Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How fer did you ride today?!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How fer did you ride today?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-22, 07:48 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I seriously feel my regime of HMB, beta alanine and Beet Root powder are paying off for this late sexagenarian. Good endurance while keeping the speed over 17 MPH ave.. After doing this kind of ride last year, I would have been whipped but today I felt fine with explosive power when I needed it.

Oh, I like the double loop route. Nice. Is there a some term for that kind of "structure?" And very good for an "old" guy. But now I'm closer to 80 than 70! (yikes) Maybe I'll try beet whatever as it is I'm already BEAT!
Old 07-17-22, 07:59 AM
kahn

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
I also did the STP but only once back in 2012. I did the two day and used it as a training ride for the RAMROD later that month. I had three flats before getting to the first rest stop in Kent. The tire was shot so I bought a new tire from the mechanic at an extremely generous discount. He also threw in three tubes for free. When I left Kent there was hardly anyone around. I rode hard to catch up to people and was continuously calling out "on your left".
Oh, I trained for RAMROD. It was the year that in July I decided I needed some lighter tights since it was darn cool that July. Our longest training ride was from Seattle to just north of Arlington and back. I recall hitting Monroe at one point and commenting to my friend that when we hit Monroe our car is usually parked "here"! No, still had to get home to Greenlake. Alas, we never did the ride since the forecast was awful and we had no sag support. It was the year they pulled people off the ride suffering hypothermia. We always regretted not riding but knowing we made the right choice. Even back then I needed electric insoles when chilly. I would have frozen to death. I think I still have the unearned shirt somewhere.

Some memories, both great and "ungreat", still rattle around up there!!!
Likes For kahn:
Old 07-17-22, 09:56 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,600 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
Oh, I like the double loop route. Nice. Is there a some term for that kind of "structure?" And very good for an "old" guy. But now I'm closer to 80 than 70! (yikes) Maybe I'll try beet whatever as it is I'm already BEAT!
I called it framing Mercer Island. Agree that the double loop is a winner - never would have dreamed you were pushing 80 considering the mileage you do. You no doubt have the health and legs of a man far younger.

It was interesting getting my clock cleaned by a teenager on a racing bike who rode the 3 intense climbs out of Beaux Arts out of the saddle like they were nothing. Ah youth.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-17-22, 01:33 PM
kahn

I called it framing Mercer Island. Agree that the double loop is a winner - never would have dreamed you were pushing 80 considering the mileage you do. You no doubt have the health and legs of a man far younger.

It was interesting getting my clock cleaned by a teenager on a racing bike who rode the 3 intense climbs out of Beaux Arts out of the saddle like they were nothing. Ah youth.
Thanks but I'm way overweight and generally out of shape. Forcing myself to do some of this stuff just so that I can keep trying to do this stuff.
Likes For kahn:
Old 07-17-22, 01:40 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I have a 1200km upcoming, so, I wussed out a 26 miler but did a PB on my local climb out of town. My PB at the start of the year was 2:51 and then I got to 2:42 and today to 2:31 at just under 400 watts. Good for a fat old basturd. The fast young racers are 1:55-2:00.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-17-22, 03:40 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
56 miles, 4,500 feet of gain.

beautiful start, epic descent … but the top of the climb (seven sisters southbound for locals) was utterly miserable for me. gassed out from the long climb but now in the SUN and still climbing.

and i discovered the downside of power meters. when you’re sucking / dying, they tell you exactly how much you’re sucking compared to normal!

Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-17-22, 03:41 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by kahn
i have never seen a route pattern like that! love it, and now going to find one.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-17-22, 05:46 PM
kahn

Originally Posted by mschwett
i have never seen a route pattern like that! love it, and now going to find one.
You should be able to work one of your islands down there into something similar.

The term I was thinking about is a TORUS - a donut shape!!!!

Actually, someone with enough stamina could do a triple loop, Using the various bridges and lake perimeters.
Old 07-17-22, 05:54 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by mschwett
56 miles, 4,500 feet of gain.

beautiful start, epic descent … but the top of the climb (seven sisters southbound for locals) was utterly miserable for me. gassed out from the long climb but now in the SUN and still climbing.

and i discovered the downside of power meters. when you’re sucking / dying, they tell you exactly how much you’re sucking compared to normal!

Nice climbing! What a good route if it’s not cooking hot in San Rafael.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-17-22, 05:57 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Troul
111 Miler.
Knock it off you over achiever!

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-17-22, 06:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Knock it off you over achiever!
Wasnt going fer it, but it sorta happened with some orange barrel detours. Glad I did it tho! today was a rainout.
Old 07-17-22, 06:36 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Wasnt going fer it, but it sorta happened with some orange barrel detours. Glad I did it tho! today was a rainout.
Hate those. The last one I encountered took me up a one mile climb between 12-15% 😲 and it was hot. 🚴‍♀️. Had to stop at the top just to get the sweat out of my eyes since my head band failed.

Old 07-17-22, 06:43 PM
beechnutC23
U.I.O.G.D.

