Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Looking to Retro-fit my Schwinn Varsity and need advice.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-22, 10:16 AM
Rasznu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

To be honest I dont know much about bikes. I have a "newer" Schwinn Varsity i'm not sure about the year. I want to retro-fit the bike with a new groupset, brakes, seat, etc. I know i'll probably have to bring it into a local bike shop which i'm sure they'll be able to help me out. I'm not sure the exact parts I need to buy, a friend recommended the Shimano 105? Anything reliable is fine as I don't ride for speed but just as exercise and at a somewhat slow pace usually (14-16mph) and usually and in somewhat flat terrain. Not sure if this is even the right place to post, but thank you in advance. I'm also willing to send pictures if needed?
Likes For Rasznu:
Old 08-06-22, 10:20 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Rasznu
To be honest I dont know much about bikes. I have a "newer" Schwinn Varsity i'm not sure about the year. I want to retro-fit the bike with a new groupset, brakes, seat, etc. I know i'll probably have to bring it into a local bike shop which i'm sure they'll be able to help me out. I'm not sure the exact parts I need to buy, a friend recommended the Shimano 105? Anything reliable is fine as I don't ride for speed but just as exercise and at a somewhat slow pace usually (14-16mph) and usually and in somewhat flat terrain. Not sure if this is even the right place to post, but thank you in advance. I'm also willing to send pictures if needed?
Based on what you need, keep the Varsity stock. It's a durable, well made bike that will survive, along with the cockroaches, a nuclear blast.
Old 08-06-22, 10:22 AM
Rasznu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by branko_76
Based on what you need, keep the Varsity stock. It's a durable, well made bike that will survive, along with the cockroaches, a nuclear blast.
The issue is I found the bike in a relative's old garage and the current groupset and stuff is a bit rusty :/
Old 08-06-22, 10:27 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
If it's a "newer" Varsity, it could be a Pacific-era bike. That would greatly simplify the upgrade path. Easiest way to tell would probably be if it has a 1pc crankset or not.
Old 08-06-22, 10:37 AM
Rasznu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How would I tell the difference?
Old 08-06-22, 10:57 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Rasznu , attempt to post some pictures, especially from the right (drive) side of the bike, and showing some detail of the components, esp. the rust damage. The forum will tell you that you can't post, but the pics will end up in your gallery/album here, and one of us can then post them to this thread.

But if you're interested, you should explore the forums more as well, post a few replies on threads of interest to you. After 5 replies each day for two days, you're over the 10 posts, and can post your own pics.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 08-06-22, 11:00 AM
Rasznu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ok thanks!
Old 08-06-22, 11:37 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

The issue is I found the bike in a relative's old garage and the current groupset and stuff is a bit rusty :/
I understand, but, like I suggested earlier, the Schwinn Varsity, if you have one of the Made in Chicago models, can withstand any type of abuse. Clean it up and it will ride and shift properly for years to come.

Posting photos of it will make this thread more meaningful
Old 08-06-22, 11:49 AM
Rasznu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok I think they went through?
Old 08-06-22, 12:01 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 512 Posts
Ok I think they went through?
I did not see any pictures in your album yet.
Old 08-06-22, 12:09 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 319 Posts
It is highly unlikely that upgrading a Varsity, regardless of era, will be cost effective. Especially if you have a shop do the work, you could buy a much nicer bike with a lighter, better frame and with much nicer parts for a lot less than the cost of your "upgrade." do some reading on the forums and online, start looking at FB and CL -- for example you can find good condition steel Treks in the 400 series for less than $250 with a bit of looking -- focus on that sort of path. If the Varsity is an old one clean it up and useit as an errand bike -- as others have said, they're pretty tough, but will never be fast or light.
Likes For JulesCW:
Old 08-06-22, 12:23 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
...I couldn't maintain 14-16 mph on an older Varsity, if I were being chased by wolves.
Old 08-06-22, 12:49 PM
Maytag

Bikes: more than needed, Vintage Road Bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Just google some Varsity pictures to help you evaluate "newer or Vintage". While a newer , made in Taiwan/China, model might be easier up upgrade, it is only feasible if you can do it yourself. Handing it over to a bicycle shop will cost you. As others said, if you looking to upgrade, you are probably better off searching for another ride option. If maintenance parts need to be replaced, here you can boost up a little with better brake pads, sportier tires, replacing worn out chain and change cables can spruce some life back in it. You mentioned it is more just exercise for you, than just refresh/maintain your bike, maybe give it some new handlebar wrap and fall back in love again
Old 08-06-22, 01:20 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Photo assist:

We would call that modern. It's... what.... roughly turn-of-the-century? I'm not seeing a lot of rust, and nothing looks really shot. Might need a new chain; only way to know for sure is by measurement.

NB: The "Varsity" most familiar to us in the C&V section is the '70s - early '80s variety, made of "gas pipe" steel and as tough as an Abrams M-1 tank, and weighing approximately the same.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 08-06-22, 01:25 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
A bike shop could get that cleaned, lubed, and adjusted for you for not much money. The light rust on there should clean off. Then you can see if you like it and decide if it needs to have more money spent on it.
Old 08-06-22, 03:33 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Unless the OP finds a "donor" bike from which a complete groupset can be harvested, the better approach will be for the OP to decide which aspects of the bike's current componentry are sufficiently "sub-standard" so as to warrant replacement.

The wheels, seatpost, derailers and shifters look like somewhat junky parts to me, and those brake levers need hoods or outright replacement!
The handlebar may even be steel.
The wheels are serviceable parts though, if un-damaged (and with the axle nut threads kept lubricated).
There is considerable labor involved with every parts change, and with changing cables and bar-tape.

I will say that the Pacific/Schwinn brand seems to have the very highest standards among box-store bikes in terms of bottom bracket quality, crankset quality, assembly quality and warranty responsiveness. Schwinn usually uses genuine Shimano derailers. And that frame looks ok if the OP fits a 55-56cm frame size.

Wire brushes of the "toothbrush" style (from Harbor Freight) dipped in white vinegar, will clean up the rusted parts pronto (the brass-bristle version is less likely to scratch the surrounding parts finishes).
Old 08-06-22, 05:19 PM
branko_76 

The Schwinn Varsity pictured in the previous post is not what I was thinking of. Your bike is a much more modern version and is in great shape. No need for "upgrades". Just clean it up then bring it to a bike shop for a tune up and ride