Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How often do you clean your brake pads?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.
View Poll Results: How often do you clean your brake rotors (or rim surface) and pads?
Regularly (How often)
7.89%
Here and There
31.58%
No
60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

How often do you clean your brake pads?

Old 06-16-22, 06:51 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Hey cabbage man, any updates?
it worked.

Torching also worked on some XT pads that after sitting for a winter had no bite… Cleaning and sanding alone did not help.
Old 06-16-22, 07:01 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
After pulling out the pads on all three of my bikes, and scrubbing them down with a metal brush, I find that the braking performance is now stronger and smoother.
I never clean my disc brakes, both pads and rotors. Never noticed any degradation in performance since brand new. I only use metal-sintered pads - the ones that make loud noise so peds can hear their impending doom.

Maybe because I regularly go up mountains with long and steep gradients, I probably use the brakes hard and long enough to make intense heat and vaporize any unwanted stuff on the brake pads and the rotors.
Old 06-16-22, 07:21 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
IPA on the rims about weekly. In the rare case that pads are glazed, sandpaper.
Old 06-16-22, 07:23 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I think the reason you find sanding helps or is needed is that you’ve got contaminated pads. Sanding is often just a temporary solution, as the contamination makes its way back to the surface.

Brake dust should have no negative effects on braking, and unless you have comtaminated the pads and feel a decrease in braking, there is no reason the clean/sand them, which is why no manufacturer recomends doing it as a part of regular maintenance.
Old 06-16-22, 08:55 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I think the reason you find sanding helps or is needed is that you’ve got contaminated pads. Sanding is often just a temporary solution, as the contamination makes its way back to the surface.

Brake dust should have no negative effects on braking, and unless you have comtaminated the pads and feel a decrease in braking, there is no reason the clean/sand them, which is why no manufacturer recomends doing it as a part of regular maintenance.
I think it's the organic pads that can get contaminated easily and can get glazed. The sintered pads can handle some typical oil contamination that comes from wet roads and you can vaporize the oil contamination on long and steep descents. I only read that sintered pads are not good to use on hydraulic brakes due to heat conduction. But I have fully mechanical disc brakes and no problems whatsoever except for the noise. However, the noise is only temporary with new pads. They'll go away with use.
Old 06-16-22, 11:29 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,514 Times in 548 Posts
I'll clean the rotors occasionally with automotive wheel cleaner that is suitable for painted wheels. I've never cleaned the pads and haven't felt the need to..
Old 06-16-22, 12:49 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
So assuming that the rotors are clean, this should help ensure that the majority of potential contamination doesn't make it's way to the pads?

Since sanding works really well , temporarily, how can I prevent contamination, period?
Old 06-16-22, 02:41 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
how can I prevent contamination, period?
Don't ride your bike.
Old 06-16-22, 02:50 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

So assuming that the rotors are clean, this should help ensure that the majority of potential contamination doesn't make it's way to the pads?

Since sanding works really well , temporarily, how can I prevent contamination, period?
Aside from the obvious stuff like keeping oily stuff off the pads and rotors..... Just ride the bike and hope for the best. Sometimes it just happens. By road bike pads have never gotten contaminated, but my MTB pads have, and I really don't know how. For some reason when my XT pads on my MTB sit over the winter, something happens to them and the act like they are contaminated. This year I picked up on the blowtorch trick and it worked.
Old 06-17-22, 07:28 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
It not obvious to me.

For cars, trucks and even bicycles, most of the stuff I've read suggests firm braking is better for brake pad and rotor life. ....
I have no opinion on bikes but for cars and trucks this is backward. For years I was responsible for a maintenance department with a fleet of 251 mobile vehicles from cars to 350 ton haul trucks traveling up and down open pit mine haul roads and spent a lot of time studying this issue and the literature is clear.

Last edited by easyupbug; 06-17-22 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-17-22, 08:40 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
I have no opinion on bikes but for cars and trucks this is backward. For years I was responsible for a maintenance department with a fleet of 251 mobile vehicles from cars to 350 ton haul trucks traveling up and down open pit mine haul roads and spent a lot of time studying this issue and the literature is clear.
The literature might be clear, but your answer here is not. Even for cars and trucks I'm not all to certain which way you lean.
Old 06-17-22, 09:57 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Firm braking (at least for cars and trucks...) Assuming you're not locking up the brakes or braking too hard, helps recondition the pads/rotors and promote even wear, assuming that everything is mounted properly. Assuming we all have the same idea regarding "firm" , what he was saying makes sense. It's actually important to occasionally do some firm "bedding" type stops here and there when the brakes are often subjected to uneven use patterns with Insufficient heat build up, using them lightly, or too hard, whenever they ARE in use.
Old 06-17-22, 10:58 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
The literature might be clear, but your answer here is not.
Acta retracta?
Old 06-17-22, 11:06 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4784 Post(s)
Liked 3,906 Times in 2,540 Posts
Rim brakes - I regularly hose my bikes off with a light spray but blast the brake shoe from both directions to both clean out the ugly black dust and remove any grit.

Right now I have a little tubular glue on my rear rim and a shudder when braking. Persistent stuff! I've done two cleansings so far with Simple Green, paint remover and dish soap. Better each time but still there.
Old 06-17-22, 02:47 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
It not obvious to me.

For cars, trucks and even bicycles, most of the stuff I've read suggests firm braking is better for brake pad and rotor life. Dragging ones brakes is ineffective for stopping and just creates unnecessary heat which is bad for every thing.

Now if you are talking about hard stops where the bike or any other vehicle is going so fast that the braking can't be accomplished before the parts get too hot, then I might agree.
This is my understanding also. On a long descent steep I brake several times and coast vs just one long brake.
Likes For sean.hwy: