Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

E bikes

Old 07-05-22, 09:15 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Similar to fooferdoggie, I used to commute by pedal bike 35 miles round trip up and down hills a couple of times per week. I purchased an E-bike a few weeks ago, and have been doing to commute 4-5X times per week.

As for range, someone said "30 miles." There may be E-bikes that will only go 30 miles... mine will go 80+.

As for the question in the OP asked, "...are they getting a good workout?:" I pedal hard on the E-bike, and pedal more than on a regular bike because I use "pedal assist," and it doesn't assist unless I am pedaling. So... in my case riding the E-Bike is a good workout They can be a good workout, or they can be little to no workout. Choice is up to the rider.

I would also add that I am more sore, but less winded on the E-bike because I pedal more and harder on the flats and moderate up-hills, but throttle up the big hills.

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
exactly thats why I can ride 230 miles a week I ride every day. I could not do that on a regular bike. 18 miles commuting then hop on the e tandem and do another 10 to 15 miles on weekdays and 30+ miles each day on the weekends. since my bike shows how many watts I put out it helps to see how much I am actually doing. it just makes it more fun and I ride far more then when I was younger and felt better. with the e tandem we can get out father then we could without since we dont have a car it makes a big difference. going grocery shopping does not slow me down like it used to so I can do more of it on the bike.
lathe weight sucks 56 pounds for my commuter and 65 for the tandem.
Old 07-05-22, 09:28 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2641 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Had a good race with an ebike last week on the commute home, he was obviously pushing it hard. Ebike haters need to get a grip, theyre just sore losers. Just draft the ebikes
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 07-05-22, 10:18 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Had a good race with an ebike last week on the commute home, he was obviously pushing it hard. Ebike haters need to get a grip, they're just sore losers. Just draft the ebikes
I was testing what I could do on this empty bike path and was doing about 27 and putting out 200 or so watts and this guy was drafting me I got a kick out of it. I have also been passed by guys going 28mph on road bikes. but Now hills are not a something I fear its still work but its possible now. this Hill is around 22degrees and a real bear even on my e bile. my first bike with a bosch motor I could just make it up putting out 450 watts and could only sin at 30rpms. but the new bosch motor I did it doing 540 watts and could get it upto 60 rpms. though it really killed me and got my heart rate to 165. the whole climb to it is 14 to 16" % grades 900 feet of climbing in 2 miles or so.
there is some physiology at work here too if I am not feeling as energetic as usual and I go from the second to the 3rd assist level yes I go faster but I can usually put out more watts too. it just seems easier.

Old 07-05-22, 10:31 AM
fooferdoggie 

duplicate
Old 07-05-22, 10:55 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
I did a 65 mile ride on a rail trail this weekend. 80%+ of the riders I went by were on e-bikes. Most were young enough that they could pedal. Not sure why they need an e-bike. Probably didn't want to deal with the physical exertion of having pedal so this was their way of getting "out there" Couple things I noticed...They were flying by us all day long...This is also the busiest I've ever seen this trail. Not sure I'm a fan of the e-bike boom.
Likes For prj71:
Old 07-05-22, 10:58 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
My wife’s Trek e-assist weighs 40 pounds PLUS a 5 pound battery. But, she greatly enjoys riding it. (It has no throttle) Prior to getting it mid-2019, most of our together riding was on tandem - lots of annual miles. Since getting it, vast majority of our together riding she’s been on the e-assist. When we do ride tandem, her power input feels just as strong, if not stronger, than before the e-assist.
When we ride our single bikes, she’s generally ahead of me on hills.
Old 07-05-22, 11:02 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Depends on their typical level of activity. For the sedentary, an e-bike may well give them the best workout they've ever had.
A conditioned cyclist won't exert nearly as much on an e-bike as they would on an analog bike over the same distance.
Also, keep in mind that achieving a good workout isn't always the goal.
This.

I think many of us evaluate ebikes from our own perspective, which is that bikes are for fitness, racing, etc. But some ebikes are for commuters who don't want to arrive at work all sweaty and exhausted, some are for people who routinely haul groceries and kids with their bikes, etc.

