Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Trash Throwing Trash

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Trash Throwing Trash

Old 05-25-22, 08:58 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That's clearly an assault legally. It absolutely fits the statutory definition posted above.
sure but is still a simple misdemeanor and probably get handled a heck of a lot faster via school resource officer issuing a citation. A detective is not going to do anything different other than write a citation if even that.
Old 05-25-22, 10:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
sure but is still a simple misdemeanor and probably get handled a heck of a lot faster via school resource officer issuing a citation. A detective is not going to do anything different other than write a citation if even that.
The important point is that establishing the identity of the person doing the throwing requires investigation, therefore a detective is appropriate. Resource officers are not generally assigned to investigations, especially of incidents outside of the school. It's possible it could get assigned to another uniformed officer, I think departments vary on that a lot.

Obviously, this isn't a big city department, but the department may determine informing the parents that they want a detective to interview the little brat might be scary enough for the kid to knock this crap off.
Old 05-25-22, 01:37 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
This is where you have proven the troll accusation. Have a nice day.
I just added them to my very short ignore list. I don't want to waste any time on someone who isn't interested in intellectually honest discussion. Hell, you have probably come at me harder than anyone else on the forum. I don't mind one bit. You are willing to have a productive conversation.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 05-25-22 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-25-22, 01:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I just added them to my very short ignore list. I don't want to waste any time on someone who isn't interested in intellectually honest discussion. Hell, you have probably come at me harder than anyone else on the forum. I don't mind one bit. You are willing to have a productive conversation.

I absolutely feel the same way about you. We disagree a lot, but it's always respectful, and I've learned a lot from exchanges with you. I think there's been times when both of us have had to admit we were wrong about something which, to me, is really the hallmark of a reasonable discussion.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-25-22, 02:28 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
I absolutely feel the same way about you. We disagree a lot, but it's always respectful, and I've learned a lot from exchanges with you. I think there's been times when both of us have had to admit we were wrong about something which, to me, is really the hallmark of a reasonable discussion.
I disagree about us disagreeing a lot. lol

Kinda seriously. I respect your ideas, beliefs and positions to the point that I am much more likely to probe a difference with you than others.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-26-22, 07:21 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
UPDATE: The detective just called me back and said I was spot on with finding the identities of the driver and the girl who threw the trash. He has to refer them to the juvenile office for further action, but he is recommending littering and assault charges. Now we play more Hurry Up And Wait.
Old 05-26-22, 08:25 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
UPDATE: The detective just called me back and said I was spot on with finding the identities of the driver and the girl who threw the trash. He has to refer them to the juvenile office for further action, but he is recommending littering and assault charges. Now we play more Hurry Up And Wait.
Good to know there is some progress. We note the detective is only recommending charges.
Old 05-26-22, 08:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by JW Fas

If they just get charged but not convicted, that's a victory in my book. I suspect the driver may have some issues with DMV as well.
Old 05-26-22, 08:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Good to know there is some progress. We note the detective is only recommending charges.

Juvenile prosecutor makes the charging decisions, but the detective's recommendations carry a lot of weight.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-26-22, 06:22 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
JW Fas peace, brother. Don't take their bait. Foot soldiers for the car industry/culture hang out here....
I thought the post trailangel made was sarcastic
Old 06-24-22, 09:56 PM
Roll123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yep, got hit too by an empty plastic container while riding in separate bike lane.
Old 06-29-22, 07:49 AM
Ronwalker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It is very ugly, I would create a law to penalize such drivers.