Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

prestacycle torque tools

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

prestacycle torque tools

Old 07-02-22, 07:04 AM
force10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
prestacycle torque tools

Price on these is hard to ignore. Are they worth buying?

https://www.prestacycle.com/product/...bits-tool-kit/

https://www.prestacycle.com/product/...fc552fe2cef4eb
Old 07-02-22, 09:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
That's your call. I suppose if you have no idea what too tight is then they might be useful

If you don't need the torque measuring or limiting function of the tools then you spend way less money just buying the driver points at your local big box home building supply store.
Old 07-02-22, 11:48 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
For me neither. I can’t foresee needing 4, 5, 6, 7, 8nm when most components have a torque range. And every torque wrench has a tolerance. Some of it is dependent on the speed you turn the wrench.

The verbiage gives me the impression of just hype. Such as, “won’t (break or) lose accuracy from drops” or “calibrated for 5000 cycles”. This is really nonsense in the world of tools.

I’ll use torque wrenches on some things. And I’ve checked them to see how accurate they are, within a reasonable range, at different settings.

John
Old 07-02-22, 11:24 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Those torque-key type wrenches are great. I only have one, the original Ritchey version which is 5nm. I use it a lot for stems mostly, but it does my seat post collars fine too

For other stuff, I have two simple beam type torque wrenches
an old (discontinued) 1/4 inch drive Park that goes to about 7nm. Works for almost everything other than cranks and cassettes.
a craftsman that goes to about 70 or so nm, so it's perfect for cranks, cassettes, the heavy stuff.

Click type are easier to use, but more expensive and I tend to not trust them mostly because I started with a cheap one and it wasn't accurate. I'd wager the normal priced ones (i.e. good quality) are fine.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-03-22, 06:29 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I would also imagine once getting to ~8Nm or thereabouts, these kinds of handles might be pretty difficult to turn?
Old 07-03-22, 10:17 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
I have a CDI Torque screwdriver that I like better than the individual torque keys. And it is less $ too, although it doesn't come with as many bits as the Prestacycle.

I have 1 of the Ritchey 5Nm torque keys and I've noticed it takes a couple uses to "warm-up" The first couple of clicks will be much greater than the 5Nm setting, closer to 6Nm than 5. Verified this on our calibrated torque tester at work. The CDI does it too but if I click it a couple of times at its lowest setting (2Nm) then everything is within 5% on all settings. Just something to think.about.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 07-03-22, 07:38 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I second the recommendation on the CDI screwdriver. CDI makes a lot of torque wrenches and that type of thing so there's at least somewhat of a reputation to uphold and it comes with calibration report.
Old 07-03-22, 08:50 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
I can’t speak to the torque screwdriver model above, but I’ve been pleased with CDI’s dial type torque tools. They have been the default at several of the facilities I worked in. I’ve only seen one fail, and based on our use pattern it had well north of 50k cycles, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was several times that value.
Old 07-05-22, 01:16 PM
force10

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Thanks for the responses, everyone. Should have thought better of starting a new thread question at the beginning of a holiday weekend.

I think the CDI tool looks like it would suit my purposes. Ive recently purchased my first carbon framed bicycle and I am mildly apprehensive about things like the seat post collar.