Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Miles of smiles

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Miles of smiles

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-22, 04:22 PM
Albion 

Bikes: 1980 Fuji Gran Tourer SE, 1974 Araya, 1986 Team Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Miles of smiles

Hi C&V forum members, I would like to share a happy combination of wheel components that have pleased me more than any other. I thought of titling this post "Do I have the best wheels in the world?" but that might seem a little over the top. Here goes . . .

The ingredients
  • Hubs: Sunshine 5345. NOS from Barcelona through eBay. Pine tar removed, polished with brown polishing wax and a buffing wheel and then Mothers, new balls from PGN (Penguin) bearings, Park grease (of course).
  • Rims: H Plus Son TB14 700c rims. Welded, eyeleted, machined, with an invisible joint. Wretchedly obstinate maker's label around the valve stem removed that allows fitting Schrader tubes.
  • Tires: Vittoria Corsa "Control". Modern size, classic sidewall.
Lessons learned
  • My LBS here in Phoenix is "Curbside Cyclery", a husband and wife team who know and ride old bikes, care, and cost less than anyone else I know in the area. They did a great job lacing the wheels.
  • The tires are really tight to fit and even the thickness of the rim tape affects this.
  • There is a surprisingly large difference in feel and comfort between the 25s and 28s - far more than, say, with Paselas.
  • The 700c rims opened up a whole new world of tire choices
This combination is the best I have ever known, the setup feels sure-footed and secure. BTW if your calipers don't have enough reach, consider the Dia Compe DC-750 62mm - 78mm reach (I was lucky with the Fuji and was able to reach with the original DCs). And Dura 2 TripleLite pads, because, well, Kool-Stop. Hope this is of use!

Last edited by Albion; 07-10-22 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-10-22, 05:19 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Love Sunshine stuff. Nice build!
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 07-10-22, 05:20 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Good job! I thought of doing that, back when I had a set of those sweet Sunshine hubs (forget which model now), but the cost is somewhat prohibitive. 😟 Maybe I need to learn wheel building? 🤔😁
Likes For stardognine:
Old 07-10-22, 05:24 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
Good job! I thought of doing that, back when I had a set of those sweet Sunshine hubs (forget which model now), but the cost is somewhat prohibitive. 😟 Maybe I need to learn wheel building? 🤔😁
It 's not hard. What helped me was having a known good wheel to use as a reference.

I forgot to mention that I looked up directions from the Sheldon Brown site.

Last edited by beech333; 07-10-22 at 07:15 PM.
Likes For beech333:
Old 07-10-22, 05:38 PM
m.c. 

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
That bike looks great.
Likes For m.c.:
Old 07-10-22, 07:14 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Originally Posted by beech333
It 's not hard. What helped me was having a known good wheel to use as a reference.
I found the Musson book (available online here) to be invaluable when I decided to learn how to build wheels last winter. And the DIY truing stand is both functional and attractive in its own right.
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 07-11-22, 11:44 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3193 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 1,162 Posts
I have a set of low flange Sunshine hube, awaiting a build. They were harvested from a 1980 Trek 414 with 27" rims.
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 07-11-22, 01:35 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I'm curious why you'd want to use Schrader valves?
Likes For shoota:
Old 07-11-22, 02:10 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm curious why you'd want to use Schrader valves?

Good question. Those H+Son rims use the plate over the valve hole as a counterweight to the rim weld which harkens back to the old days of the Ambrosio Nemesis, etc. A nice classic touch. Why would anyone want to use Schrader valves on bicycle tires?

With regard to the corsa controls, yes, very nice tires. You'll find that they stretch a bit over time, so they may have been a bear to initially mount, but once you get some miles on them, they'll come off and on easier.
Likes For AngryScientist:
Old 07-11-22, 03:28 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I have a bike with the Vittoria Corsa Control tires, another bike with the TB14 rims, and a third bike with Sanshin-made Specialized hubs (probably furthest from equivalent to the OP's magic ingredients). I can see how together they would make for an exemplary ride. My suspicion is that the tires are the most significant contributor. I've got them on a PX-10 with Mavic Module E rims and Normandy Sport hubs, and the bike positively floats. The TB14s are probably the best looking modern rim for vintage builds. I think they're slightly stiffer feeling than some of my other rims, but with the right tire that won't matter.

A point of clarification, @Albion, are you saying that the black plate on the TB14s comes off to reveal a Schrader-sized hole, or did you have it drilled?
Old 07-12-22, 12:31 PM
Albion 

Bikes: 1980 Fuji Gran Tourer SE, 1974 Araya, 1986 Team Fuji

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
In reply . . .

First of all, many thanks for the thoughtful comments received. A few thoughts in reply . . .
  • Sunshine 5345s seem to be pretty ubiquitous and not too costly on eBay. Every 10/12 speed I see has them, other than my awful old Ross which had low-end Maillard hubs. Near me is an outfit called Bike Saviors which helps folks repair and build bikes. Their prices are good on individual components - maybe there's one like them near you?
  • Why did I use Schraders? I confirm the aesthetic appeal of Presta and the purity but it's a pain unscrewing the little top nut on the core and fitting the adapter so I can use a compressor or standard car tire pump - and then not losing the adapter. A related point, I have yet to find a truly easy or effective inflator chuck fitted to a "stirrup" pump. Always a struggle, with more pressure lost putting it on than seems right. BTW, the Maillard wheels came with Schrader piercings . . .
  • The H+Son rims include a maker's plate held in place at the valve piercing. A part of the decision to remove it was that I had never seen such a plate on my '70s and '80s machines and as it's only held in the center it could trap grit. My old wheels usually had a decal artfully covering a rubbish pinned joint, even on quite good rims (yes, Mavic). If you go this route, thread some green "Frog" (low-residue) tape under the free ends of the oval plate and on top so that when it begins to loosen and inclined to rotate the tape prevents scratching the polished finish on the saddle of the rim. Removing it reveals a correctly-sized Schrader piercing.
  • Regarding the counterbalance, another very good point. To check, I put the Fuji up on a stand, and looked for balance issues - did the wheel stop spinning with the valve at the lowest point? It didn't, and was pleasingly random with a slight tendency on one wheel to stop with the valve at a horizontal position.
  • Encouraging observations from AngryScientist and Andy K about the tires, and I am sure you are right about the ride and hope they loosen up a bit as mentioned. For comparison, I have another set with Sunshine Sheriff Star hubs - much liked by the great Sheldon Brown - and TB14 rims, on which I mounted Veloflex Corsa Evo 25s, the wheelset intended for an '86 Team Fuji frame I was graciously given by another C&V member. The wheelset gives a bone-shaker ride on urban blacktop, just plain unpleasant. What a costly experiment!
It's dialogs like this that make my $20 for two years well worth it.

Last edited by Albion; 07-12-22 at 01:30 PM.
Likes For Albion: