Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campania “Professional” freebie

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Campania “Professional” freebie

Old 05-31-20, 05:24 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Campania was a USA marketing brand owned by McIver. The frames and components were manufactured in Japan but the bicycles were assembled by McIver in California. The brand survived into at least 1976 This one appears to typical of a higher end, mass produced, Japanese frame. The source may be Kuwahara. The serial number may provide further insight on the exact year and identity of the frame manufacturer. Even if the OP isn't curious, I'd appreciate the serial number for my database. TIA.
Since you wanted the serial number for your database I thought I'd pass this along. This is a big frame that was used to sweeten the deal on a $40 Nishiki I bought from a storage shed sale. It looked like a low end bike but since it was basically free I'm investing in a fork and I'll rebuild some old steel rims and clean out some low end parts to get it back on the road. Any remarks would be welcome.

Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 05-31-20, 06:28 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
There was a classmate on mine in junior high that lived on the next block.
His older brother had a Raleigh International, and I would lay in wait in the morning and let him block the wind for me, he always tried to drop me, but I knew how to draft.
Then about a half block from school I would take a shot and drop him, me on my proto BMX stingray.
( little did he realize that I was riding 250 miles per week)
His brother, my age had a Campania purchased for him, and was convinced it was a Campagnolo brand bike...
Marketing. Blame marketing and salesmanship.
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-09-20, 05:01 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
I decided this bike was not too happy as a utility porteur, so I swapped to drop bars. It’s clearly still in progress, but a quick ride up the street tells me this will be a fun rider once it’s done...

Likes For noobinsf:
Old 09-21-20, 01:22 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Here are some finished pics with the drop bars:

- Dajia shallow drop bars from Velo Orange 42cm
- ARX stem 95mm
- faux leather perforated tape from Public Bikes (better than I expected, bought at deep discount)
- Suntour barcons
- Shimano RX-100 aero levers

Felt great on the first real ride. I had complained about the frame feeling noodly, and sure enough, putting my weight farther forward solved it. Very nice frame, nimble, fast, and stable.

Likes For noobinsf:
Old 11-19-20, 06:59 PM
Texpe

Bikes: 65 Frejus Tour de France 68 Frejus corsa 72 Legnano Frankenstien 75 Frejus Professional 74 Paramount 74 Super Mondia Special 77 Raleigh Grand Prix 77 Sekine Gravel 83 Vicini 87 Nishki International 74 campania pro 71 schwinn sports tourer 75 romic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I owned a campania professional for 2 weeks

I bought a Campania professional in may 1972 because at $190 it was less than half of my best friends super Mondia special or the upgrade cost from my 1970 schwinn super sport to a paramount. It weight in at two pounds more than the mondia and a pound over the paramount. It was stolen from my neighbors house while I was inside for a few minutes.

today, I own the paramount and the mondia and I just bought a campania professional. It looks as I remember itexcept the saddle and replacement campagnolo record hubs and rims. The original had sunshine hubs and arraya rims.
Old 11-19-20, 07:13 PM
noobinsf 

Originally Posted by Texpe
I bought a Campania professional in may 1972 because at $190 it was less than half of my best friends super Mondia special or the upgrade cost from my 1970 schwinn super sport to a paramount. It weight in at two pounds more than the mondia and a pound over the paramount. It was stolen from my neighbors house while I was inside for a few minutes.

today, I own the paramount and the mondia and I just bought a campania professional. It looks as I remember itexcept the saddle and replacement campagnolo record hubs and rims. The original had sunshine hubs and arraya rims.
I would love to see pics of the Campania when you get around to it. Thanks for sharing this story!
Old 11-20-20, 09:21 AM
Texpe

Bikes: 65 Frejus Tour de France 68 Frejus corsa 72 Legnano Frankenstien 75 Frejus Professional 74 Paramount 74 Super Mondia Special 77 Raleigh Grand Prix 77 Sekine Gravel 83 Vicini 87 Nishki International 74 campania pro 71 schwinn sports tourer 75 romic

Campania

I am going to repaint back to the black mine had. I’m also going to get original wheel sets and use the campy on another rebuild. It maybe a month or two for a completed. I’m halfway through a Legnano rebuild now and 90% on a Frejus.
Old 11-20-20, 09:50 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
I am going to repaint back to the black mine had. I’m also going to get original wheel sets and use the campy on another rebuild. It maybe a month or two for a completed. I’m halfway through a Legnano rebuild now and 90% on a Frejus.
Looking forward to the future threads on your classics.
Old 01-04-21, 12:23 PM
noobinsf 

Originally Posted by noobinsf
Quick update on the Campania for reference. Here is the stamp on the fork steerer tube, marked “4E,” with what looks like an “O” and a tiny “s”.