I am baffled by seemingly healthy young(er) people riding road bikes that clearly have e-assist, but there are plenty of other types of and uses for ebikes.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-05-22, 11:05 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by jdogg111
I'm seeing a ton of e bikes on our local greenways lately, and it not just old geezers like me . Lots of folks that look to b in their 40s and even 30s. At a rest stop recently, I asked an older gent if I could lift his bike, I just wanted a sense of the weight. Goodness it had to be at least 40 lbs or more. Seems like a light 20 lb bike would be as easy to ride as that bad boy is, but what do I know, they pass me like I'm standing still. My question is , are they getting a good workout?
BF already went thru this piss and moan. I'm not giving you a hard time, just an FYI.

Basically the easiest answer is "it depends". Yes they could. Perhaps they aren't. Only they know for sure.

Part of it also is assuming a person's intention of use. You can't presume they use one for exercise. Maybe it's a car avoidance thing, not using a car to/from your favorite park or local eating place or something.

My only last hangup these days is folks clearly using them as a "liquor cycle" pronounced liquor-sickle to either get by after a DUI or because they're actively drinking and riding the e-bike OR their weird one-wheel between each bar on the route. Which is a wholly unacceptable use of municipal trails.
Old 07-05-22, 11:18 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
BF already went thru this piss and moan. I'm not giving you a hard time, just an FYI.

Basically the easiest answer is "it depends". Yes they could. Perhaps they aren't. Only they know for sure.

Part of it also is assuming a person's intention of use. You can't presume they use one for exercise. Maybe it's a car avoidance thing, not using a car to/from your favorite park or local eating place or something.

My only last hangup these days is folks clearly using them as a "liquor cycle" pronounced liquor-sickle to either get by after a DUI or because they're actively drinking and riding the e-bike OR their weird one-wheel between each bar on the route. Which is a wholly unacceptable use of municipal trails.
As long as they aren't riding dangerously it shouldn't be an issue. Some of your "liquor cyclists" ride way more than your average roadie. last year I was chatting with this alcoholic who was homeless adjacent, and he told me about a bike he had with a 9 tooth cog and helped me with my bike fit (told me to lower the seat because my knee was messed up.) As far as cyclists are concerned people on bikes are better than people in cars, and ebikes are like 75+% of the workout of a normal bike.

Honestly bikes are super efficient on flats and downright overpowered on downhills, we shouldn't talk trash on ebikes because we are cheating too. Jogging everywhere is the real move if youre trying to be fit
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 07-05-22, 11:20 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep

LOL I am picturing George Jones, steadfastly piloting his riding mower towards the liquor store....
Old 07-05-22, 11:24 AM
LarrySellerz

[QUOTE=fooferdoggie;22564251then hop on the e tandem [/QUOTE]
Thats super cool, havent seen an etandem in the wild before66
Old 07-05-22, 05:25 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by prj71
I did a 65 mile ride on a rail trail this weekend. 80%+ of the riders I went by were on e-bikes. Most were young enough that they could pedal. Not sure why they need an e-bike. Probably didn't want to deal with the physical exertion of having pedal so this was their way of getting "out there" Couple things I noticed...They were flying by us all day long...This is also the busiest I've ever seen this trail. Not sure I'm a fan of the e-bike boom.
they will get bored after a bit I bet.
Old 07-05-22, 05:27 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Thats super cool, havent seen an etandem in the wild before66
ya only a few brands make them all the big tandem brands its more of a add on. on the tandem the motor I find is more for hill climb or when we are pulling a trailer. we have done 18% grades for short distances.
Old 07-05-22, 05:42 PM
fooferdoggie 

thew big advantage of a ebike is you dont need to be as aero you don't have to limit what you can carry so not the weight penalty you usually get and you can have wider tire for more comfort without as much penalty. though I see a fair amount of difference on my two bosch powered bikes one with 1.5" tires and the trek with more torque with 2.5" tire. even with the added torque it wont accelerate as fast and I cant cruise quite as fast on it. as it feels ink I am doing the same work but I am not.
Old 07-05-22, 06:30 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by m.c.
The ones I've been seeing don't require pedaling. They are electric motorcycles that happen to have pedals on them.
And they should be regulated and licensed as such. Just because they don't make engine noise and put out exhaust doesn't make them any less a motorcycle.

