Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roubaix: Retrofit FutureShock 2.0 to 1.0 bike?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-05-19, 11:08 PM
SWorksRoubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Is this possible?

The new version has an option to tweak the suspension on the fly (wasn't available earlier, have to manually swap out the springs).

Thanks.

Old 10-06-19, 04:03 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by SWorksRoubaix
Is this possible?

The new version has an option to tweak the suspension on the fly (wasn't available earlier, have to manually swap out the springs).

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1-7_DywnMg
Is it possible? Answer: (a qualified) yes.

Caveat: I do not know with certainty that this retrofit is possible in a 1.0 Roubaix. I do know, however, that it works perfectly with a '19 Sirrus X Comp, which uses the Diverge version (progressive spring) of FS 1.0.

My bike's ('19 Sirrus X Comp) 1.0 FS was defective from the get-go, and was replaced under warranty a couple weeks ago. Specialized shipped a 2.0 (not 1.0, not 1.5) FS cartridge to my dealer as a replacement. It was installed with no issues, other than a spacer needed to work with the stock stem; the 2.0 Roubaix has a dedicated stem. Aesthetically, it looks like it belongs on the bike. I compared my 'new' Sirrus front end with a new Roubaix Expert (FS 2.0) at my lbs -- the look is identical.

What I can tell you: there is no comparison between the original and this 2.0 version. The latter not only looks nicer, but is utterly silent and effective. The hyraulic damping works as claimed: fully open, full travel; fully 'locked' is almost (not quite) a true lock-out; and everything in between.

I've no idea of the retail cost of the 2.0 cartridge, though I know it isn't inexpensive, but if you have an otherwise very nice Roubaix, and if this retrofit would work with your bike, it would be well worth it imo.

Old 10-06-19, 10:32 PM
SWorksRoubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks! Will check with my LBS (I have a S-Works Roubaix with FS 1.0).
Likes For SWorksRoubaix:
Old 10-08-19, 08:56 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
I'm wondering if it's possible to convert a bike with the new 1.5 FS (such as the Comp) to the 2.0. The LBS says no, but is that entirely correct?
Old 10-11-19, 07:48 AM
alvaroe16

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am very interested on this as well. Let me know what you find out!

Thanks
Old 10-11-19, 09:17 AM
alvaroe16

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized says NO!

Hello, thank you for reaching out to us. Unfortunately the frame and fork are different on future shock 2.0 equipped bikes so you will not be able to upgrade your current future shock.

Have a great day!

-Sam

--------------- Original Message ---------------
From: Rider Care Support [[email]no-reply@specialized.com
]
Sent: 10/11/2019 7:55 AM
To: MY EMAIL
Subject: Specialized Bicycle Components Case ######: Bike - Service Parts # #####

Thank you for contacting support. Case ######: has been created. Our team will be in contact shortly.

Subject: Bike - Service Parts # #####

Description: Hi,
I am hoping you can help me. I have a 2017 Roubaix Comp with the original FutureShock 1.0. I love my bike and love the futureshock. Now that the new FutureShock 2.0 is out, I am wondering if:
1) Can I upgrade my Roubaix Comp to a FutureShock 2.0? Will it fit my fork and bearing?
2) Does Specialize sell the FutureShock 2.0? How much is it?
Old 10-11-19, 09:27 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Yes, it will fit, but it will void the warranty. We have tested it to fit in 1.0 frames, and it works. Good luck though getting just the 2.0 shock, Spesh has made it very difficult for dealers to order just the shock (for this very reason). They require photo evidence of damage to your shock and also require that you exchange the damaged one for a new shock. It is also a dealer only service part.

Basically, it will fit, but good luck getting one.
Old 10-11-19, 09:50 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Humm. Doesn’t ring as a true answer, especially given that at least one swap out between a 1.0 and 2.0 has been done successfully. I suspect there is more going on here than “it won’t fit.” The future scock in any version has never been available as an aftermarket Option for purchase — only as a replacement part that must be ordered by an authorized dealer. And the 2.0 is only available on a few top end bike models. Sounds more like a marketing ploy than an engineering problem.

