I was curious what you would pick. Thanks for telling us what you decided on.
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...-dyno-hub.html
Old 06-21-20, 09:31 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
I have about 8,000 miles on a SP dynohub on my folding commuter bike with no problems (so far!). With 20" wheels, there are more RPMs. I only got about 2,000 miles out of a first-generation "Joule" hub (made by Sanyo) on my previous folder (a Dahon Mu XL). This hub turned out to be serviceable with some difficulty (see THIS for the details). I recently built a SP into a regular wheel for my road bike.

Nice project while laid up with a broken ankle!

Got it on sale... maybe because it's red? ;-)
Old 04-01-21, 07:00 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
I just ordered a couple of the Panasonic/Sanyo Dyna-hubs from the Soma fab shop. 21.42 each, 15.00 shipping for a less than $30 each dynamo hub. My plan is to build a wheel each for my 700c hybrid commuter and my 26” mountain bike turned commuter. Casual commuting, I’m not a year round no matter what every day kind of commuter. I’ve no experience with Dynohubs hubs so I thought this could be a good way to dip my toes in without spending a ton of cash. I’ll post updates as they come....
Old 04-01-21, 07:22 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
I just ordered a couple of the Panasonic/Sanyo Dyna-hubs from the Soma fab shop. 21.42 each, 15.00 shipping for a less than $30 each dynamo hub. My plan is to build a wheel each for my 700c hybrid commuter and my 26” mountain bike turned commuter. Casual commuting, I’m not a year round no matter what every day kind of commuter. I’ve no experience with Dynohubs hubs so I thought this could be a good way to dip my toes in without spending a ton of cash. I’ll post updates as they come....
I have one that is laced onto a wheel from a ride share take off and it seems fine.

so I did like you and bought a couple from soma, just got the first wheel built up in 650B.
Old 04-01-21, 12:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I think saving money on a dynamo hub is fine. Then again, one day, I might try a fancy one and decide I wasted my time with the cheap ones, but ...

Spend as much as you can on the headlight. This is where it makes a difference.

Taillights don't make much difference, because frankly, they're all kind of crappy because of German regulations. German regulations have an influence on the whole dynamo bike light industry, and there is a low maximum light. Another factor is that the dynamo doesn't make much power so it's only fair. I think battery powered tail lights are better because they're brighter and they blink. On my bikes that have dynamos, I use a dynamo powered taillight (because why not) and a battery powered blinking taillight. Having two can't hurt, and if you argue that blinking makes it hard to judge distance, I'm fine, because I have a steady taillight as well.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 04-01-21, 03:48 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Only if you choose to limit yourself to StVZO-legal taillights... Pretty sure there are powerful ebike rear lights these days that might not be strictly Germany-legal but can be found in other places - and various converters with different output voltages (mine does 5V and 12V, others vary). (Apologies to the one person on this thread who is in Germany...) But yeah, as for me I use a battery rear flasher and a dyno-charged cache battery
Old 04-02-21, 12:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Thanks for that, @fourfa. I'll keep that in mind.

Old 04-02-21, 12:36 PM
fourfa

Actually now I'm not so sure what I wrote is correct. Most of the hard rules I find easily searching on StVZO are about front white light beam shape (which is a good thing to regulate TBH). Some articles mention flashing lights (front and/or rear) allowed during daylight but not permitted at night, but it's hard to tell what's really up to date. Not going to try searching the actual StVZO code (which covers the entire transport industry). I haven't yet found a specific upper limit to taillight brightness as a rule - just flashing. (I love my daylight-visible flashers but I always switch to constant-on as dusk approaches.) Getting way off-topic here though, sorry.
Old 04-02-21, 08:32 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I don't spend much on my commuters, that's why I have a couple sanyos and a really cheap Shimano. I have ridden one of the Sanyos quite a bit, I don't really notice the drag with it either.
Old 04-02-21, 08:42 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
I had a Sanyo on my commuter for years, leaving the light on always. Flawless, all weather year-round.

Drag is high, the data says. I wouldn't use it on a 1200k because I don't want to give away that much time, but commuting? Runs like a champ.
Old 04-04-21, 09:53 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
I’ve no experience with Dynohubs hubs....
If it's not a Sturmey-Archer, it's not a Dynohub™️!

Likes For tcs:
Old 04-06-21, 08:10 AM
Smokinapankake

Correct you are! I’ve no experience with a dynamo hub.... My plan also is to just use a couple battery powered blinkies on the rear; one set to steady on, one set to flash mode. So with no experience whatsoever, can anyone recommend a light head unit? My route takes me through suburban neighborhoods into rural neighborhoods into unlit roads surrounded by fields of salt grass. The only ambient light comes from the moon and stars... 17.5 miles one way, mostly flat, and between 3-4 AM so not much traffic to worry about.
Old 04-06-21, 08:30 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@Smokinapankake, check out this page from a French web site. I've bought Busch & Müller lights there. It's a big selection. Take a little time to learn the differences. I haven't tried AXA lights but I can say that B&M lights are well made and work well.