Many thanks to tiger1964 for confirming that the 1974 Fuji Newest he is selling has the same Ishiwata fork, which supports the Fuji connection. See post #18 of the sales thread here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ji-newest.html
Old 01-04-21, 12:48 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Maybe you can educate this guy...
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik...256809754.html

Vintage. Italian - $550 (san jose north)

image 1 of 8

(May not help, I see he has a French made Frejus also)

Last edited by curbtender; 01-04-21 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-25-21, 08:02 PM
Texpe

Welll, I’m not gonna paint it black after all

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Looking forward to the future threads on your classics.
the reason, the bike is 100% polished chrome

its beautiful! I did all the measurements and the tube set weight and dimensions match ISHIWATA 022 The frame weighs in at 2270 gm remove weight of chrome and use of the heavier yuko drop outs right at the 2200 grams in the 022 model the measurements get .9mm thickness on the seat tube. I should dismantle my chrome paramount from the same era and weight that frame. the fork weighs 685 grams.

the weird thing is for a 1972 bike, it has a 125 rear spread as if it was ready for the 6 speed freewheel I don’t remember if it was a 12 speed as I paid a few bucks extra to put on the suntour gt wide range rear derailed and at least a 14 32 rear set of gears since I lived in the mountains

only thing is my campania’s sr royal seat post is not fluted

itll be a couple of months be for it’s ready, I’m on the teadious part of getting all the paint off in the tight spots using steel wool
Old 01-25-21, 11:25 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
the reason, the bike is 100% polished chrome

iI’m on the teadious part of getting all the paint off in the tight spots using steel wool
Do NOT use steelwool on chrome plating! Once you scratch that you cannot go back or "buff it out".
Old 02-13-21, 05:30 PM
Texpe

Steel wool is exactly how you polish chrome

The same with stainless steel items
Old 04-30-21, 07:16 PM
Texpe

Here is my campania profressional, all the paint removed, I was disappointed, it weighs in at 25.8 pounds.
Likes For Texpe:
Old 02-05-22, 11:28 AM
jtyr71 

Bikes: ROAD: 1972 Nishiki Professional, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, 1974 Kabuki Diamond Tourer, 1978 Kabuki DT, 1981 Kabuki DFD CP, 1988 Cannondale SR2000, 1993 Bridgestone RB-1/8

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Many thanks to tiger1964 for confirming that the 1974 Fuji Newest he is selling has the same Ishiwata fork, which supports the Fuji connection. See post #18 of the sales thread here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ji-newest.html
So I am about to be the new owner of noobinsf's thread starting frame. I'd like to mostly bring it back to original spec (except for downtube shifters instead of barcons) and put it in rotation as one of my regular road/gravel riders (at to my current stable: 1972 Nishiki Professional, 1978 Bridgestone Kabuki DT, 1981 Kabuki DFD CP, and a 1993 Bridgestone RB-1/8). I think with its long top tube it will be more of a flat roadie like my RB-1.

It's a really interesting combo of bike traditions: early 70s top-of-the-line Japanese steel with lots of chrome point, a very explicit reference (and, yes silly) to the Italian bikes that often inspired the Japanese, and then with McIver in Van Nuys assembling, adding their own branded headset, Phil Wood bottom bracket and hubs, there's this early California influene-- WOW there's a lot of great ingredients.

So here is a summary of the known/likely specs for a 1974 Campania Professional:
  • KKT Kyokuto Pro Ace pedals
  • SR Royal Crankset Factory Drilled RY-5ESL? Royal-5 Extra Super Light Factory Drilled
  • SR Royal ESL? Seat Post-- Milled & Fluted with Crest
  • SR Sakae Royal ESL Stem, Super Duralumin-- Milled and Drilled?
  • Phil Wood bottom bracket Phil hubs + tubular rims
  • Suntour Compe-V front
  • Suntour V(GT?)-Luxe
  • Gran Compe Side Pull Brakes
  • Suntour Barcons
  • SR rando handlebars (Road or World Champion? are likely suspects)
noobsinsf if you could confirm or elaborate on any of the above, I'd be super appreciative. Also specifically, did you keep the Phil bottom bracket or replace it? And have I assumed correctly that when you got the bike the handlebars and wheel set were already gone?

Also Texpe, with a Cyclone derailleur yours has to be a 1976 or later model but none-the-less, how do the 1974 specs compare to what you know of the original componentry of your bike?

Last edited by jtyr71; 02-05-22 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-05-22, 09:50 PM
noobinsf 

Originally Posted by jtyr71
So I am about to be the new owner of noobinsf's thread starting frame. I'd like to mostly bring it back to original spec (except for downtube shifters instead of barcons) and put it in rotation as one of my regular road/gravel riders (at to my current stable: 1972 Nishiki Professional, 1978 Bridgestone Kabuki DT, 1981 Kabuki DFD CP, and a 1993 Bridgestone RB-1/8). I think with its long top tube it will be more of a flat roadie like my RB-1.

