Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Spoke protection , on what bike will looks better?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Spoke protection , on what bike will looks better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-22, 01:45 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
I think the only logical conclusion is that you'll have to build a whole new bike with the Cambio Corsa to go with that spoke protector.

Although, it appears as if the Cambio Corsa spoke protectors have a single spoke design, and yours has a twin spoke design. But you may be able to muddle through.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-26-22, 07:17 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
I'm not a dork disk expert by any means, but in the powers not invested in me by anyone, I've long ago crowned the Sekine dork disk the unofficial holy grail of dork disks! I have a Sekine in waiting, and I'm hoping and praying I come across one of these.
Send me a PM with your address, if you feel comfortable doing so. I might know where a few are but cannot check it out until the snow goes. If not where I expect, I do run across them from time to time. If one comes my way, and I know where to send it, you will get a surprise in the mail one day. I got a lovely surprise just yesterday from a fellow forum member (thanks BG)

Old 03-26-22, 07:37 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 267 Posts
Another vote for Chiorda with a recommendation you source a pair of excellent REG toe clips with some pedals and straps in your favorite color. Don
Old 03-27-22, 01:11 AM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
As someone that generally takes good care of my bikes and tries to stay on top of the adjustments there's always that one time.... In my case it cost me all of the drive side spokes. That was back around 15 or 18 years ago. When the wheel was re-laced it got a dork disc. And so did all the rest of the fleet other than the single speed where it darn well better never throw the chain.

So ya, I'm with uncle uncle on this. And I fly my dork discs with embarrassed pride.... but avoiding another whole side spoke blowout is worth it.
Likes For BCRider:
Old 03-27-22, 02:00 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Proper Location For Spoke Protectors and Safety Levers

They were manifestations of entry level gas pipe bike boom fad bikes. Neither worked as intended. Supposed safety devices to protect kids from themselves.

Neither were necessary when a bike was minimally set up to work properly! Something that didn't occur at many businesses that sold bikes!!!

Perhaps a better solution for people who needed such things:

Update - no spokes at all!

During a period of unrivaled litigation - from the post US CPSC era - early 80's, when was the last time that you saw a new bike with a dork disk???

They DON'T keep the chain from coming off to the inside of the sprockets with a poorly adjusted rear derailleur so what good are they?

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 03-27-22 at 02:30 AM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 03-27-22, 02:02 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 899 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Another vote for Chiorda with a recommendation you source a pair of excellent REG toe clips with some pedals and straps in your favorite color. Don
Nice looking clips and straps! However, the toe-strap buckle should come up from the outside of the pedal, not the inside:

Toe-strap threading on Record pedals
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 03-27-22, 04:14 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 267 Posts
Doh!
Old 03-27-22, 09:04 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
The one with the smallest freewheel

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-27-22, 09:56 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
Counterpoint... I'm a dork, aka an engineer, so I don't take offense when someone attributes these engineering marvels to me (and those like me). Even a properly adjusted derailleur can fail, and come out of adjustment, or just assplode on you. As an engineer, I like to design with a "belts AND suspenders philosophy" when I can, aka, having not only a Plan A, but also a Plan B. The dork disk is a compelling Plan B. Plus plus... for some weird psychological reason, they aggravate that same crowd that likes to tout the "Rules" to me, and I like to think it stings just a little more when someone with a dork disked bicycle passes them. Plus plus plus... the added weight is inconsequential compared to the 10+ pounds of human flubber and bologna burden I subject my bicycles to on every outing. Plus plus plus plus... it's star shaped.
In truth, I have a clear plastic spoke protector on my commuting bike- I do see the virtue in a little plastic to prevent a possibly catastrophic chain mis-shift. Choosing to have such a disc does not make one a “dork”.
However, I think that a majority of C&V riders would still opt for “Neither”. It is a point of pride that their machines would be precisely adjusted to never mis-shift. I do think that more thoughtfully designed or decorated discs deserve to be installed. I am thinking specifically of the Sekine discs that are perforated with the brand name. Also, if one has different sets of wheels, there is more opportunity for variation on the exact position of the inner cog with respect to the spokes. A perfectly adjusted derailleur with one set of wheels might not be so perfect on another wheel. This situation might have been more pronounced in the Freewheel era, rather than with cassette/ freehub situations. I know that in my experience, I had a rear wheel with a more “mountain” or touring cluster and another for the fast ride/ narrow range cluster. Despite my efforts, the derailleur needed a little adjusting to optimize the performance. Though, I used a long arm derailleur, the additional chain length on the tighter cluster allowed for more possibility for the chain to jump into the spokes. Besides, the tooth design of pre-HG influenced rear cogs was much less crisp and precise feeling.
It might be a tad more usual with this crowd to have a couple of dedicated bikes for a specific riding style or purpose, rather than a different set of wheels for a single bicycle. Therefore, the disc becomes more superfluous with more “dialed in” drive trains. In my case, I tend to remove the disc as an outward proclamation of just how perfectly, my drive train is adjusted….