The problem, of course, is how the heck to enforce such regulations. If it were a bunch of mopeds on the bike paths, they'd be ticketed and fined and people would be yelling at them or at least expressing disapproval and probably reporting them. But they're quiet so that make it OK, I guess.

Remember, I'm talking about the throttle ones that don't require pedaling. E-assist, I have not problem with, except...

At first, I thought that ebikes were a good idea. If they were at least pedal assist and limited to a reasonable bicycle speed - 10 to 12 mph - I'd still feel the same. But 15-20+mph and not pedaling has made me not a fan of the entire technology. Yea, yea, yea, people say that 15mph is a normal cycling speed. Not for an average cyclist, at least not for very long. Having a bunch of ebikes (pedal assist and not) going 15mph on a MUP is not good. Bikes going 15mph are uncommon enough that it's not a common thing, but still, generally going 15mph on a MUP is not good, imho.

Last edited by Camilo; 07-05-22 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-05-22, 06:48 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 137 Posts
thew big advantage of a ebike is you dont need to be as aero you don't have to limit what you can carry so not the weight penalty you usually get and you can have wider tire for more comfort without as much penalty. though I see a fair amount of difference on my two bosch powered bikes one with 1.5" tires and the trek with more torque with 2.5" tire. even with the added torque it wont accelerate as fast and I cant cruise quite as fast on it. as it feels ink I am doing the same work but I am not.
We call them motorcycles.
Old 07-05-22, 07:37 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
And they should be regulated and licensed as such. Just because they don't make engine noise and put out exhaust doesn't make them any less a motorcycle.

The problem, of course, is how the heck to enforce such regulations. If it were a bunch of mopeds on the bike paths, they'd be ticketed and fined and people would be yelling at them or at least expressing disapproval and probably reporting them. But they're quiet so that make it OK, I guess.

Remember, I'm talking about the throttle ones that don't require pedaling. E-assist, I have not problem with, except...

At first, I thought that ebikes were a good idea. If they were at least pedal assist and limited to a reasonable bicycle speed - 10 to 12 mph - I'd still feel the same. But 15-20+mph and not pedaling has made me not a fan of the entire technology. Yea, yea, yea, people say that 15mph is a normal cycling speed. Not for an average cyclist, at least not for very long. Having a bunch of ebikes (pedal assist and not) going 15mph on a MUP is not good. Bikes going 15mph are uncommon enough that it's not a common thing, but still, generally going 15mph on a MUP is not good, imho.
I don't know how they would enforce it with the different types. Some of the pedal assist type can be switched into a mode where they can just use the throttle. Some kids have them in my subdivision. Our city paths allow them all and it gets crazy, there are boosted boards, onewheels, bikes, families with dogs and kids. What I was told, don't know if its really a law or not, is that ebikes, electric motorcycles, etc must use the path, they aren't allowed on the city roads because they have motors, and they can't be registered to be road legal because they don't meet the criteria as a road legal motorcycle. The riders of many of these probably don't want to be on the path but they don't have a choice.

The main parish(county) rails to trails path has banned anything with a motor, gas or electric. Now many people that need their pedal assist bikes can't use it.

I really don't mind any of them as long as they are being used in a way to not be dangerous. I wouldn't want someone on a traditional bicycle riding by me in a dangerous way.

Last edited by m.c.; 07-05-22 at 07:43 PM.
Likes For m.c.:
Old 07-05-22, 07:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
I am maybe not getting the same workout but I am riding that bike to work nearly daily so I am getting more riding in a lot more riding in and getting into better shape.

Keep this in mind when I am talking e-bikes I am talking pedal assisted bicycles, throttled vehicles are not bikes. Call them mopeds or motorcycles whatever you want but if you don't have to pedal it to move it forward that is not a bike. Bikes are pedal powered either assisted or not.

I recommend for everyone to find a shop that sells quality e-bikes and test ride one. You don't have to love it, you don't have to own one, but you should try one and get a feel for what it is. Keep in mind an e-bike could get another car of the road or get someone not interested in bikes more interested and push the industry farther. More people on bikes is a good thing and if you don't believe in that maybe a bike forum is not the place for you.