Dynamo lights are rated in Lux rather than Lumens, and there is no way to convert between the units. Lux is amount of light received at the object, and lumens is the amount of light leaving the source. I've found 50 Lux to be adequate but some don't agree. All B&M lights comply with the German laws which require (among other things) that the beam be shaped a certain way. This makes efficient use of the power and ensures that light goes where you need it and not where you don't need it. It keeps the beam out of people's eyes (if you aim it right), and it also puts more light at the far end than at the near end. They accomplish this with clever lens and reflector design.

I like your plan to use a blinking taillight and a steady taillight. I do the same!

Old 04-06-21, 08:39 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Correct you are! I’ve no experience with a dynamo hub.... My plan also is to just use a couple battery powered blinkies on the rear; one set to steady on, one set to flash mode. So with no experience whatsoever, can anyone recommend a light head unit? My route takes me through suburban neighborhoods into rural neighborhoods into unlit roads surrounded by fields of salt grass. The only ambient light comes from the moon and stars... 17.5 miles one way, mostly flat, and between 3-4 AM so not much traffic to worry about.
I think this is going to come down to how much you want to spend good battery lights cost good money which is another reason to use a dynamo..

My "main" bike has a Deore XT (3n80) dynamo hub I paid $80ish for it $80ish to get it laced up B&M IQ XS $65 and B&M top light $18 so I've got a bit more in it than a high end battery light but less stress. Yesterday I ordered a Velogical rim dynamo $180 for my commuter and the same light setup so it's a bit more costly but it's transferable and I can keep my wheels.
Old 04-06-21, 09:05 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Can some German speaker translate "forumslader"? I guess it's not surprising that google fails so badly.
Old 04-06-21, 09:32 AM
Tourist in MSN

I am guessing that is a hour and a half ride, and you ride it frequently. Thus, you need a good light. I am pretty happy with the B&M IQ-XS. If you buy it in USA, probably over $100 USD.

If you order if from Bike24 in Germany, priced in Euros, expensive shipping fee, but still much cheaper total cost. I have bought several lights and other bike parts from them. I bought two IQ-XS lights from them.
https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dyna...di-silber.html

I am not familiar with your bike, so making a generic comment here, a lot of B&M lights are poorly sealed against water intrusion on the bottom. Thus, if you mounted it where there was tire spray, that could cause water to get inside and ruin it. Do you have fenders?

B&M makes LOTS of dyno powered lights, so you likely will get many different suggestions.
Old 04-06-21, 10:48 AM
fourfa

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Can some German speaker translate "forumslader"? I guess it's not surprising that google fails so badly.
'Laden' is literally 'to load' but also 'to charge a battery.' So 'lader' is a 'charger.' The project started on a German bike forum like this one (rad-forum.de? Can't find a link on the site any more; there used to be a link). Thus, Forumslader.

Looks like they've updated from my V5 to a V6 (can't easily spot the difference though) and are offering a Pro version with a 3D-printed housing, no self-assembly or soldering, proper battery compartment. I spent a lot of time and hassle building my own enclosure, I'd recommend go straight for the Pro.

EDIT: details on V6. https://www.forumslader.de/forumslade...elektronik-v6/
Then use your browser to translate to English. Looks like the optional bluetooth and high-current upgrades are now standard, new processor with more memory and less power consumption, new depletion protection on the 12V output, firmware can be updated over BT, better wheel speed resolution, more switching stages, more power output at low speed.

Last edited by unterhausen; 04-06-21 at 06:56 PM. Reason: fixed the link
Likes For fourfa:
Old 04-06-21, 01:49 PM
Smokinapankake

So the hubs just came in, and as a bare hub it looks to be a decent piece of kit. I bought both a 32 hole and a 36 hole version because they were so cheap. Here are some pics :

Panasonic BEP-NRH002BE

~~~K 1348 Rotation direction

6V 3W, 400-716mm I assume this means rim diameter?

Ground or earth is the right terminal

But tightening torque 20Nm ~25 Nm

Instruction “manual” pg. 1

Instruction “manual” pg. 2

Just need to get it laced up into a rim and settle on a light unit.

Yes, my commute is about 1:10, don’t do it often but would like to increase my commuting this year. COVID made me fat and lazy (well, fatter and lazier), and I really wanted to try out a dynamo hub anyway..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.