Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A visit to two framebuilders in Portland, Oregon

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A visit to two framebuilders in Portland, Oregon

Old 04-26-18, 02:07 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
As I have said before, Merz, Newlands and DiNucci. We have been an epicenter for a very long time.
Many moons ago I had an mid-70's Strawberry the had DiNucci signature on it. It had the most beautiful thinned lugs and finishing work. Is that the same DiNucci? I think the first name was Mark.

I should have never sold that bike... but isn't that what we all say. :-)
Old 04-26-18, 06:11 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Yep, if you had a Strawberry it was his early work when he worked for Andy Newlands at Strawberry. He later went to work for Merz then struck out on his own. These three laid the framebuilder groundwork in PDX and are why it's in our DNA.

Originally Posted by Paul J
Many moons ago I had an mid-70's Strawberry the had DiNucci signature on it. It had the most beautiful thinned lugs and finishing work. Is that the same DiNucci? I think the first name was Mark.

I should have never sold that bike... but isn't that what we all say. :-)
Old 07-04-22, 10:49 PM
tornai

Bikes: 1969 Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
You are absolutely right, I firmly believe all this was set up back in the early 70's when Merz and Newlands started to really get after it in earnest with DiNucci's help and a host of others, Neil Cernitz, David Feldman and many others. Bruce Gordon came to Eugene for 10 years as well and add to the mix so much of this was in the works for a long time with a lot of momentum laying the groundwork for all that we have now.
I saw that you gave a shout out to Neil Cernitz. Small world - I cruised by Neil this morning as we were both on our bikes heading in opposite directions. Neil is a neighbor of mine and helps me wrench my race bikes when I get beyond my very limited capabilities. Such a great guy, super talented!
Old 07-04-22, 11:54 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by tornai
I saw that you gave a shout out to Neil Cernitz. Small world - I cruised by Neil this morning as we were both on our bikes heading in opposite directions. Neil is a neighbor of mine and helps me wrench my race bikes when I get beyond my very limited capabilities. Such a great guy, super talented!
Yep, I've gathered that, never met or talked to him but found a couple posts or articles about him and check the net for him once in awhile. I would like to meet him but have not tried to make it happen.