Bikes: Bassi Hog's Back gravel/bikepacking, Bombtrack Hook 2 gravel, Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, Marinoni Special EL-OS/Campy Record (retired to permanent indoor trainer), Rocky Mountain hybrid, Rocky Mountain mtb Cervelo R3 Team/Campy Chorus FOR SALE

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 17 Posts
103 km (64 miles) and 1393 m (4600 ft), mostly gravel, exploring the western part of Québec's Eastern Townships. Visited a memorial to the battle of Eccles Hill when Canada repelled Fenian raiders. It was hotter than it had been for a while, I went through two three bottles of Gatorade which near the end were like hot tea, and replenished with cool mountain water in Sutton for the final 15 km. There was also a couple of km of trail.

Likes For beechnutC23:
Old 07-17-22, 07:05 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by beechnutC23
103 km (64 miles) and 1393 m (4600 ft), mostly gravel, exploring the western part of Québec's Eastern Townships. Visited a memorial to the battle of Eccles Hill when Canada repelled Fenian raiders. It was hotter than it had been for a while, I went through two three bottles of Gatorade which near the end were like hot tea, and replenished with cool mountain water in Sutton for the final 15 km. There was also a couple of km of trail.

great report. looks like an absolutely ideal ride, heat aside!!
Old 07-17-22, 07:22 PM
Troul 

Hate those. The last one I encountered took me up a one mile climb between 12-15% 😲 and it was hot. 🚴‍♀️. Had to stop at the top just to get the sweat out of my eyes since my head band failed.
idk if i've just started paying more attention to road/ped construction, but I swear, 5+ years ago I don't recall this much of it. It'd probably be less of a problem IF the areas under construction weren't dragged on for many months/years or if the end product was actually done well...

It's getting hard finding a local area to ride (20+ miles) in without seeing those orange cones!
Old 07-17-22, 08:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

idk if i've just started paying more attention to road/ped construction, but I swear, 5+ years ago I don't recall this much of it. It'd probably be less of a problem IF the areas under construction weren't dragged on for many months/years or if the end product was actually done well...

It's getting hard finding a local area to ride (20+ miles) in without seeing those orange cones!
You are so right. The place I ran into construction has gone on for more than a year. I hit it last summer and had to detour, then earlier this summer it appeared finished and was free and clear. A month later, closed again. Go figure?

Old 07-17-22, 09:19 PM
Troul 

You are so right. The place I ran into construction has gone on for more than a year. I hit it last summer and had to detour, then earlier this summer it appeared finished and was free and clear. A month later, closed again. Go figure?
Spot on for my area too.
The 45mph+ roads that are closed or have reduced lanes is bringing a lot more traffic to the areas with 35mph (& less) , however, those drivers also brought the higher speeds & careless habits with them too. A 30 mph single lane route that I used to like is lucky to have a car do within 5mph of that posted sign... I'd wager to say the average speeder is doing 45mph. Also, that road was relatively smooth a year ago. Now it's pothole infested, debris scattered about, & has had a watermain break resulting in a poor pavement patch job in place of the smooth concrete it once had.
Old 07-17-22, 10:45 PM
kahn

Originally Posted by beechnutC23

I had never heard of those raids. Looking it up, they were even active on this side of the Continent.

"The Fenian Brotherhood organized openly in the Pacific Northwest states during the 1870s and 1880s, agitating to invade British Columbia. Although no raids were ever launched, tensions were sufficient that Britain sent several large warships to the new railhead at Vancouver, British Columbia for the celebrations opening the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1886."
Likes For kahn:
Old 07-17-22, 11:32 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
another (mostly) coastal c-note. oh sunday beach traffic!
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-18-22, 08:44 AM
kahn

16.7 and the usual about 800 feet. Attraction along the way but ignored - the very enticing aroma of the Ballard Seafood Fest's bbs salmon meal but I knew the crowds would make it unpleasant. Then a slight detour adding about a mile to hit the local bike shop to pick up new SPD multi-release cleats for a pair of new bike shoes. A gray, overcast day with temp just at 70 but Golden Gardens was a zoo.
Likes For kahn:
Old 07-18-22, 09:18 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Caveat: I compete in the 65 to 70 bracket. If we were talking all men, I would be off the map. The wana be Phil Gaimon of the senior set.

Last edited by rsbob; 07-18-22 at 09:23 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-19-22, 10:18 AM
VegasJen

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
30.5 miles in just about 1:45.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 07-20-22, 07:37 AM
zaroba

Bikes: 1970s Peugoet road bike, 1995 Schwinn Mesa, 2008 Mongoose XR250

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Only around 2 miles this morning before it started getting hot outside. But it was my first ride in 10 years besides a simple trip around the block 2 days ago. My knees have to get used to it again.

It's amazing how much more of a workout biking is than walking, knees tired after less than a quarter mile, yet no trouble going for a 5 hour walk on a beach.
Likes For zaroba:
Old 07-20-22, 08:07 AM
Troul 

70 miles. 19 MPH headwind going out. Didnt mind it, it was dry warm, & very little vehicle traffic. I'd kept on going if I had the time.
Old 07-20-22, 12:33 PM
kahn

Juanita Way? Time to wrap that one up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.