Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

can you grease a sealed cartridge bottom bracket?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-01-21, 10:29 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts

yes, i know...they're cheap enough to replace. but, long story short, just want to see if i can salvage this old yet high quality one that i have. it doesn't feel rough, just a little dry. so, can it be done? i don't care about worthy of time, but if i can save $20-$30 why not?
Old 07-01-21, 11:10 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Exactly which bottom bracket are you asking about? The answer to your question requires this information
Old 07-02-21, 12:45 AM
oberwl

Bikes: Custom Ti Gravel Self built Force AXS 1 X 12, Allied Cycle Works All Disc Force AXS DT Swiss 1400 Spine, Santa Cruz CC XTR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ditto to last reply, Outboard Sealed BB like FSA Mexaexo or Shimano Hollowtech can be done, but the latter is more difficult. Shimano has writing saying Don't disassemble on their outboard cartridges.
If it's old school like Isis or Shimano Octalink, that's a whole different story, Probably can be done, but I have neve done it.
Likes For oberwl:
Old 07-02-21, 06:26 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Have no idea what you’re looking at but most sealed bearings can be cleaned, greased & re-sealed in a pinch (or while waiting for new ones to arrive). Carefully use a pick to pry up the seal, being careful not to bend it. Clean & regrease, then pop the seal back into place. Done often on farm equipment where rpm and loads are much higher and time is critical. I’d always prefer to replace.
Likes For veloz:
Old 07-02-21, 08:50 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by oberwl
Ditto to last reply, Outboard Sealed BB like FSA Mexaexo or Shimano Hollowtech can be done, but the latter is more difficult. Shimano has writing saying Don't disassemble on their outboard cartridges.
If it's old school like Isis or Shimano Octalink, that's a whole different story, Probably can be done, but I have neve done it.
That's just normal for Shimano, they'd rather have you buy a new one instead of service the existing one. I've personally removed and replaced bearings in tons of Shimano outboard bb units. Enduro makes a tool for doing just that. Pop the seals off and clean/grease...it can't hurt.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-02-21, 08:57 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Plastic seals are easily removed and usually replaceable after cleaning and lubing the bearing. Metal seals are removable but
not nondestructively so replacing is difficult, main option is to remove bearing from BB remove one seal clean and grease and
reinstall bearing with intact seal to exterior. I resurrected a couple of Phil Wood BB that froze up when the grease turned to
wax over a 25 yr storage by popping out the seals and regreasing.
Likes For sch:
Old 07-02-21, 09:38 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
So the answer is that as long as you can get access to the cartridge seals you can flush and relube. But many cartridge bearinged BBs have that access somewhat blocked by the unit's construction.

My suggestion is to have the replacement on hand before trying to service the old BB, just in case... Andy
Old 07-02-21, 05:01 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Exactly which bottom bracket are you asking about? The answer to your question requires this information
i don't know the model as the number has been destroyed by time. it's a shimano cartridge from the mid 90's. it looks like it could be a UN55 or something similar
Old 07-02-21, 10:24 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
I believe RJ the Bike Guy has a youtube video on how to take apart and re-grease a '90s-era Shimano cartridge BB. At least one of the parts is reverse thread, IIRC.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 07-02-21, 10:40 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by madpogue
I believe RJ the Bike Guy has a youtube video on how to take apart and re-grease a '90s-era Shimano cartridge BB. At least one of the parts is reverse thread, IIRC.
the drive side threads are reverse. i'll look that up on youtube. i've seen a lot of his videos. thanks!!
Old 07-02-21, 11:00 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
the drive side threads are reverse. i'll look that up on youtube. i've seen a lot of his videos. thanks!!
I wasn't referring to mounting in the shell. I was referring to the threads on some of the internal parts of the cartridge. You'll see it when you find the video.
Old 07-03-21, 12:35 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

madpogue i found the video. i see what you mean about reverse thread...that is the lock nut for the cone

