Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Every bike I own has a story, this particular one is quite special....

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-16-22, 02:51 PM
motochick 

Bikes: '80 Medici Tourismo, '82 Merckx, '85 Peugeot PSN10, '86 Ironman, '89 Trek 520, '96 Steelman, '96 Torelli CX, '97 Friday Two'sDay, '02 CoMo Speedster, '09 Giant Reign, '10 Canfield, '13 Turner DHR, '16 Chase BMX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 51 Posts

Every bike I own has a story, some are short and simple, some are not. This story starts 21 yrs ago when we moved to a small town in Northern AZ and I saw this bike for the very first time sitting on top of a Subaru. I immediately fell in love with it, I wanted it. It was orange with blue decals, it was like someone got into my head and crafted that bike just for me! To my surprise, that bike was sitting on top of that car in the same parking spot every time I drove or rode through the touristy mountain town right above us. I would say things like, there's my bike! I'm going to rescue you someday! You are beautiful and deserve to be kept in my living room. I pray someone doesn't steal you. Someday, I might steal you! LOL! The old guy that owned the bike did actually ride it, just about everyday. If not this one then one of the 20 other bikes he owned. I would always be a little sad when "my bike" wasn't on the car but came to enjoy seeing all of the other high quality steel bikes he owned. He owned one of touristy shops in the mountain town and would ride every morning then go to work, which is why the bikes would always be on top of his car all day.

Shortly after we moved here, he met my husband (Adam) out on a ride and invited him to join their ride group. Adam rode with them often and John (old guy) would ride the orange bike most of the time. One day John asked Adam if he wanted to take his tandem bike home so we could give it a try. I didn't want to give it a try! I liked riding my own bike and being in control. John didn't give up though and lent Adam a book about tandem riding and after reading it, I reluctantly agreed to give it a try. We took John's old yellow tandem out for a ride and I absolutely loved it! We were naturals at it, like we had been doing it our whole lives. Because of John's persistence, we are now avid tandem riders and we will forever be grateful to him for that.

In 2018 the car and the bike disappeared from its normal parking spot. John had gone for his usual morning ride, then felt "not well" later on. He laid down to take a nap with his wife by his side and passed peacefully in his sleep, he was 95 yrs old. It wasn't until earlier this year I found out what happened to all of his bikes. They were given to some very close friends of his who happened to own a bike shop in the area, and I knew them well. They would fix up his bikes one at a time and put them up for sale at the shop. I went to the shop and saw a few of them, but I didn't see "my bike". I asked the owner about it and he said it was in pretty bad shape and he hadn't got to it yet, it was still up in the attic. I told him I wanted to buy it and give me a heads up when he pulled it down. I couldn't get it out of my mind, so I went back two weeks later to see what they might want for the bike. I knew what it was and I may not be able to afford it, but I wanted to get an idea of what I was up against...for the future. I was talking to the wife and recounting my story of seeing the bike all the time and "talking to it" and how I wanted it to live indoors and be ridden and pampered by me. She went to ask her husband about the bike and he walked out of the shop without saying anything. The wife told me how he and John had ordered the Steelman bikes at the same time, his was blue with orange decals and Johns was orange with blue decals. They were color opposites. When I heard this, I knew I may never get to ride this bike, it would be too sentimental for them to let it go. Ten minutes later he walked into the shop with the bike. I was so excited to see it again, up close! It was pretty thrashed, covered in years of grime, sun faded, tires rotted or gone, mismatched components. I thought it was perfect. Then they did something I never expected, they just gave it to me! I lost it! They said John would have wanted it this way. I was overwhelmed with joy and emotions! After 21 years of loving this bike from afar, it was going to be mine.

I brought it home, immediately tore it down to the frame and began cleaning and polishing the sun faded powder coated frame. It was stunning. You could clearly see the way the sun beat on it everyday with more fading on the drive side. The once black stem and headset were faded in the same way, the top cap had turned from black to green! I want to ride this bike, a lot, so I needed to build it up to be comfortable for me. I used as many of John's parts as I could, even restoring the grimy headset. He had 2 different bar end shifters on the bike, the left side was Campy, the right side was Shimano. The bar end mounts on both were cracked and quite brittle but I wanted to use the shifters so I repurposed them to my Peugeot, the bike I use when I climbed the mountain. The Peugeot had Shimano bar end shifters on the down tube, so I put those on the orange bike. I converted the bike to 650b running 35mm tires for comfort. It now has a triple crank (I ride a lot of mountains) and an Ultegra 10sp rear derailleur, I was able to use his Sachs front derailleur. The bar tape was some old used stuff I had lying around because I want to make sure these bars will work for me, I have new blue stuff on order. The wheels I stole from the Peugeot until my new ones get here. (Pacenti 28 hole) This 1996 Steelman in Dedaccai Zero comes in at 20lbs as pictured. I have ridden it for a week now and it is an amazing bike, so comfortable and seems to climb effortlessly. Now I see why John rode this bike much more than all of the others combined. It was well worth the 21 year wait!

That bike story has ended but there are two more bikes that intertwine with this story. The first is a 1996 Torelli cyclocross bike. When I first went to the bike shop to see John's bikes, this one was on display and it caught my eye. I like old, lugged, high quality, steel bikes and this wasn't one I remember seeing hanging out on the top of John's car. It was found as a frame/fork in the pile of John's bike stuff. Close by was a Torelli wheel set that one can only assume was meant for this frame. The shop owner built up this bike with parts from John's stash and added any missing parts from his own vintage bike stash. (thank goodness the shop owner is a vintage bike enthusiast himself, his shop is part museum!) After figuring out what parts I needed to get the Steelman back on the road, I went to the shop to order what I needed and asked to see the Torelli up close. Just to see if I really needed it. I couldn't get it out of my mind since the first time I saw it, so it came home with me. I put a triple on it and I love riding it! It rides as beautifully as it looks. I was able to get in touch with Chairman Bill, the founder of Torelli and he told me they made less than 100 of these frames in a small artisan shop in northern Italy. The frame tubing is Columbus Brain with the fork being Oria tubing.

The second bike linked to this epic tale is a silver Steelman. While we, the shop owners, my husband and myself were talking about the Steelmans, they mentioned they had ordered a silver one for a customer but don't remember the year or who it was. After we left that bike shop, we went to another shop that was closer to us (that had just opened earlier this year) to pick up some tubes we had ordered. This area previously had no bike shop and we want to support the new guy to make sure his shop sticks around! While waiting, I looked around in the used bike area and guess what I saw? Yep, a silver Steelman. It was pretty thrashed. It had sat outside for a very long time and the sun had damaged the paint and made it look like cracked glass and the components were caked with years of grime. We asked the new shop owner what the deal was with this bike. He said a customer had acquired it from a guy and he never got around to riding it so it just sat. He gave it to the shop owner and told him to do with it what he liked. The shop owner didn't really have time to dedicate to restoring it so he sold it to us for a song. It is a tad smaller than the size my husband normally rides but we are gonna build it up and see how it goes. How crazy is it that this particular bike just falls into our lap like that? We took the frame to the other shop and they said that was it! The "other" Steelman they had ordered. We are also waiting for wheels for this build so it will be later in August until this one gets completed.

Here are many pictures to go along with my crazy long story. Enjoy!

TL;DR: An old guy died and I acquired some of his bikes

The '96 Steelman AKA the orange bike.

Lots of sun fading, yes those are Campy record brake-only levers. The insides for the shifting part are empty.

All of John's bikes have this sticker the bike shop had made. Our tandem also has one

The bike shop wife found this very old pic on her phone after I told her the story!

This is the day I brought it home

These are the bar end shifters now mounted on my Peugeot, yes I changed the right lever and removed the left rubber cover.

