Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help 2 bikes Options

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Help 2 bikes Options

Old 10-25-21, 08:10 AM
Whisenhunt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help 2 bikes Options

Hello all,

I am getting into the world of triathlons and bought a bike off market place and then had a friend give me his old bike.

I bought a 2016 diamondback airen
was given a 1999 Giant CFR Team

my question is since my diamondback is my correct size and fits me well can or should I take components off the CFR and add them to the Airen ? The Airen has the shimano sora nd the CFR has the 105 i believe.
not sure if it is worth the effort or not but would love to hear what you guys think!
Old 10-25-21, 08:25 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
!

Originally Posted by Whisenhunt
Hello all,

I am getting into the world of triathlons and bought a bike off market place and then had a friend give me his old bike.

I bought a 2016 diamondback airen
was given a 1999 Giant CFR Team

my question is since my diamondback is my correct size and fits me well can or should I take components off the CFR and add them to the Airen ? The Airen has the shimano sora nd the CFR has the 105 i believe.
not sure if it is worth the effort or not but would love to hear what you guys think!
I would leave the components as installed and ride the bikes a bunch of times as they will be ridden…it might not take a bunch of rides to get pointed in the right direction…
Wait…are saying that the CFR doesn’t fit?
There’s also 17 years between those components…there’s been a lot of improvements on the lower tier components…
Fun dilemma…
Old 10-25-21, 08:56 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 413 Posts
This is a good topic for the Triathlon forum. Moderators should move it there. But, my initial comment/concern about you getting into triathlon isn’t about the bike, but rather other aspects of the sport. How’s your swimming? So many times over the decades I’ve encountered athletes who want to get into triathlon only to discover that swimming is much more difficult for them than they had expected…and ultimately give up triathlon in rather short order. A weekend local race usually isn’t an like what you might see on TV in the Olympics, or other world-class races. They’re crowded (especially the swim), expensive, and not as exclusive as you might think.

With regard to the bike(s)…I agree with ‘billnuke’ above. For now…just ride the bikes as there are. After just a race or two you might find that you don’t really care for triathlon and all that work would be for nothing. Another thing to consider is the distance of the races you think you’ll be doing. Are you mainly going to do sprints, Olys, or 70.3/140.6? These are good bikes to use to gauge your interest in the sport. Down the road…if you decide you’re in it for long term…then you can shop for a more suitable race bike (and these can be used for training rides).

Dan
Old 10-25-21, 09:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
The biggest difference will be gearing. The Giant will have traditional crank and cassette sizes while the Diamondback will have modern compact crank and cassette sizes.
If the Giant's gearing works for you, then consider the condition of the components. 22 year old components can be nearly brand new and work perfectly, or they can be worn down and in need of replacement. It would make no sense to put old and worn components on the Diamondback.

What are you hoping to gain by moving everything over?
Old 10-25-21, 09:22 AM
Whisenhunt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1
I would leave the components as installed and ride the bikes a bunch of times as they will be ridden…it might not take a bunch of rides to get pointed in the right direction…
Wait…are saying that the CFR doesn’t fit?
There’s also 17 years between those components…there’s been a lot of improvements on the lower tier components…
Fun dilemma…

Yeah the CFR is an XL like 63 so its pretty big for me. That was going to be another one of my questions is the age gap and has there been a bunch of improvements or have the 105 and higher gears stayed pretty consistent
Old 10-25-21, 09:25 AM
Whisenhunt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looking at Olympics and half irons but swimming will be my best out of the three!
Old 10-25-21, 09:28 AM
Whisenhunt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The biggest difference will be gearing. The Giant will have traditional crank and cassette sizes while the Diamondback will have modern compact crank and cassette sizes.
If the Giant's gearing works for you, then consider the condition of the components. 22 year old components can be nearly brand new and work perfectly, or they can be worn down and in need of replacement. It would make no sense to put old and worn components on the Diamondback.

What are you hoping to gain by moving everything over?

That makes total sense i think i was just excited getting the other bike and from the reading it says in theory that the 105 is nicer then the sora and didnt know how much improvement 20+ years has made
Old 10-25-21, 10:44 AM
billnuke1 

Well, as in life, it all starts with a ride…
Old 10-25-21, 12:18 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1
well, as in life, it all starts with a swim
fify.
Old 10-25-21, 07:20 PM
billnuke1 

I meant with the choice of bikes…or did I…
Old 10-25-21, 08:27 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Sell the Diamondback, strip the parts off the Giant, use the money from the DB to buy a used Tri frame.
There's a bunch on Ebay, but this Kestrel Talon looks pretty nice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27312586153...89c:g:UBgAAOSw
Old 10-26-21, 01:19 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If everything works on both bikes, leave 'em as-is and invest in good aero bars and saddle. That'll make the most difference. Aero bars on pretty much any bike is good for free speed. But it's not really free -- it costs comfort and the ability to hold that aero tuck.