Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Detraining dilemma

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Detraining dilemma

Old 03-28-22, 09:02 AM
RJMang

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Detraining dilemma

I have a somewhat intense 7-day event this May: 375+ miles with 35,000+ feet of climbing. I’m 68, ride over 5,000 miles per year with more than 400,000 feet of annual gain (I’ve been at this level for several decades). So, this upcoming event would not normally be a concern. But it's is in Europe, and I’ll be completely off the bike for 12 days traveling around before the event. 12 days of zero riding, which has me a bit concerned about my level of “detraining”, which seems to happen more quickly after 60 years old.

Any ideas on how I can keep my training level up with 12 days off the bike?

Robert
Old 03-28-22, 11:51 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
12 days isn't long enough to really be concerned about it IMO. If it bothers you that much, ramp a little volume into the last three days before leaving.

The way CTL works, you could in theory get to maybe -15 or so the day before you leave, then you won't be to +15 for days and days. Which is usually great form to perform.

So, nothingburger IMO.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 03-28-22, 05:43 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Are you able to hire a bike at any time while you're over there travelling around? Even if it's just a regular tourist rental hybrid bike.

Go out and hammer it around a park for an hour or so, or simply keep the legs spinning.
Old 03-29-22, 06:45 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by RJMang
I have a somewhat intense 7-day event this May: 375+ miles with 35,000+ feet of climbing. I’m 68, ride over 5,000 miles per year with more than 400,000 feet of annual gain (I’ve been at this level for several decades). So, this upcoming event would not normally be a concern. But it's is in Europe, and I’ll be completely off the bike for 12 days traveling around before the event. 12 days of zero riding, which has me a bit concerned about my level of “detraining”, which seems to happen more quickly after 60 years old.

Any ideas on how I can keep my training level up with 12 days off the bike?

Robert
Yes, detraining is much quicker as we age.

Plasma volume starts to decrease after 2 days (days). Combatting hematological changes is your best bet. Worst case you do nothing and lose maybe 2-5% of aerobic capacity. If you can do anything aerobically at an intense level for a short period, it will help. Up and down the hotel emergency exit stairs for 20 minutes hard several times over the 12 days might be enough. If the hotel has a hot air sauna, use it to help maintain plasma level. Otherwise, don't worry. You will notice a drop in performance but it won't be earth shattering.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-29-22, 08:30 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
I agree that older people lose fitness faster. I think others have already posted some good advice. All that I'd add is that 12 days of tourism in Europe will also involve many temptations of food and drink. Be careful - that can make a difference.
Old 03-29-22, 10:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,937 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
12 days isn't long enough to really be concerned about it IMO. If it bothers you that much, ramp a little volume into the last three days before leaving.

The way CTL works, you could in theory get to maybe -15 or so the day before you leave, then you won't be to +15 for days and days. Which is usually great form to perform.

So, nothingburger IMO.
I think you mean TSB. I'm interested in this because we're about to take 5 days off at our cabin. My TSB will be -11 the day before we leave, and would be +19 if we didn't do anything athletic out there. However we'll run for about 30' or so on 3 of those days, which should give me a +12 TSB instead. That's just 5 days! So if you can run most days during your trip, that'll help some. It's not the same as riding, but it really helps. Get up early, have a run, eat breakfast. At 76, my rule is 3 days off in a row, max. Every day over that will take me 3 days to gat back that loss. One month off, three months to get it back.

In my 5-day case, I'd lose 7 points of CTL in those days. My usual practice is to try to increase my CTL by 3 points/week which is sustainable for me. So that would be 2 weeks to get back to where I was. Running out there 3 out of 5 days, I'll only lose 5 points, so a week and a half to get it back, plus cross-training is extra benefit. I might also do some one-legged knee bends on a chair, recommended. It's one of those things were life interferes with training. Oh well.
Old 04-04-22, 08:49 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
If it were me I would be doing whatever I could to maintain general fitness over those 12 days. I don't know your accommodations but hotel or maybe local gym workouts on a stationary bike would be hugely helpful. If that doesn't work then probably running (or maybe stairs) is the next best alternative. And I would be sure that you are physically prepared for whatever alternative you come up with. Cycling is pretty muscle specific and a couple of hard stair workouts that you are not used to doing could be really counter-productive (and worse than nothing).

Good luck - sounds like fun.

dave

ps, I would be focused on the first 7 of those 12 days. Complete rest the last 5 or so days is not something that would concern me.