Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

No more helmet enforcement?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

No more helmet enforcement?

Old 01-19-22, 09:00 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I think the thing that bothers me about mandatory adult helmet laws is that they don't apply to automobile drivers.
Likes For genec:
Old 01-19-22, 09:28 AM
twistgrip
Twistgrip

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus-based E-Bike, Giant Seek 0: Torpado Nuovo Record 10 speed; GT BMX; CCM Mustang 3-speed; CCM Mustang low-rider 3-speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Our local helmet law is probably not enforced very often on it's own. The cop has another reason to invoke it. I do get the general feeling that wearing a helmet has given me a bit of leeway when a cop sees me not coming to a full STOP. Around here, riding helmet-less makes one an easy prey for a cascade of infractions. That is one reason cyclists end up wearing them, eventually: get ticketed once and you'll make sure it never happens again.

Americans do not like helmet laws, even for motorcycles, and they have the popular weight to influence politics. We have under-performing public health care looking for all possible ways to keep people out of hospitals. We also consider a turban to be a valid substitute for a motorcycle helmet because we are open-minded.
Old 01-19-22, 09:31 AM
twistgrip
Twistgrip

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus-based E-Bike, Giant Seek 0: Torpado Nuovo Record 10 speed; GT BMX; CCM Mustang 3-speed; CCM Mustang low-rider 3-speed

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Our local helmet law is probably not enforced very often on it's own. The cop has another reason to invoke it. I do get the general feeling that wearing a helmet has given me a bit of leeway when a cop sees me not coming to a full STOP. Around here, riding helmet-less makes one an easy prey for a cascade of infractions. That is one reason cyclists end up wearing them, eventually: get ticketed once and you'll make sure it never happens again.

Americans do not like helmet laws, even for motorcycles, and they have the popular weight to influence politics. We have under-performing public health care looking for all possible ways to keep people out of hospitals. We also consider a turban to be a valid substitute for a motorcycle helmet because we are open-minded.
Old 01-19-22, 10:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I don't know what grows on the chest of people who think that constant repetition of tired cliches and foolish stereotypes makes goofy statements any less ignorant, but it certainly seems as if something is missing.

Are they missing a crop of well-rested cliches and wise stereotypes?
Old 01-19-22, 10:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by rydabent
Your city must have greedy b'crats that take great joy in high priced fines so they can blow more money on what they want.

More likely the crackdowns were the result of a well-connected person having an unpleasant encounter with a cyclist. Two short crackdowns in 10 years is too sporadic to be a budgetary measure.
Old 01-19-22, 11:07 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Are they missing a crop of well-rested cliches and wise stereotypes?
Must be, or maybe with the advent of an ailment of aging have forgotten them and must keep repeating the same old hackneyed blather.
Old 01-19-22, 11:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Must be, or maybe with the advent of an ailment of aging have forgotten them and must keep repeating the same old hackneyed blather.

I really wish I didn't know young people who do this too. Alas, we appear to live in an age of hackneyed blather.

"Hackneyed Blather" is a great name for an Irish ska band, btw
Old 01-20-22, 12:11 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
I've had a lot of experience with the helmet police with riders. No cops because it's none of their business. People will side eye you without a helmet though
Old 01-20-22, 07:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I've had a lot of experience with the helmet police with riders. No cops because it's none of their business. People will side eye you without a helmet though

So? They're entitled to their opinion and you're free to take it on or ignore it. Now you're calling people "police" because you don't like their facial expressions?

An awful lot of your postings are really you saying that people shouldn't be annoyed by your riding habits. Unfortunately for you, that's not your call.
Old 01-20-22, 11:37 AM
LarrySellerz

So? They're entitled to their opinion and you're free to take it on or ignore it. Now you're calling people "police" because you don't like their facial expressions?

