Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

FedX sent me a bill for a duty

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

FedX sent me a bill for a duty

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-22, 02:19 PM
Jheitt

Bikes: 1950 Raleigh Clubman, Moose Porter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I was in the mail. I might have gotten other bills from them earlier but newer opened the envelope thinking it was junk mail.
This is pretty common for me in Canada. Nearly anything I buy that is new from out of country is followed by a duty/brokerage bill some time after. I'm not sure how much your initial purchase was but anytime you buy anything out of country and it is shipped through a courier at their most basic rate I'd expect this to happen.
Old 05-18-22, 02:34 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
So, let's combine all this into a (text) flow chart.

1. Pull up your original order and shipping emails. Compare the shipper information and tracking label to the bill you got. If they don't match, it's probably a scam.

2. Reasonableness test: how much was the total order? Import duties seem to range from 10-20% from other sources on bikes and parts. Was the total order $750-1500? (Next I'll try to guess what you bought that only weigh 6 pounds. Oh, another flashing light: why did FedEx supposedly give you the English unit weight instead of rest-of-the-world mass in kg?)

3. If tracking labels match and the order looks reasonable, find out of channel contact information for FedEx and call or contact them to verify this is a legitimate charge.

I'd assess it as not a slam-dunk scam, but I'd guess the odds are 2:1 to 3:1 against it being legitimate. Note I'm not a professional importer or bookmaker.
Old 05-18-22, 08:42 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,938 Times in 1,763 Posts
I've had this once from Fedex too when the ordered item exceeded the $800 limit. If I remember correctly there was the bill and also the actual duty form. What got my goat is that FEDEX did not contact me for payment before delivery. They paid on my behalf and then charged me a fee for the service. At no time did I give them permission to act on my behalf and then charge me for it. Not did I pick them as the shipper, that decision was made by the Vendor. There is a place to pull up this billing at the FEDEX site and pay. I'd just have to dig through all my info to find it.
Old 05-18-22, 10:16 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Oh, another flashing light: why did FedEx supposedly give you the English unit weight instead of rest-of-the-world mass in kg?
That's standard fare. Every invoice we receive from FedEx has the weight listed in pounds, even if the airway bill and customs documents are in kilograms. (DHL uses kilograms on all their invoices.)
Old 05-18-22, 10:21 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by jamesdak
What got my goat is that FEDEX did not contact me for payment before delivery. They paid on my behalf and then charged me a fee for the service. At no time did I give them permission to act on my behalf and then charge me for it. Not did I pick them as the shipper, that decision was made by the Vendor.
A normal customs broker requires a power of attorney to clear shipments for you, but there are laws that allow FedEx, DHL, etc. to clear shipments for you and then charge you for their services without your prior consent.
Old 05-18-22, 10:48 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Dang it!
I just got dinged by DHL today for an unexpected $107

FWIW: Extralite HyperSmart3 hubs front/rear just went live on Monday. The pair with hybrid ceramic bearings will run you $850 USD shipped. So, with import duties count on about $957 if you want a super cool 212 gram disc brake hub set.

I should've been smart enough to save the $107 in duties by making 2 separate orders. 35€ shipping x2 would've netted a savings of $72 because the $800 value threshold was never crossed.

Live & learn. I sure do wish I'd have known about the $800 threshold mentioned in this thread before I ordered. When it's unexpected, 11% is steep.

Last edited by base2; 05-18-22 at 11:19 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 05-18-22, 11:05 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
100% scam IMO.
Just yesterday, I got a scam call saying they were calling about an Amazon order.
And lots of border patrol BS calls from several states.
Only DHL asked for payment before home shipping. Ignoring it didn't work.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 05-18-22 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-19-22, 06:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I've received these invoices dozens of times, and there's really nothing about it that indicates that this is a scam. The OP received an international shipment at the right time, and FedEx sent him an invoice via snail mail. Granted, FedEx can still make mistakes, so I would still phone or email FedEx and get a confirmation on the airway bill and a copy of the commercial invoice. But, it doesn't smell like a scam.

Here's the problem with that. Effective scammers are likely going to be familiar with FedEx procedures, those aren't exactly secret. Thus, the scams are likely going to resemble those SOPs. The part that smells scammy here is the lack of confirmation tying this bill to a particular shipment. We agree that OP should confirm stuff with FedEx, but I don't think a basic wide net scam should be ruled out here.
Old 05-19-22, 06:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
This is why I buy only locally sourced, farm-to-table, organic, plant-based bike stuff. Just had some new Beyond Brake Pads installed yesterday.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-19-22, 07:07 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
SCAM

Duty on bike parts is more like 6%......not 20% or whatever the invoice from Somalia says.
Old 05-19-22, 07:29 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
SCAM

Duty on bike parts is more like 6%......not 20% or whatever the invoice from Somalia says.
More misunderstanding on how this works. A bill from FedEx will include duties AND customs clearance fees. The clearance fees are often higher than the duties.
Old 05-19-22, 07:45 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
To the OP- what method of payment is requested and exactly who do you pay? Beware the Greek letters in the Internet address scam for one. I did buy a radio from Canada on eBay a few years ago and the customs fees and paperwork were quite a shock.