Last edited by elcraft; 03-27-22 at 10:00 AM.
Likes For elcraft:
Old 03-27-22, 11:00 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts
I say put that spoke protector on both bikes. It is beautiful, adds minimal weight, and serves a useful purpose. At the Bike exchange we have hundreds of wheels hanging up waiting to be used on a bike. So many times, when I check out the spokes on a wheel without a spoke protector, I find multiple spokes on the drive side nicked by a chain. If you don't like aluminum or chrome there are lots of clear plastic versions available for both freewheels and cassettes. Our local bike shop provides us with lots of the plastic ones as they refuse to put them on the uber expensive bikes they sell.
Old 03-27-22, 01:55 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 541 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg

During a period of unrivaled litigation - from the post US CPSC era - early 80's, when was the last time that you saw a new bike with a dork disk?

verktyg
My 2005 Specialized Allez had one. A couple of the tabs were broken off so it was flopping around and consequently useless.

Personally, if something serves a purpose, go for it! There are many that think Brooks saddles are dumb. To each their own, live and let live, you be you, etc.
Old 03-27-22, 02:02 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
I think I have a Suntour aluminum one on one bike. I like the look.

I wish I would've had one on my M1000- would've saved me a bunch of time, effort and money.

I wouldn't want a chromed steel one- just because I know the difference in weight between a chromed steel one and an aluminum one.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 04-02-22, 03:27 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by rancho66
When I restore a bike, I always try to copy the specific year catalog photo. If the picture shows a spoke protector and I have one than I install it on the restoration. The buyer or future owner can uninstall or leave it. I even install the correct reflectors if shown in the catalog. Crazy to some I know, but easy to uninstall. My choice would be the Chiorda. The protector matches the crank.
yea that's why i was asking. i saw very often in the condorino's type but very rare on road bikes.
a friend just spotted that dork disk on my drawer were most useless parts are and he told me i should use it.
I've done a little search on internet and is pretty interesting that the price for that thinghy is 31-35€! at this point after the price i was wondering "if can be something extra or special to add on my bike".
ps. i'am a dork disk hater too but this chrome one i want to admit seems quite nice even if is useless
Old 04-02-22, 03:30 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
I’m also with the Chiorda.Chrome fenders need a chrome spoke protector.
But I want to know the spoke pattern on the Tomassini. That’s interesting
:O i never noticed that!!!!!
I'll took some photos as soon as possible
Old 04-02-22, 08:38 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny
I say put that spoke protector on both bikes.
Yeah, it should be pretty easy to remove the freewheel and move the spoke protector over to the other bike every time you want to ride that one. You can never be too careful, even if your rear derailleur is setup properly and you know how to shift. That's why I always wear a condom on my rides as well.
Old 04-02-22, 09:24 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
I’m also with the Chiorda.Chrome fenders need a chrome spoke protector.
But I want to know the spoke pattern on the Tomassini. That’s interesting
I have heard that called “crow’s foot” pattern.
Old 04-02-22, 11:43 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 218 Posts
Thought it was a Crow’s Foot. Crow’s Foot on Crow Seph’s bike. Now that is real attention to getting all of the details correct. Well done!