Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sekine world's finest bicycle?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sekine world's finest bicycle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-21, 02:01 AM
Sekine1974

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Last of the 3

I think my full Chrome Sekine might be the only one left in the world that is mostly original. As far as I know there were only 3 known to exist (factory Chrome finished frame and fork). Mine is 100% OG except for the Wrights Saddle and the bar tape. 😊👍
Likes For Sekine1974:
Old 08-21-21, 06:19 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
What's up with the middle picture?... Real? If so, story?
Old 09-08-22, 08:29 PM
CanCruiser

Bikes: Univega Alpina 570- Sekine SHB 271

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Hi folks,
Just to keep the Sekine thread alive, I just picked up a Sekine time capsule today in lovely forest green. It is made in Japan, I believe before Canadian models started rolling out. It has been stored indoors for many years until I picked it today. I will post some photos shortly, but I have a quick question and I appreciate your replies.

Both tires are perished, so new tires (and tubes!) are in order. The manual says tire size is 27"x1-18" but just to keep with the vintage and looks of the bike, I would like to get a pair of Kena gumwall tires but the size I found is 27"x1-1/4. Do you think 27"x1-1/4" will fit without issues?

EDIT: Just found the serial number: Z11030 and a bike license for 1971/1972 which dates the bike to 1971 most likely..

Many thanks in advance and stay tuned for photos very soon (after I complete 10 posts according to the forum rules ...)

Last edited by CanCruiser; 09-08-22 at 09:54 PM.
Likes For CanCruiser:
Old 09-10-22, 04:59 PM
CanCruiser

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Here are some photos for my latest acquisition.. Presumably 1971 model, Made in Japan and I am guessing the model is SHB-271 or (270??).
Note the old school dynamo and light (still works). Very cool. I ordered a set of gumwall Kenda tires and new handlebar tape. I also need new brake shoes to fit the existing calipers (center pull) but I would like something better than the current old-style ones. Any recommendations?

The GS emblem with the rhinestone

Very cool dynamo and light. Still works!

Made in Japan

Shimano Lark rear derailleur

Front derailleur (not sure what model/brand)

Sold by Bow Cycle in Calgary, AB. They're still in business today

Bike license from 1971/1972

Serial Number Z11030

Seat is perfect condition

Last edited by CanCruiser; 09-11-22 at 10:35 AM.
Likes For CanCruiser:
Old 09-26-22, 09:59 AM
CanCruiser

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Here it is folks!

Follow up to my latest post. I just finished servicing and tuning the bike. This included:
- New 27x1-1/4" tires with new tubes and tube guards
- New Kool Stop Continental brake pads
- New handlebar tape
- New safety reflectors (wheels and rear)
- Repacked the front and rear wheel bearings
- Straightened out a bent rear wheel axle
- Truing wheels
- General lube and service
- Polished the chrome and aluminum (AutoSol)

Took it for a shakedown ride yesterday, runs and rides like a dream..!!
Makes a nice compliment to my Univega Alpina 507 mountain bike..

Last edited by CanCruiser; 09-27-22 at 12:35 PM.
Likes For CanCruiser:
Old 04-01-23, 12:34 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Just picked up this Sekine. It has some sort of chrome moly double butted tubing. The wheels have steel rims though. The drop outs are nice and thick with an integral hanger but no adjustment screw. The parts mix isn't bad (nice suntour derailleurs, dia compe center pull brakes, sansin hubs). The paint job is in pretty good shape but Sekines tend to have good paint jobs.

This will be my year's entry into the sub $100 klunker challenge as I paid $20 and it has decent tires. This will be a fun project. The bike is a bit of a boat anchor at 27.5 pounds but I'll bet I can get it down to a svelte 26 lbs. by dumping the steel chain guard, the ugly heavy saddle, and swapping out the steel rim wheels for alloy.

I'm uncertain of the model. It looks to be a step down from a SHS 271 a picked up and rehabbed a few years back. That bike had nicer wheels and drop outs but otherwise was more or less the same as this bike I think. My bike might be a 1973 Sekine SHR based on what I've read on this thread. This is very similar to the bike in post 502 above.

Serial no. is W106976

Last edited by bikemig; 04-02-23 at 06:10 AM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-12-23, 04:53 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
SekineSHR on the road again

I just finished rebuilding my SekineSHR and took it on a 24 mile ride on the bike trail near my house. The bike came to me with all its original equipment and I changed remarkably little. I'm still using tape the bike came with. I even used the tires the bike came with as they were in decent shape and were obviously replacements. The only things I changed were the cables, the housing, and the saddle (the old one was trash and I couldn't resist a saddle with green etching that I had in my parts bin).

I took it on a 24 mile ride on the local bike path. The bike handled great and the parts mix is very solid. The steel rim wheels is a bit of a head scratcher on a bike of this quality (double butted chrome moly main tubes) but that's what it came with and that's what I'm riding.

Central IA trail info and trailhead

View from Saylorville Lake

The bridge at the end of the ride

Last edited by bikemig; 05-16-23 at 07:40 AM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-24-23, 12:23 PM
flipchip
Chipper

Bikes: Commencal Stewart, Lemond Buenos Airies

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
This is my new $100 sekine and I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it. It appears to be an SHX due to the fully chromed frame, but its red, and the bike doesn't seem to have ever had any decals, aside from a small gold one saying "SEKINE CANADA" near the bottom of the seat tube. The serial is Y9 3800, which means it's a 1974 Japanese frame from what I understand.

The cranks, stem, bars, wheels (araya HP 27 inch alu rims with chair hubs), brakes (tourney side pulls), brake levers (diacompe), and pedals (KKT Pro Vic II) all appear to be original to the bike, as they are the same vintage. The dropouts are shimano, but the seat post is steel, which seems strange for a frame of this quality.

Last edited by flipchip; 07-24-23 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-24-23, 09:37 PM
Texpe

Bikes: 65 Frejus Tour de France 68 Frejus corsa 72 Legnano 75 Frejus Professional 74 Paramount 74 Super Mondia Special 77 Raleigh Grand Prix 83 Vicini 87 Nishki International 74 campania pro 71 schwinn sports tourer 75 Romic 100 81 Miyata 900 74 Miyata Eddy

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Sekine conversion

I made a 7 speed gravel bike out of a sekine
Likes For Texpe:
Old 08-01-23, 07:28 AM
buckpatriot

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The worlds finest bicycle made by sekine serial number w 66436

I am trying to determine my old bikes value and year and model type, what i see is : The worlds finest bicycle made by sekine serial number w 66436, also has a seat with a hole in the middle. can anyone shed light on this for me?
Old 08-09-23, 09:03 AM
Pavlov55

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. New to this forum. Jumping in here cause I don't know how else to start. Trying to figure out the model of a Sekine I have an opportunity to buy. Serial #: W 76706. I believe it was built in Japan in July of 1972. Does have the "world's finest..." on the downtube. Bike was converted to a single speed - don't think any of the components are original. Does have chrome tipped forks and a cromoly sticker. How do I determine which model (SHT, SHS, etc.) the bike is. If you can steer me toward the answers I don't mind do the research.

Thanks. Pavlov55