It's a really interesting combo of bike traditions: early 70s top-of-the-line Japanese steel with lots of chrome point, a very explicit reference (and, yes silly) to the Italian bikes that often inspired the Japanese, and then with McIver in Van Nuys assembling, adding their own branded headset, Phil Wood bottom bracket and hubs, there's this early California influene-- WOW there's a lot of great ingredients.

So here is a summary of the known/likely specs for a 1974 Campania Professional:
  • KKT Kyokuto Pro Ace pedals
  • SR Royal Crankset Factory Drilled RY-5ESL? Royal-5 Extra Super Light Factory Drilled
  • SR Royal ESL? Seat Post-- Milled & Fluted with Crest
  • SR Sakae Royal ESL Stem, Super Duralumin-- Milled and Drilled?
  • Phil Wood bottom bracket Phil hubs + tubular rims
  • Suntour Compe-V front
  • Suntour V(GT?)-Luxe
  • Gran Compe Side Pull Brakes
  • Suntour Barcons
  • SR rando handlebars (Road or World Champion? are likely suspects)
noobsinsf if you could confirm or elaborate on any of the above, I'd be super appreciative. Also specifically, did you keep the Phil bottom bracket or replace it? And have I assumed correctly that when you got the bike the handlebars and wheel set were already gone?

Also Texpe, with a Cyclone derailleur yours has to be a 1976 or later model but none-the-less, how do the 1974 specs compare to what you know of the original componentry of your bike?
You have another Campania Professional, or you are taking possession of the one I sold last year? As far as I know, I can confirm most of the above. I received it with the seat post, crankset, pedals, and bottom bracket, all of which match what you have listed. The rest — your guess is as good as mine, but I think you’re probably right. You should start a new thread to document your build. Let’s see your new bike!
Old 02-06-22, 12:17 PM
jtyr71 

Bikes: ROAD: 1972 Nishiki Professional, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, 1974 Kabuki Diamond Tourer, 1978 Kabuki DT, 1981 Kabuki DFD CP, 1988 Cannondale SR2000, 1993 Bridgestone RB-1/8

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Based on frame features and right down to the paint chips, I'm pretty sure it's your original frame: https://www.ebay.com/itm/114987272753

Do you have any more specifics about the brakes? In your original find photos they look like side pulls, did I see that right?

I suppose I should start a new build thread, but this is _the_ one motherlode thread & webpage on the entire interwebs for Campania, so I'm tempted to keep adding to it, more especially since it is the same frame.
Old 02-06-22, 02:23 PM
noobinsf 

Yes, they were sidepulls, but I can’t confirm which — I donated them a long time ago and don’t remember what they were. I wish I could answer more questions, but everything I know about this frame or Campania in general is all documented in the thread above.
Old 02-06-22, 03:30 PM
jtyr71 

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks noobinsf-- it's a big plus to me that this frame has bikeforums documentation-- thanks for all that you've put in so far!

One last question though, do you think I'm likely to find the original bottom bracket with the bike? Do you remember replacing it?
Old 02-06-22, 03:41 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Interesting find, love the tubing decal. Remember seeing one Campania back in the 70’s here in Pensacola, Fl. Most likely a Navy or USMC aviation type, back for instructor duty, or report for AI to begin pre-flight school.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-06-22, 03:48 PM
noobinsf 

Thanks noobinsf-- it's a big plus to me that this frame has bikeforums documentation-- thanks for all that you've put in so far!

One last question though, do you think I'm likely to find the original bottom bracket with the bike? Do you remember replacing it?
Ha, well, I kept that, so I’m 100% sure you won’t find it with the bike. It’s going into my Eisentraut.

The person from whom you’re buying it received it from me as a bare frame/fork/headset.

Last edited by noobinsf; 02-06-22 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-06-22, 06:58 PM
Cycle Tourist

Not a Professional

Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
Since you wanted the serial number for your database I thought I'd pass this along. This is a big frame that was used to sweeten the deal on a $40 Nishiki I bought from a storage shed sale. It looked like a low end bike but since it was basically free I'm investing in a fork and I'll rebuild some old steel rims and clean out some low end parts to get it back on the road. Any remarks would be welcome.

This was a freebie frame that I finished off with odd bits and pieces.
Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 02-06-22, 09:33 PM
jtyr71 

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Look like a sweet steel setup, Cycle Tourist! How's it ride?
Old 02-14-22, 09:48 AM
Cycle Tourist

Look like a sweet steel setup, Cycle Tourist! How's it ride?
Not bad. A lot better than I expected. It sold almost immediately though so other than a shakedown cruise I didn't ride it long.
Old 02-14-22, 12:32 PM
Texpe

My polished with 000 steel wool Campania

Also Texpe, with a Cyclone derailleur yours has to be a 1976 or later model but none-the-less, how do the 1974 specs compare to what you know of the original componentry of your bike?[/QUOTE]

Has a comp V not a Cyclone, I highlighted with paint the casted in names and such on all the parts. All the SR parts from the factory had this, so I just did it on the derailer too.

I made the decals with the wifes CRICUT