I would go to FedEx.com and punch in the tracking number, see what that shows.

Last edited by grizzly59; 05-19-22 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-19-22, 07:57 AM
GhostRider62

More misunderstanding on how this works. A bill from FedEx will include duties AND customs clearance fees. The clearance fees are often higher than the duties.
OP said "Duty".

When I have had Fedex clear items for me, they contacted me and I paid in advance. Now, this could have changed.

I try to use a different shipper now.

Fees can be very high, like the $500 changed to inspect my velomobile when in fact there was no actual inspection. OP had a very small package, not a crate of items. You are assuming a lot here.
Old 05-19-22, 08:02 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Who would ever pay a shipping bill after you have received the shipment?
Old 05-19-22, 08:15 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by trailangel
An honest person?
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-19-22, 08:18 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
No... a stupid person.
Old 05-19-22, 09:29 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
OP said "Duty".

When I have had Fedex clear items for me, they contacted me and I paid in advance. Now, this could have changed.

I try to use a different shipper now.

Fees can be very high, like the $500 changed to inspect my velomobile when in fact there was no actual inspection. OP had a very small package, not a crate of items. You are assuming a lot here.
No, I'm actually assuming very little. Several people have chimed in with "This its a scam because of X, Y, or Z", when X, Y, and Z are actually pretty standard fare. So, yes, this could be a scam, but it's not because of X, Y, or Z.
Old 05-19-22, 09:31 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by trailangel
Because FedEx will send it to a collection agency, and you will have to take care of it eventually. (Been there, done that.)
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-19-22, 09:43 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
This is why I buy only locally sourced, farm-to-table, organic, plant-based bike stuff. Just had some new Beyond Brake Pads installed yesterday.
Oh, cool! Were those grown from heritage brake pad seeds?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-19-22, 09:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
No, I'm actually assuming very little. Several people have chimed in with "This its a scam because of X, Y, or Z", when X, Y, and Z are actually pretty standard fare. So, yes, this could be a scam, but it's not because of X, Y, or Z.

Agreed, it's plausible that it's real and it's plausible that it's a scam. We simply don't have enough info about the contacts of the letter and whether its info could be verified to know.

Right now the cat is dead and alive.
Old 05-19-22, 10:31 AM
GhostRider62

Ok, so, I am no longer guilty of misinformation.

Fedex fee for such a transaction is nominal, probably less than 5 bucks. So yes, you are assuming a lot. When you accuse someone of misinformation, try knowing something about the topic.
Old 05-19-22, 11:29 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I would contact Fedex, but using contact info from outside of the bill, to make sure in case this were to be a scam. I had to pay customs on a shipment from Canada in the past when the purchase price was in the vicinity of $700. I also had to pay fees then for presenting the shipment to the customs, and these were hefty, quite comparable to what the customs were collecting. For cheaper shipments, customs does not bother, presumably because the costs of the process would exceed what they might collect. I am not sure where the threshold is to trigger the fees. I think I ordered from Germany and Switzerland up to $230 or something without any fees.
That reminds me that about two weeks ago, I received a "cow bell" (too heavy for bicycle) from Switzerland and while it cost about $250 US, there was no duty collected on it. At least, so far!
Old 05-19-22, 11:38 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
I've made a handful of purchases from Bike24, before, and with delivery to me in the U.S. I have not yet been charged for any duty fees for such transactions. Uncertain whether it's for certain products but not others, etc. Might well want to inquire with Bike24, to see if duty fees are always applicable for their stuff, or only for certain stuff.
Old 05-19-22, 11:49 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
I'm looking at making a purchase from Bike24 that's right about at that limit. Might have to take a couple things out of my cart to make sure I'm below it (and hope the exchange rate doesn't change). Those German sites charge a bit more for shipping than most (and often take a bit longer to ship), but their prices are often good enough (if you buy enough stuff) or they have things no one else does to make up for it.
Old 05-19-22, 11:57 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
That reminds me that about two weeks ago, I received a "cow bell" (too heavy for bicycle) from Switzerland and while it cost about $250 US, there was no duty collected on it. At least, so far!
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
I've made a handful of purchases from Bike24, before, and with delivery to me in the U.S. I have not yet been charged for any duty fees for such transactions. Uncertain whether it's for certain products but not others, etc. Might well want to inquire with Bike24, to see if duty fees are always applicable for their stuff, or only for certain stuff.
In most cases, $800 is the limit - anything under that is going to be duty-free.
Likes For WhyFi:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.