An awful lot of your postings are really you saying that people shouldn't be annoyed by your riding habits. Unfortunately for you, that's not your call.
They are helmet police because they told me not to ride with them unless I wore a helmet. Lots of riders don't wear helmets, pros used to not wear helmets, its a personal decision and people should respect it. I'm sick of fighting the losing battle though so now I ride with one on my bars to put on if I anticipate getting caught up in a group ride situation or a technical descent
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 01-20-22, 12:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

They are helmet police because they told me not to ride with them unless I wore a helmet. Lots of riders don't wear helmets, pros used to not wear helmets, its a personal decision and people should respect it. I'm sick of fighting the losing battle though so now I ride with one on my bars to put on if I anticipate getting caught up in a group ride situation or a technical descent

If you want to ride with someone, you need to respect the conditions under which they will allow you to, they have no obligation to humor your eccentricities and/or neglect of basic safety equipment. That doesn't make them police, they just don't want to be associated with you if you can't behave. You don't have any right to force yourself on them and you're free to go ahead with your own ride without them.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-20-22, 12:46 PM
LarrySellerz

If you want to ride with someone, you need to respect the conditions under which they will allow you to, they have no obligation to humor your eccentricities and/or neglect of basic safety equipment. That doesn't make them police, they just don't want to be associated with you if you can't behave. You don't have any right to force yourself on them and you're free to go ahead with your own ride without them.
They pressured me into wearing one so they are the helmet police
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 01-20-22, 12:51 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Sign up for Paris Brest Paris. No helmet requirement plus they serve alcohol at the stops. But, France is a long way to go for freedom.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 01-20-22, 01:07 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
If you want to proverbially die on this hill, I guess it's better than literally dying from a head injury.
Old 01-20-22, 01:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You have a very whiny concept of pressuring. "Waah, mommy, they won't play with me unless I wear my helmet! That's mean!"
Old 01-20-22, 01:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by JW Fas
If you want to proverbially die on this hill, I guess it's better than literally dying from a head injury.

At least he didn't call them the Gestapo.

It's almost like he doesn't know what police actually do.
Old 01-20-22, 01:35 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Sign up for Paris Brest Paris. No helmet requirement plus they serve alcohol at the stops. But, France is a long way to go for freedom.
Stuperbowl is closer Stupor Bowl Returns Again, and so do the Drunken Bikers - Mpls.St.Paul Magazine (mspmag.com) they wont require helmets, plus there are cars to dodge/draft/skitch
Old 01-20-22, 06:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I hear you. It happened to me once or twice. But there's no need to respond to any career A&S poster's trolling, unthoughtful remarks about being "unbehaving," "eccentric," "whiny," or "unsafe."

This thread is about helmet laws in your area. If anyone wants to make it about something else, he can start his own thread. tia.

I'm not the guy confusing not letting him join their group ride with law enforcement. He's not even talking about unsolicited comments or scolding, he's complaining because people don't want to ride with him.

You're complaining about being stopped by actual police. That's a whole different kettle of fish, and I don't think that should happen. It's basically a license for cops to hassle cyclists for no good reason. There's absolutely no equivalence between what you're talking about andLarrySellerz 's whiny complaint about "pressure".
Old 01-20-22, 06:55 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,941 Times in 1,904 Posts
Does canada require skateboarders & roller-skaters to wear a helmet if on public ground?
Old 06-21-22, 08:23 AM
amitzinman

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I was wondering, has anyone ever done a scientific study of bike helmets? Something peer reviewed with crash test dummies?
Old 06-21-22, 10:33 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 341 Posts
Originally Posted by amitzinman
I was wondering, has anyone ever done a scientific study of bike helmets? Something peer reviewed with crash test dummies?
Are you volunteering to be a dummy?
Old 06-21-22, 10:56 AM
amitzinman

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
hear hear!
Old 06-21-22, 11:06 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by amitzinman
All bike helmet models from reputable manufacturers are subjected to extensive testing by independent agencies. The agencies bestow certification on the helmet models that meet their standards. Look inside your helmet: you'll see at least one certification sticker.
Old 06-21-22, 11:13 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
A friend of mine was waiting for his cat 3 bike race to start when a cat 1 friend of his rolled up and asked if he could borrow his helmet.

My friend said, "Where's yours?"

The reply: "I rode 25 miles here. Where was I supposed to put it?"

(I knew that cat 1 rider, too. Not a mental giant.)
Old 06-21-22, 01:30 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
All bike helmet models from reputable manufacturers are subjected to extensive testing by independent agencies. The agencies bestow certification on the helmet models that meet their standards. Look inside your helmet: you'll see at least one certification sticker.
Testing exists, yes, how extensive is a matter of opinion.

Experts on the subject can correct me if necessary, but I believe that the manufacturers only need to "certify" that their helmets meet the agencies' standards before being permitted to apply the sticker to the first production. I do not know whether they are required to submit any production samples to an independent testing agency first or later or ever during production.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.