Just one guys opinion. Don’t get me wrong. I have a 2016 Specialized Roubaix that has been a tremendous bike. In fact, the move to the future shock has make it a classic before its time. But, I have been very disappointed in the development and deployment of the newer future shock equipped bikes. This thread only reinforces that dismay.

sorry it didn’t work out for you.
Old 10-11-19, 03:45 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
i would have thought a futureshock upgrade would be a good way to clearout stocks on those older Roubaix
Old 11-19-19, 11:32 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Does anyone have first-hand knowledge that the 2.0 Furureshock will work on older futureshock equipped frames? I am on good terms with my local shop and am thinking of trying it on an in-stock bike but would rather not pull the marker if I don't have to.
Old 11-19-19, 07:33 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
I rented a Roubaix with some version of this and was impressed. At some point during a 45 mile ride I realized my hands/arm weren't fatigued and I remembered the shock. It was a sweet ride and makes me want to get something new again. My current ride is a 13 years old Kuota with Chorus 10, and it was a really hot bike when new, but it sure isn't new anymore. Aside from the FS, the 11sp wide cassette and disk brakes were a big improvement, and even though I've always disliked Shimano shifting, this 105 felt better than my Chorus does, but it is much newer too. I can only imagine what Ultegra and DA are like, or DI2, but then again Campy hasnt been sleeping either,
Old 11-19-19, 09:29 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Originally Posted by badger1
Is it possible? Answer: (a qualified) yes.

Caveat: I do not know with certainty that this retrofit is possible in a 1.0 Roubaix. I do know, however, that it works perfectly with a '19 Sirrus X Comp, which uses the Diverge version (progressive spring) of FS 1.0.

My bike's ('19 Sirrus X Comp) 1.0 FS was defective from the get-go, and was replaced under warranty a couple weeks ago. Specialized shipped a 2.0 (not 1.0, not 1.5) FS cartridge to my dealer as a replacement. It was installed with no issues, other than a spacer needed to work with the stock stem; the 2.0 Roubaix has a dedicated stem. Aesthetically, it looks like it belongs on the bike. I compared my 'new' Sirrus front end with a new Roubaix Expert (FS 2.0) at my lbs -- the look is identical.

What I can tell you: there is no comparison between the original and this 2.0 version. The latter not only looks nicer, but is utterly silent and effective. The hyraulic damping works as claimed: fully open, full travel; fully 'locked' is almost (not quite) a true lock-out; and everything in between.

I've no idea of the retail cost of the 2.0 cartridge, though I know it isn't inexpensive, but if you have an otherwise very nice Roubaix, and if this retrofit would work with your bike, it would be well worth it imo.

I talked to one of my go-to guys at my local Specialized LBS today and told him about what I've heard here. I asked him to get to the bottom of it and get an definitive answer from Specialized. I asked him to be discreet and act as if he was asking for himself out of curiosity, and not for a customer. I would think Specialized doesn't want to let on it's possible to change out a 1.0 or 1.5 for the 2.0, because obviously they want you to buy the higher end bikes to get the 2.0.

So my guy called me at closing to let me know he talked to a very reliable source, and he told him that aesthetically, it could be done and look fine from the outside. But on the inside it would not work ...especially after some riding time. Foregoing all the technical lingo he used, the bottom line is that the 2.0 is a longer cartridge and requires more room internally to work, and the bikes that are equipped with it are designed to have it. Swapping one out, while looking fine, would present an internal problem within the head tube that could potentially be dangerous.

Now, I don't know if everything I heard today was the truth, a total lie ...or somewhere in between. But, it puts you in a box where you really can't pursue it.

Last edited by one4smoke; 11-19-19 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-19-19, 09:50 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by one4smoke
I talked to one of my go-to guys at my local Specialized LBS today and told him about what I've heard here. I asked him to get to the bottom of it and get an definitive answer from Specialized. I asked him to be discreet and act as if he was asking for himself out of curiosity, and not for a customer. I would think Specialized doesn't want to let on it's possible to change out a 1.0 or 1.5 for the 2.0, because obviously they want you to buy the higher end bikes to get the 2.0.

So my guy called me at closing to let me know he talked to a very reliable source, and he told him that aesthetically, it could be done and look fine from the outside. But on the inside it would not work ...especially after some riding time. Foregoing all the technical lingo he used, the bottom line is that the 2.0 requires more room internally to work, and the bikes that are equipped with it are designed to have it. Swapping one out, while looking fine, would present an internal problem within the head tube that could potentially be dangerous.