I was in the same boat as many folks "I hate e-bikes" but then I rode something of quality and got a sense of it. Seeing a lot of crap makes it hard to see what is really going on. Being on a bike is awesome no matter how you slice it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-05-22, 08:02 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Outrider1
We call them motorcycles.
when do you peddle a motorcycle?
Old 07-05-22, 08:22 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
I call "e-bikes:" mopeds, because that is what they actually are, they have no more relation to a real bicycle than the pedal-start board-track racing motorcycles of the WWI era.

They are no more bicycles than an "e-cigarette" is a cigarette. They do not belong at bicycle gatherings or at bicycle rides, they belong at events and gatherings for motor vehicles, maybe the Harley-dominated poker-run.

If I ever smell that an moped rider believes they have anything to do with human-powered bicycling, an effort should be made to correct their thinking. I am sure they are forums for motorcycles with sections for so-called "e-bikes", and there are internet forums specific to gasoline powered mopeds and scooters, that is where the e-biker and their over-priced trendy, fashioable POS belong.
Likes For beng1:
Old 07-05-22, 08:38 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by beng1
I call "e-bikes:" mopeds, because that is what they actually are, they have no more relation to a real bicycle than the pedal-start board-track racing motorcycles of the WWI era.

They are no more bicycles than an "e-cigarette" is a cigarette. They do not belong at bicycle gatherings or at bicycle rides, they belong at events and gatherings for motor vehicles, maybe the Harley-dominated poker-run.

If I ever smell that an moped rider believes they have anything to do with human-powered bicycling, an effort should be made to correct their thinking. I am sure they are forums for motorcycles with sections for so-called "e-bikes", and there are internet forums specific to gasoline powered mopeds and scooters, that is where the e-biker and their over-priced trendy, fashioable POS belong.
right. I guess according to my HRM and my watts meter I somehow burn around 600 to 800 calories a day riding one of those mopeds amazing really. this is really just a lack of knowledge about e bikes and how they work. Now a hub drive bike ya it can ridden with no effort and just spinning the peddles or using the throttle. but a mid drive with a torque sensor requires you to put effort into peddling. if you dont you don't go anywhere. this morning I averaged 140 watts and burned about 225 calories thats hard to do on a moped. nothing outstanding but not bad for me. on a really good day I can average 200 watts. hell the nI climbed a 22% grade hill yesterday my heart rate hit 165 how is that possible on a moped??? right before I eat the peach of this hill I was putting out over 500 watts and my heart rate hit 160 right after, Moped again? to max out my motors torque I have to put out 500 watts myself.

Old 07-05-22, 08:38 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 137 Posts
when do you peddle a motorcycle?
Never. Nor do I peddle my bicycles. And where I reside, ebike folks don't pedal their machines either.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 07-05-22, 08:42 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Outrider1
Never. Nor do I peddle my bicycles. And where I reside, ebike folks don't pedal their machines either.
yes I see plenty of them too. but if you have a trek or specialized or such mid drive your working and you get rewarded by long range. wife and I ride our tandem everywhere we dont even own a car. we did 235 miles last week.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 07-06-22, 05:12 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
right. I guess according to my HRM and my watts meter I somehow burn around 600 to 800 calories a day riding one of those mopeds amazing really.
You can burn calories doing yoga, playing video games, walking , or swimming, all of which have as much to do with human-powered bicycling as electric/gasoline-powered mopeds. That is my last word on the subject, you are welcome.
Old 07-06-22, 05:34 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by beng1
You can burn calories doing yoga, playing video games, walking , or swimming, all of which have as much to do with human-powered bicycling as electric/gasoline-powered mopeds. That is my last word on the subject, you are welcome.
lets not forget farting and pooping. but can you raise your heart rate? you keep ignoring this. my ebike is human powered it will not move unless I put effort into peddling. the more I put in the more it helps to a point . but I can chose how much it helps. so I can choose how much I exercise. on a regular bike you can only choose that by speed the faster you go the more you have to work. I can work the same amount at 4 different speeds I am not stuck at whatever speed my energy allows. all ebikes do not have throttles. pease learn a bit more before arguing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.