Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ear protection when pumping tires

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ear protection when pumping tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-22, 11:58 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Yeah. The thing that I worry about with steam locomotives is that the guys who used to run them as a job, day in, day out, are all either dead or REAL old, and no matter how much you teach or train someone, unless they're doing it as a job, they're having to REMEMBER to do all the things, rather than doing them automatically.
It's all in books. 100 years ago you could take a correspondence course on locomotive management. I have all the textbooks (and have read the pertinent ones). Hands-on experience definitely helps, though.
Old 07-07-22, 12:02 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Larry outdid himself with this thread. I’ve lost track of all the arguments but many of them aren’t even arguing with Larry at this point.

A+
First ballot Hall of Fame material.
Old 07-07-22, 12:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
It's all in books. 100 years ago you could take a correspondence course on locomotive management. I have all the textbooks (and have read the pertinent ones). Hands-on experience definitely helps, though.
I have a copy of Forney's Locomotive Catechism, too. Found it at an old book store near the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum. I was amazed at all the stuff they had to know. There's a reason locomotive engineers were among the highest paid labor.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-07-22, 12:13 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Dude. What do you think the "V" stands for.
youd probably have to use water displacement to measure volume change, which sounds like a hassle
Old 07-07-22, 12:14 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
We just have different perspectives on how we ride, which is totally fine. If I want to treat every encounter with another rider as a legitimate race, and it makes me enjoy my ride more because of it, there's nothing wrong with it.
I tried that line of reasoning the last time I got a speeding ticket. It only made matters worse. Much worse.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 07-07-22, 12:33 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I tried that line of reasoning the last time I got a speeding ticket. It only made matters worse. Much worse.
I got a ticket a few months ago for "failure to stop at a stopsign" when I didn't even do anything wrong, stopped most of the way, and it was this weirdo cop who must have been new to the force and doesn't know who I am. I have a good relationship with the woodside police department and this was out of pocket of them to do, so I ignored it. No way am I gonna pay. I asked another cop what would happen if I ignored it and he told me they would put a warrant out for my arrest, and I told him he was full of ****. Will the fine eventually go away? I heard medical debt expires after like 10 years
Old 07-07-22, 12:43 PM
tomato coupe

I got a ticket a few months ago for "failure to stop at a stopsign" when I didn't even do anything wrong, stopped most of the way, and it was this weirdo cop who must have been new to the force and doesn't know who I am. I have a good relationship with the woodside police department and this was out of pocket of them to do, so I ignored it. No way am I gonna pay. I asked another cop what would happen if I ignored it and he told me they would put a warrant out for my arrest, and I told him he was full of ****. Will the fine eventually go away? I heard medical debt expires after like 10 years
Yes, unpaid traffic tickets are technically classified as medical debt, so you’ll be okay ignoring it.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-07-22, 12:45 PM
MixedRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Unpaid traffic tickets (if issued to you with correct SSN and address) could result in late penalties and eventually head to collections. Additionally, your drivers license may be suspended until they are paid.
As for medical debt, I would check with a lawyer...
Old 07-07-22, 12:48 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yes, unpaid traffic tickets are technically classified as medical debt, so you’ll be okay ignoring it.
Don't believe this! I heard Big Gravel employs bounty hunters to track down cyclist traffic violators.
Old 07-07-22, 12:49 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by MixedRider
Unpaid traffic tickets (if issued to you with correct SSN and address) could result in late penalties and eventually head to collections. Additionally, your drivers license may be suspended until they are paid.
As for medical debt, I would check with a lawyer...
jokes on them I dont have a drivers license. I messed up and gave him my real info, and the penalty for not doing anything was 300$ according to the letter they sent me. Im not paying anything though no way, I was in the right.
Old 07-07-22, 12:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Did you sign anything when he gave you the ticket?
Failure to appear if you signed a promise to appear can be a misdemeanor under California law.

Really stupid thing to do to ignore a ticket. Turns a no big deal into a potentially big deal problem.
Old 07-07-22, 12:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
jokes on them I dont have a drivers license. I messed up and gave him my real info, and the penalty for not doing anything was 300$ according to the letter they sent me. Im not paying anything though no way, I was in the right.

So go to court and fight it. You like to argue, just wear a shirt and have fun with it. Bring in photos and everything.
Old 07-07-22, 12:56 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
Air can hurt you, too:

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 07-07-22, 12:58 PM
m.c. 

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
An ignored ticket here gets you a warrant. Every now and then they take the list of people with warrants and go out and get them during the night.
Your relationship with the police is irrelevant to the prosecutor and judge.
Likes For m.c.:
Old 07-07-22, 12:59 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Failure to appear if you signed a promise to appear can be a misdemeanor under California law.
Does Larry live in California?! I wonder if I've ever unwittingly lost a race to him.
Old 07-07-22, 01:00 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

Really stupid thing to do to ignore a ticket. Turns a no big deal into a potentially big deal problem.
College roommate of mine accumulated three campus parking tickets back in the early '80s. They were $5 each. He went to the local court, where a magistrate threw out one of them. To get out of the courthouse, he had to pay the $10 -- but then he stopped payment on the check. (Same story as Larry's: felt he was "in the right.")

I suggested that they would not just forget about it...There would be consequences. But my friend just laughed and said, "We're going home for the summer. Nothing will happen."

About a month later, my friend was driving the tractor on his family's farm, 80 miles from campus, when a squad car pulled up on the nearby dirt road. The cops got him out of the tractor (shirtless), cuffed him, and took him to jail for booking. As I recall, it ended up costing him more than $10.
Old 07-07-22, 01:01 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Does Larry live in California?! I wonder if I've ever unwittingly lost a race to him.
I'm in the bay, you can find me on the local group rides

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 07-07-22 at 01:04 PM.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 07-07-22, 01:01 PM
tomato coupe

Don't believe this! I heard Big Gravel employs bounty hunters to track down cyclist traffic violators.
Big Gravel vehemently denies this. Big Gravel would also like to remind you that we know where you live.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-07-22, 01:03 PM
Koyote

This line is my favorite part of the story. It's like one of those "Karen" stories.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-07-22, 01:05 PM
smd4

I got a ticket a few months ago for "failure to stop at a stopsign" when I didn't even do anything wrong, stopped most of the way,
Most of the way? Is this like being "sort of pregnant?" Either you stopped, or you didn't. If you didn't, then yes, you did something wrong.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-07-22, 01:08 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
I got a ticket a few months ago for "failure to stop at a stopsign" when I didn't even do anything wrong, stopped most of the way, and it was this weirdo cop who must have been new to the force and doesn't know who I am.
So, you didn't stop.

I asked another cop what would happen if I ignored it and he told me they would put a warrant out for my arrest, and I told him he was full of ****. Will the fine eventually go away? I heard medical debt expires after like 10 years
So, again, you asked somebody who should know more than you and, because you didn't like their answer, declare that they are wrong.
Likes For njkayaker:
urbanknight
Over the hill

I'm in the bay, you can find me on the local group rides
Ah, unless that's "south bay" I'm too far away. Haven't cycled in Nor Cal since my racing days in the 90's.

But yeah, bench warrants don't expire here.
Koyote

Most of the way? Is this like being "sort of pregnant?" Either you stopped, or you didn't. If you didn't, then yes, you did something wrong.
Hey, try to follow the plot, please. It was the cop's fault. He was new to the force, and didn't know that Larry gets to, you know, break the law and stuff.
Likes For Koyote:
smd4

Probably. I'm in North Carolina, and it happened to me.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-07-22, 01:09 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
If he stopped, he would have said he stopped. Clearly, he didn't stop and is trying to pull one over on people here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.