Now, I don't know if everything I heard today was the truth, a total lie ...or somewhere in between. But, it puts you in a box where you really can't pursue it.
Not doubting at all the veracity of your report of what your source said, but what was said strikes me as total nonsense. There is absolutely no way that Specialized (the company) would have supplied my LBS with a 2.0 cartridge as a warranty replacement for a 1.0 cartridge if installing the former on my bike would be potentially dangerous, and I trust my LBS enough to know that they would not have installed it or released the bike to me were there any potentially dangerous issues.
Old 11-20-19, 07:26 AM
one4smoke

Not doubting at all the veracity of your report of what your source said, but what was said strikes me as total nonsense. There is absolutely no way that Specialized (the company) would have supplied my LBS with a 2.0 cartridge as a warranty replacement for a 1.0 cartridge if installing the former on my bike would be potentially dangerous, and I trust my LBS enough to know that they would not have installed it or released the bike to me were there any potentially dangerous issues.
Well, that makes two of us because I don't doubt what you're saying either. So, this is certainly a head scratcher. I'd like to verify one way or the other, but it seems it all depends on who you talk to. Maybe it's dependent on which bike you have. What works on your Sirrus X Comp may not work on my Roubaix. Although, I don't believe my LBS guy even mentioned particular models. They just told him the repercussions of swapping them.
Old 11-20-19, 09:13 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
............... the bottom line is that the 2.0 is a longer cartridge and requires more room internally to work, and the bikes that are equipped with it are designed to have it. ............
If lengths are the same for older bikes, should it not work???
Old 11-20-19, 10:09 AM
badger1

Well, that makes two of us because I don't doubt what you're saying either. So, this is certainly a head scratcher. I'd like to verify one way or the other, but it seems it all depends on who you talk to. Maybe it's dependent on which bike you have. What works on your Sirrus X Comp may not work on my Roubaix. Although, I don't believe my LBS guy even mentioned particular models. They just told him the repercussions of swapping them.
Agree ... the 'party line' (and apparent inconsistency given my experience) from Specialized is odd.

If the answer you received had to do with fitting a FS (any) to a non-FS Specialized frame, like your Roubaix (?), that's one thing. So I dunno!

The 'length' thing is odd, though. According to my LBS there were no compatibility issues at all, and the other thing is that I can't see how 2.0 requires more room internally to work, as reported to you. Physically, the whole cartridge surely either fits, with clearance, or it doesn't. The 'working' (action) of the shock takes place inside the cartridge, and the travel hasn't changed. Puzzled!
Old 11-20-19, 02:12 PM
Alexbn921

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The new future shock 2.0 uses the same clamp and internal diameter as the old 1.0. Both are full sealed systems and the 2.0 is supposed to be longer. There is a possibility that it will not work on small frames, but my 61cm has several inches of extra room.

The main reason that specialized doesn't want to sell these IMO is that they are simply not making enough of them to meet demand for production of current bikes that use them. Give them a year and suddenly they will have enough and retrofits will be easily available.
Old 01-13-20, 08:03 AM
Threemanbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

I just got told by my LBS that you cannot go from 1.0 to 2.0 as Specialized have not tested the fork to be able to handle the extra stress from the locked out position. This actually makes sense. Specialized say that the 2.0 costs £800!!!! This is to stop you buying it but they also request your frame number when ordering one, so you probably could not get one even if you wanted to take the risk

I have a 2017 model Roubaix Expert with 1.0 and I just ordered a replacement and am getting a 1.5 as 1.0 are no longer available, so all 1.0 people should now get a 1.5, which is the new version but without the lockout & the hydraulic damper. However Roadbikereview says "the new Future Shock 1.5 ....h improves upon the original Future Shock". The replacement cartridge which does not include the top springs (you got 3 when you bought the bike) costs £85 from my LBS

If you have a 1.5 from new you may be able to get a 2.0 but I cannot confirm that
Old 01-13-20, 10:44 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Agree ... the 'party line' (and apparent inconsistency given my experience) from Specialized is odd.

If the answer you received had to do with fitting a FS (any) to a non-FS Specialized frame, like your Roubaix (?), that's one thing. So I dunno!

The 'length' thing is odd, though. According to my LBS there were no compatibility issues at all, and the other thing is that I can't see how 2.0 requires more room internally to work, as reported to you. Physically, the whole cartridge surely either fits, with clearance, or it doesn't. The 'working' (action) of the shock takes place inside the cartridge, and the travel hasn't changed. Puzzled!
I don't think it's odd; they want you to buy a whole new bike to get FS2.0 instead of just buying the service part.
Old 04-02-20, 01:36 PM
bruce_bruce

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A guy on Craigslist was selling a 2018 Diverge with the 2.0 FS. I asked him how he did it and he said he used to work at Specialized. He said it fits fine but needed a sleeve (that Specialized has). As others indicated, he said it is difficult/impossible to get an FS 2.0 from your LBS. It is not a customer orderable part. I agree with others that this is because:

1. No upside for Specialized. The 2.0 FS is the biggest change on the new Roubaix (and hope/assume on the new Diverge). No reason to kill your sales but selling the 2.0 FS to customers.
2. Potential liability. While it may fit and work fine, I doubt Specialized has or would do all the testing with older bikes to guarantee there are no problems. Especially when they can just ship a 1.5 FS if yours breaks.

To the person who got a 2.0 FS, sounds like you got lucky! Everyone makes mistakes and Specialized probably just screwed up and sent the wrong one.

I ride my Diverge everywhere so wouldn't mind the 2.0 FS lockout for the road. That said, I don't really notice the 1.5 FS being much of a negative on the road. It will be interesting to see how Corona affects new 2020 bike rollout plans.
Old 04-02-20, 03:45 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
After riding that Roubaix rental I mentioned earlier in this thread, I put a Redshift Shockstop stem on my own bike and don't regret it a bit. It really feels better than nothing at all. At 65, I'm no longer going to worry about looks or being able to get every last watt out of my pedal stroke. I have nerve damage in my left hand from years of riding and now I wonder if something like this would have helped. Too late now, but at least I can ride comfortably.

I think you'll see a lot parts like this for retrofitting a standard bike. Some of the bikes these days though have so many brand specific parts that it won't be possible for them. Specialized is one of the main offenders, but I give them credit for their innovations.
Old 08-08-22, 07:40 AM
nrbq999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reviving oldish thread

Does anyone know if you can fit a future shock boot - version 1.5 or 2.0 on a 1.0? I have a Roubaix with the 1.0 future shock version which i like but hate looking at the accordion like boot.
Old 08-11-22, 07:29 PM
VegasJen

Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 533 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
Yes, it will fit, but it will void the warranty. We have tested it to fit in 1.0 frames, and it works. Good luck though getting just the 2.0 shock, Spesh has made it very difficult for dealers to order just the shock (for this very reason). They require photo evidence of damage to your shock and also require that you exchange the damaged one for a new shock. It is also a dealer only service part.

Basically, it will fit, but good luck getting one.
I am far from their target customer, but this is the kind of bull**** that drives me away from some manufacturers. If it fits, sell it to your customers. It's good business.
Old 08-11-22, 09:07 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I am far from their target customer, but this is the kind of bull**** that drives me away from some manufacturers. If it fits, sell it to your customers. It's good business.
I upgraded to a 2.0 future shock for my S Works Roubaix without an issue. I went to my local Specialized dealer and they had one in stock. Gave me the new shock and asked for the original 1.0 in return for a warranty credit (there was nothing wrong with it they were just doing me a favor). A lot of the fear porn people like to spread is just not true. Even if the shop are sticklers and make you pay for the upgrade it’s super simple. Give the service department the part number and a they can order one. Part number S194200039, don’t forget the adjustment dial part number S199900020.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-11-22, 09:34 PM
VegasJen

Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 533 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I upgraded to a 2.0 future shock for my S Works Roubaix without an issue. I went to my local Specialized dealer and they had one in stock. Gave me the new shock and asked for the original 1.0 in return for a warranty credit (there was nothing wrong with it they were just doing me a favor). A lot of the fear porn people like to spread is just not true. Even if the shop are sticklers and make you pay for the upgrade it’s super simple. Give the service department the part number and a they can order one. Part number S194200039, don’t forget the adjustment dial part number S199900020.
I don't have that model bike so I don't really have "a dog in this hunt". The point is just the customer service from Specialized. I don't appreciate when a company has a part that is a properly fitting upgrade for a previous model, but would rather try screwing their customers into spending more money to buy a whole new bike. It's not just Specialized. Many companies making a host of products try this same thing. Absolutely hate it. Nothing more that f*****g over customers for a buck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.