Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Hurley Carve

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Hurley Carve

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-22, 06:52 PM
scottatl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Hurley Carve

Does anyone have any thoughts on this bike. I like the hybrid style, besides that, I don't know much about ebikes. The price is low, i mostly want the power to help me get up a few hills that are keeping me off the road.

They seem widely available for around 700 bucks.

https://hurleybikes.com/collections/...products/carve
Old 06-30-22, 08:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
A decent low end hybrid is around $700 non-electric. A decent(ish) kit is at least 1000 but generally 1500 and up so the numbers don't add up on this. Certainly initially cheap but less reliable long term and you will probably invest a good amount into dealing with it and replacing parts. The brakes aren't suitable for an e-bike but certainly are at least easy to find parts for. The Hurley branding probably increased the price of that bike but the quality is not increased.

Overall I wouldn't buy it but if you are going to do it realize whoever sells the bike probably isn't going to help out when it is sold to you and Hurley probably has nothing to do with that bike aside from saying sure put our name on it.

If your focus is purely on initial cost and nothing else Rad Power makes cheap stuff and they have slightly better but minimal support. They are still quite low end bikes with poor components not really suited for an e-bike but that slightly better minimal support is something that makes their lower end bikes more OKish.
Old 07-01-22, 08:40 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 587 Posts
It's decent for $700. There's a whole bunch of single speed ebikes available nowadays. Radmission, Propella, Ride1Up Roadster, the fantastic Lectric XP Lite. All great options, with actual customer service, at varying price points.
Old 07-06-22, 10:07 AM
mclewis1

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
That's a nice simple city bike setup. I'd put some fenders and a rack on it and ride it all over the place (shopping, commuting, exploring bike paths, etc.). It does have a pretty limited battery and for longer distance work I'd invest in one of the 36v bottle type batteries. You'd need to do a little DIY to wire up the second battery and have a common charger connector (although you could certainly get away with two separate chargers) but either way you'll always charge the batteries separately.

Interestingly the website says it's a steel frame. I think that's generally a positive (strong, nice ride, etc.) but I'd be interested in the total weight. Depending on local road conditions I might also upgrade the tires sooner rather than later. Something a bit wider and that can be run a bit softer which will make things easier on your hands when riding for more than an hour or two.

There's no problem with the brakes if it's ridden as a bicycle and not a moped. I might upgrade the brake pads to something softer but overall those V brakes will be fine as long as their well adjusted and the wheels are true.

Where is it generally available at $700 as it's list price appears to be $1250? Even at $1250 I think it's a reasonable deal for an urban ebike for someone who likes riding bicycles.
Old 07-10-22, 12:20 PM
scottatl

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
on ebay it is slightly under 700 and amazon slightly over.