'96 Torelli cyclocross bike, beautiful craftsmanship

Unknown year Steelman

"Cracked" paint up close. It's a bit different than my orange one so possibly newer
Old 06-16-22, 03:37 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,072 Times in 634 Posts
Great story. Lovely bicycles too. I do have to ask about the pedals on the Torelli. What are those?
Old 06-16-22, 04:08 PM
motochick 

Bikes: '80 Medici Tourismo, '82 Merckx, '85 Peugeot PSN10, '86 Ironman, '89 Trek 520, '96 Steelman, '96 Torelli CX, '97 Friday Two'sDay, '02 CoMo Speedster, '09 Giant Reign, '10 Canfield, '13 Turner DHR, '16 Chase BMX

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Great story. Lovely bicycles too. I do have to ask about the pedals on the Torelli. What are those?
Thanks! The pedals are Pedaling Innovations Catalyst, we run them on every bike we ride!
Likes For motochick:
Old 06-16-22, 05:04 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
That is a great story! So glad you shared it with us!

In case anyone else is going through a similar process, don't forget that you can contact the framebuilder and get one made for yourself!
...assuming they haven't gone out of business, retired, etc. .....
While finally getting something after 20 years of lusting over it is a pretty incredible experience, it's also darned fun to work with a framebuilder and come up with your dream bike.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 06-16-22, 05:41 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 142 Posts
Great story, and a very cool bike indeed. I love anything with a stiletto fork.
Likes For VtwinVince:
Old 06-16-22, 05:50 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 924 Posts
Originally Posted by motochick
Then they did something I never expected, they just gave it to me! I lost it! They said John would have wanted it this way.
Not gonna lie, got a bit emotional at this point.
Old 06-16-22, 06:05 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,311 Times in 775 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Some intangibles are more valuable than money.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 06-17-22, 12:21 AM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 349 Posts
I loved reading this story! Thanks for sharing.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 06-17-22, 07:34 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,723 Posts
Wonderful story. You deserved that bike.
Likes For smd4:
Old 06-17-22, 08:07 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
This story was a great way to start the day. Thanks. 👍

I'm from PA, but spent quite a bit of time in Arizona. I'm probably gonna end up back there, the climate really suits my arthritis. 🙄😉
Likes For stardognine:
Old 06-17-22, 08:49 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 497 Times in 253 Posts
Thanks for your account. Truly Serendipity in action. I have a Torelli Gran Sasso with a NorthWest setup from my Olympia WA days( fenders/generator lights, Brooks saddle), so really like your cyclocross Torelli. Don
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 06-17-22, 08:52 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 497 Times in 253 Posts
My Torelli...Oooops, needs the pic

My Olympia Torelli

ready for the Rainy Northwest

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 06-17-22 at 09:01 AM. Reason: add pic
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 06-17-22, 09:23 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 335 Posts
If not you, then who? Meant in a good way.
Things align. People create our stories; and we act in them.

I think he knew, and then the couple knew, and it was.
You are likely crafting someone else's story right now, or have, or will.

And so it goes. Well done by just being yourself.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 06-17-22, 09:24 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
Yeah, not to proud to admit the same.
Old 06-17-22, 12:17 PM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 53 Posts
Loved the story!! Beautiful bikes!
Likes For RobertUI:
Old 06-17-22, 12:34 PM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
Thank you for sharing this story with us, that was really well written and enjoyable to read. You have a flair for this...
Likes For poprad:
Old 06-17-22, 01:58 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 3,772 Times in 664 Posts
Neat story. Appreciate you sharing it here. You are obviously the person that bike was meant to be passed onto.
It does reinforce / confirm how my mindset is changing as I get older.
I want the pleasure of seeing my bikes go to 'good homes' of friends that I care about and remove the burden on my family to clear out that stuff when I am gone.
Likes For northbend:
Old 06-17-22, 03:03 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,931 Times in 1,862 Posts
As did I. At that exact point in the tale.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 06-18-22, 09:07 AM
motochick 

Thank you all for the kind words. I have been riding the bike up the mountain quite a bit this last week, it was made for this. The first time I was alone and stopped at the shop and the parking spot, damn onions. Here is the bike next to the shop. This was best angle I could get because the sun was still coming up making for terrible lighting. The parking spot is up by the cone in the background.

The orange bike back at the shop
Likes For motochick:
Old 06-18-22, 10:01 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,671 Posts
My eyes are damp... Ty!
Likes For 52telecaster: