Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Getting passed by Road Bikers while on a Hybrid

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Getting passed by Road Bikers while on a Hybrid

Old 07-08-22, 09:07 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Why the **** do people get so stressed out and butthurt about getting passed by another cyclists ??....It's definitely an ego thing
You answered your question.
Old 07-08-22, 09:10 AM
Flipper_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Flipper was a GREAT show. I remember watching it on our black and white TV when I was a young buy. I guess my main question to the OP is, what is your true motivation to ride? In my younger days I used to pass other road riders. My motivation then was competitive. My motivation today is to ride for enjoyment and stay in shape. I'm just as happy now as I've ever been riding my bike.
That is exactly it for me, but it's interesting to note how your rides relate and even compare to other riders, equipment, styles. My main focus is MTB on flowing local trails which is outrageously great in every way but now that I'm feeling stronger, I've started to do limestone trail out-and-back rides and have been observing my surroundings and, occasionally, getting blown off the trail by faster dudes, chicks, children, single-speeders and unicyclists.
Likes For Flipper_:
Old 07-08-22, 09:10 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,349 Times in 7,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Flipper_
I think it's something that happened in my childhood, perhaps was bullied. .
...you'd remember if you were bullied, no perhaps about it. I, too, get passed by an assortment of riders on e-bikes, many of which now resemble motorcycles, out on the MUP. Their common characteristics seem to be that the majority seem to be a little plump, they're all going 25 mph, and lately every darn one of them has one of those irritating little "ding" bells, that I can hardly hear. This is their substitute for a vocal announcement that they are passing me on a blind curve.

My solution so far has been to momentarily slow down, so they can get as far ahead of me as possible in the brief time we share the road together. YMMV
Old 07-08-22, 09:17 AM
Flipper_

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
reminds me of a time I was on a long paved trail. I had roadified a hybrid, w/ tires, saddle & drop bars. it was comfortable, I was healthy & about 15 yrs younger than I am now. at the time, a pretty efficient rider. anyway, I was passed & passed others. no big deal. but then I passed this one guy, who then caught up to me to pass me intentionally exclaiming: "I'm not gonna get passed by a hybrid, that's a hybrid, right?" as he looked at the front shock I locked out. then not long after, w/o extra effort, I passed him again

our speed is our speed. we're all built differently. he was considerably shorter than I am, maybe that had something do do w/ it as well? I have a relative that I hike/walk with sometimes. he's taller & seems to just stride faster w/ little effort, while I seem to require more effort to keep up. it's mildly annoying, but not for ego reasons, I have to work harder to keep up

at 63, the older I get, the more I get passed. sometimes have to remind myself if I can't deal w/ that, I've got to adjust my attitude

if I was in my 20s ...
That's a great window into exactly what I'm getting at. It's all relative, but I sometimes think we're all racing, whether we realize it, accept it or like it. I actually think that's kind of the fun- good for that dude for going all out (I probably would have kept my Hybrid comments to myself) good for you for retaking him, good for both of you to be on the trail and getting after it. I'm 8 years and 5 surgeries past my earlier prime (am 51 now) but I actually can barely quantify the joy of being back out there- now on limestone as well as flowy MTB- it's amazing beyond words.
Likes For Flipper_:
Old 07-08-22, 09:19 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Is this the lot in life for Hybrid riders, watching these hunched over, aerodynamic, well-kitted and quiet assassins overtake with seeming ease and then build separation on limestone trails
Evidently so. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-08-22, 09:20 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
Here's a science-ish answer from the Kreuzotter Power & Speed calculator:

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-08-22, 09:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I've ridden a comfort hybrid and a fitness hybrid. I passed and dropped plenty of road bike riders who obviously thought we were racing on the fitness hybrid. The fitness hybrid (2017 FX 3) was especially great for climbing on a road.
I'm definitely a little faster on my road bikes, but the FX was a lot closer to a road bike than it was to a comfort bike. They're just not the same type of bike at all.

A few years ago, I encountered a young guy riding a Walmart MTB in Worcester, MA in the mid-20 mph range while I was riding my road bike (I honestly don't remember which bike I was riding). I passed him as I was coming into town and didn't think much of it, and then I suddenly realized he was right with me about 10 minutes later when our routes diverged at the other end of town. We had a very quick laugh when we both commented on being surprised how fast the other guy was.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-08-22, 09:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
News flash: riding on the MUP is not racing, no matter how much your ego says otherwise.

But a little mutual Cat 6 can be fun, and sometimes a conversation will break out.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-08-22, 09:56 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,843 Times in 6,062 Posts
It all depends on what you want out of riding a bike. Sometimes all I want is to be outside, enjoying the fresh air and the scenery. Sometimes I want to go as fast as I can down a sharp descent. Sometimes I want to getas aero as possible and pound along the flats for a couple miles. Usually, all in the same ride. I don't try to compete with other riders, but most of us will mark someone ahead of us as a motivator. If I catch and pass them, it doesn't mean I "won" against them. It means I succeeded at a challenge I set for myself.

I ride road bikes, not just because they're faster and more aero, but because they're more comfortable - I have my choice of hand positions, the weight balance between butt and hands is better, and with the right saddle and fit, I can ride for miles comfortably in the drops.

Where I live there are A LOT of cyclists. Every ride, you'll encounter riders who are younger than you, and older. Skinnier than you, or fatter. Faster than you, or slower. My personal goal is to be the "Older, Fatter, Faster" rider for as many folks as possible.

And then some older, fatter dude passes me.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-08-22, 10:01 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...if you ride an older, more colorful, and nicely restored road bike, sometimes the people passing you will slow down a little to look at it and comment on it. That's the best I got.
Old 07-08-22, 10:10 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I get passed all the time by people on ebikes, e-scooters and uber eats.

Riding slowly helps avoid getting right-hooked sometimes.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 07-08-22, 10:13 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I get passed all the time by people on ebikes, e-scooters and uber eats.

Riding slowly helps avoid getting right-hooked sometimes.
You'll be left-hooked instead.
Old 07-08-22, 10:26 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
There's always someone faster.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-08-22, 10:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,466 Times in 7,307 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
When I ride my road bike I sometimes get passed by others riding road bikes. I’m ok with that.
And I have passed people on road bikes while riding my touring bike while it was fully loaded.

I finished what I consider the last day of a nearly four-month, unsupported trip across the U.S. and then some by participating in a charity event to reach the New Jersey shore. I was still carrying all my gear. I had people drafting me. Oh, to be 34 again.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-08-22, 10:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,466 Times in 7,307 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Evidently so. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
I smell something....Well. You know.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-08-22, 10:47 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
When I ride my road bike I get passed by cars all the time. I guess I could just drive my car instead...
Old 07-08-22, 10:56 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

Do you think I should just harden the **** up?
I think you should just focus on enjoying riding your bike and stop worrying about getting passed...Upgrading to a better bike is nice, trying to get fitter and faster is good too... but you need to remember that no matter how nice your bike is or how fast you are or how fit you are, there will always going to be somebody out there who is faster, fitter and stronger rider than you.
Old 07-08-22, 11:08 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
So OP shouldn't do some cat 6 racing because there is always someone faster? I think he's figured that out.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 07-08-22, 11:10 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
And sometimes you're just about out of steam, at the end of a very long ride, trying to make it that last mile to make it home.... That's when it seems everyone comes out of the woodwork to pass you. It just is what it is.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 07-08-22, 11:11 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
But a little mutual Cat 6 can be fun, and sometimes a conversation will break out.
Especially if you're on the Left Coast and meet Larry.
Old 07-08-22, 11:22 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
Just the opposite here-- I keep getting passed by hybrids while on my road bike! Possibly because they're 30-40 yrs younger? Or maybe I'm just cruising along enjoying the ride.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 07-08-22, 11:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
sometimes think we're all racing
haha yeah. was out riding in the forest w friend & we kept inching forward of the other each time making us both faster. by time the ride was over we both had a solid ride. I think I didn't snack or drink as much as I usually do & I was really toasted at the end
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-08-22, 01:37 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
Can someone please tell me what the hell a "MUP" is?
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
reminds me of a time I was on a long paved trail. I had roadified a hybrid, w/ tires, saddle & drop bars. it was comfortable, I was healthy & about 15 yrs younger than I am now. at the time, a pretty efficient rider. anyway, I was passed & passed others. no big deal. but then I passed this one guy, who then caught up to me to pass me intentionally exclaiming: "I'm not gonna get passed by a hybrid, that's a hybrid, right?" as he looked at the front shock I locked out. then not long after, w/o extra effort, I passed him again

our speed is our speed. we're all built differently. he was considerably shorter than I am, maybe that had something do do w/ it as well? I have a relative that I hike/walk with sometimes. he's taller & seems to just stride faster w/ little effort, while I seem to require more effort to keep up. it's mildly annoying, but not for ego reasons, I have to work harder to keep up

at 63, the older I get, the more I get passed. sometimes have to remind myself if I can't deal w/ that, I've got to adjust my attitude

if I was in my 20s ...
You bring up an interesting point, the height difference. I'm 5'4" but I'm pretty strong. I like riding because it's a good way to convert strength into speed. But I struggle to keep up with guys, even with my strength. I know guys tend to have more upper body strength but I don't think, pound for pound (or gram for gram), your legs are that much more powerful than ours. So I'm left to conclude that the height difference is a significant factor. But I can't figure out the mechanics of it. I mean, generally speaking, aren't cranks fairly standardized? I know there are different lengths, but don't those tend to be more specialized? If I'm 5'4" and riding a bike with the exact same wheel size and crank throw as a guy who's 5'10", but he's faster than me, is it a strength issue? Or is it a leverage issue? How would having longer legs on the same length crank be an advantage?
That's a great window into exactly what I'm getting at. It's all relative, but I sometimes think we're all racing, whether we realize it, accept it or like it. I actually think that's kind of the fun- good for that dude for going all out (I probably would have kept my Hybrid comments to myself) good for you for retaking him, good for both of you to be on the trail and getting after it. I'm 8 years and 5 surgeries past my earlier prime (am 51 now) but I actually can barely quantify the joy of being back out there- now on limestone as well as flowy MTB- it's amazing beyond words.
I get where you're coming from. I don't consider it a race, but I always like to either pass or keep up with someone who passes me. It's not about a race, it's about pushing myself harder than I would if nobody was around. I tend to use other riders, when I come across them, as "rabbits". Keeps me from getting lazy.
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Here's a science-ish answer from the Kreuzotter Power & Speed calculator:

Interesting info. Thanks for posting.
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
And sometimes you're just about out of steam, at the end of a very long ride, trying to make it that last mile to make it home.... That's when it seems everyone comes out of the woodwork to pass you. It just is what it is.
That's how I finish all my rides, wishing they were just a couple miles shorter.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 07-08-22, 01:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
MUP = multi-use path
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-08-22, 03:07 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Can someone please tell me what the hell a "MUP" is?
...it's like Death Race 2000, but on bicycles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.