Old 07-03-21, 02:30 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by madpogue
I wasn't referring to mounting in the shell. I was referring to the threads on some of the internal parts of the cartridge. You'll see it when you find the video.
ha! i did't see you posted this until after i made the video post. anyway, problem solved
Old 07-03-21, 07:08 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Park made a tool (BBT-8) for the lock and adjusting nut/cone for the earliest cartridge BBs (at the lower price points) they made. The tool is fairly uncommon and Shimano soon moved on from that BB design. I have one but no image to show. When I search for BBT-8 all I got were hits for more the modern BBT-18. Andy
Old 07-03-21, 12:00 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
The BB-UN55 and some similar Shimano models are put together in such a way that there is no adjusting of the preload. All the magic is in the geometry of the bearing-contacting surfaces of the spindle and of the main body.

Someone has gone there and shared the story: Repacking a Shimano BB-UN55.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 07-03-21, 12:14 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Park made a tool (BBT-8) for the lock and adjusting nut/cone for the earliest cartridge BBs (at the lower price points) they made. The tool is fairly uncommon and Shimano soon moved on from that BB design. I have one but no image to show. When I search for BBT-8 all I got were hits for more the modern BBT-18. Andy
Are you thinking of the BBT-6?

Park Tool BBT-6
Old 07-03-21, 12:27 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by John Valuk
Are you thinking of the BBT-6?

Park Tool BBT-6
Yes that's it. My basement is dark. I've used mine a few times quite a number of years ago. It's been a while since and I really had to look in the corners of my tool boards to find it this morning. Andy
Old 07-03-21, 09:04 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Yes that's it. My basement is dark. I've used mine a few times quite a number of years ago. It's been a while since and I really had to look in the corners of my tool boards to find it this morning. Andy
is there any chance in hades i could talk you into a picture or few of this tool? i can tell much by the drawn diagram in the shimano service link. i'm curious to make a tool, if possible. but, no big deal if you're not interested or just not possible. i don't have a camera or phone with which to do pictures myself. so, i'd understand whatever your case or inclination would be on it
Old 07-03-21, 09:05 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by John Valuk
The BB-UN55 and some similar Shimano models are put together in such a way that there is no adjusting of the preload. All the magic is in the geometry of the bearing-contacting surfaces of the spindle and of the main body.

Someone has gone there and shared the story: Repacking a Shimano BB-UN55.
i really don't think mine's a un55 as the lock nut is metal and not plastic
Old 07-04-21, 06:47 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by thook
is there any chance in hades i could talk you into a picture or few of this tool? i can tell much by the drawn diagram in the shimano service link. i'm curious to make a tool, if possible. but, no big deal if you're not interested or just not possible. i don't have a camera or phone with which to do pictures myself. so, i'd understand whatever your case or inclination would be on it
Sure but it will have to wait till after riding today, Andy
Old 07-04-21, 04:00 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Sure but it will have to wait till after riding today, Andy
cool. no hurry, though. just at your convenience
Old 07-04-21, 06:05 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Here's the tool. It will prove to be hard to dup as the sockets are so close to the same size and need to nestle with each other. Andy

Old 07-04-21, 07:16 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I serviced one of these, a number of years ago, on a cheap Gary Fisher mountain bike. There is a way of adjusting a cup 'n' cone bearing if you don't have the proper tools, that is a pain in the neck but can be done if you're patient, where you turn the cone in tiny incremental steps by pushing it with something, then tightening the locknut, and seeing if it feels right. Again, I wouldn't do it this way if I had access to the tools, but I would also not buy a tool set that cost more than a new modern BB.

It has lasted many years after that overhaul, though dedicated to winter service.

About the locknut, I would prefer plastic over aluminum, if threading into an aluminum shell, due to the likelihood of galling.
Old 07-04-21, 11:23 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Here's the tool. It will prove to be hard to dup as the sockets are so close to the same size and need to nestle with each other. Andy

yeah, i see what you mean. not worth the trouble i suppose. thanks for sharing pics, anyway.