Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I (still) stink

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I (still) stink

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-22, 04:32 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
I (still) stink

I apologize in advance for the gross nature of this post, but I could use some suggestions.

I tend to sweat a lot when I ride hard (mainly up hills). Try as i might, I cannot seem to stop the post ride underarm stench.

I've verified its not embedded in the jerseys as I've cleaned them with Borax and white vinegar *and* I've gotten the same smell after riding with an unwashed new jersey.

The stench is in the underarm area

I thought antiperspirant would help, but alas, I just came back from a 2 hour ride and "woof"

I've tried shaving the pits, using deodorant (helps a bit) and antiperspirant (worked once) but I'm not sure what the deal is - i'm a stinker

I don't seem to have this issue when exercising in a gym (or maybe I don't work out as hard). In the gym i tend to wear cotton so i don't know how much of it is related to the fabric type (my jerseys are all from Voler made of synthetic material). Not sure what it is about bicycle riding and/or jerseys that bring this out but its pretty annoying
Old 04-23-22, 04:58 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Try a merino one.
Old 04-23-22, 05:44 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22583 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
Sorry, this persists AFTER you shower with lots of soap and water?
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-23-22, 05:50 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
What is your diet?
Likes For joesch:
Old 04-23-22, 05:50 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
I apologize in advance for the gross nature of this post, but I could use some suggestions.

I tend to sweat a lot when I ride hard (mainly up hills). Try as i might, I cannot seem to stop the post ride underarm stench.

I've verified its not embedded in the jerseys as I've cleaned them with Borax and white vinegar *and* I've gotten the same smell after riding with an unwashed new jersey.

The stench is in the underarm area

I thought antiperspirant would help, but alas, I just came back from a 2 hour ride and "woof"

I've tried shaving the pits, using deodorant (helps a bit) and antiperspirant (worked once) but I'm not sure what the deal is - i'm a stinker

I don't seem to have this issue when exercising in a gym (or maybe I don't work out as hard). In the gym i tend to wear cotton so i don't know how much of it is related to the fabric type (my jerseys are all from Voler made of synthetic material). Not sure what it is about bicycle riding and/or jerseys that bring this out but its pretty annoying
I've read that smell come from decaying bacteria. you may need to clean more thoroughly. I personally have had to do multiple treatments under my arms. shaving is not necessary but use scissors to reduce hair length. I'v tried all kinds of things, back to back. it wouldn't hurt to try whatever you have in the shower, such as bar soap, shampoo, shaving cream, etc. now this last suggestion is the best, but I suggest adding it to a soapy washcloth after you've used all the others. don't damage your skin w/ scrubbing. here's the last thing you can try & it's potent so just a small dab spread over a soapy washcloth, OK. toothpaste. whatever kind you have will help. diff. types are stringer, like the mint flavored ones. the gentler type for sensitive teeth would be kinder to your skin. I now have a good routine, so I rarely have to resort to the multi product plus toothpaste routine. good luck!
Old 04-23-22, 06:52 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
What is your diet?
This. Eating lots of meat and spices will make you stink.

I also sweat a lot on the underarm area but don't stink much. I have low meat diet, very few spices, and sponge bath everyday. Daily sponge bath is also huge help.
Old 04-23-22, 07:27 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
An understanding of the sources is essential to working towards solutions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_o...2Den%2D3%2Done)
"...In humans, the formation of body odors is caused by factors such as diet, sex, health, and medication, but the major contribution comes from bacterial activity on skin glandsecretions.[1] Humans have three types of sweat glands: eccrine sweat glands, apocrine sweat glands and sebaceous glands...."
SO whatever affects the activity of the sweat glands, the bacterial load of the area, and what holds the stinky byproducts should be considered.
Our local club kit is from Voler - but then it's likely that Voler uses a number of fabrics, different in constitution, depends on what they're producing...
1. To remove (or include) the fabric type from the search equation - have you ridden the same kind of riding using another fabric type? You say cotton, in the gym, doesn;t seem to give you BO... Ride a cotton shirt with roughly the same weight and fit - determine if it smells as much. Now, that may not be a good tell, because some fabrics just 'present' the BO stronger/better than others. But if cotton comes back stinky, then maybe it's not a major part of the stink awareness equation.
I have ONE jersey, out of some 4-5 dozen, which ALWAYS holds stink strongly... totally fabric problem, because, even though I do perspire, most jerseys aren't badly obnoxious after a long ride (confirmed from ride buddies...). So this one jersey - even though it's a fav, is relegated to non-use.
... are you a 'cheese' or 'vinegar' guy ?
Ride on... quickly ... into a slight headwind...
Yuri
Old 04-24-22, 04:31 AM
The_woo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
https://trustproducts.co.uk/products...our-protection

This deodorant is a game changer for life in general, not quite sure it’s it’s originally intended for extra smelly people or those doing adventure trekking / riding / festivals with days without showers etc. but it’s incredible as someone who commutes by bike, does group rides multiple times a week, goes bikepacking etc.

One application a week, fully waterproof, can shower as normal once it’s dried. It works by stopping the bacteria that cause smells but doesn’t stop you sweating. A tiny pot last 6+ weeks minimum.
Old 04-24-22, 06:38 AM
tajimirich

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
It's diet. Guarantee. Particularly guilty parties would include Red Bull et al, beef, spices, coke, stuff like that..

Also, cut your armpit hair as short as possible, no need to shave but short enough to allow your deodorant to evenly coat your skin.. try to get a block-type deodorant that specifically says it can protect you for 48 hours and the like.
Old 04-24-22, 07:15 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Not much to add to the above. Have you tried showering using Dial soap?
Old 04-24-22, 07:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Sorry, this persists AFTER you shower with lots of soap and water?
+1. If it’s only before you shower, so what?
Old 04-24-22, 12:45 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Try a merino one.
Yep, Merino base layer and top to avoid the smells. Works amazingly well for me.
Old 04-24-22, 02:25 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by indyfabz
+1. If it’s only before you shower, so what?
in the list of things the OP mentioned, absent is a shower. not that I need a shower before a ride, but my old joints like a warm/hot shower to help me stretch & limber up. & yes there will be less bacteria to migrate to my clothing, regardless of fabric & under arm treatment. I generally wash my ride gear right after my rides. depending on the ride, I'll shower again. I do like water. always seem to have some laundry kicking around the house that I can throw in to make a load. admiringly easy when my washer is right next to my bedroom
Old 04-24-22, 02:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
in the list of things the OP mentioned, absent is a shower. not that I need a shower before a ride, but my old joints like a warm/hot shower to help me stretch & limber up. & yes there will be less bacteria to migrate to my clothing, regardless of fabric & under arm treatment. I generally wash my ride gear right after my rides. depending on the ride, I'll shower again. I do like water. always seem to have some laundry kicking around the house that I can throw in to make a load. admiringly easy when my washer is right next to my bedroom
I meant post-ride, pre-shower. It’s hard to tell if the OP referencing continued smell post-shower.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-24-22, 02:38 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I meant post-ride, pre-shower. It’s hard to tell if the OP referencing continued smell post-shower.
oh right, of course
Old 04-24-22, 02:42 PM
rumrunn6

with multilayered rides, like in the winter, where I've used up to 5 layers, one has to decide how far out, from the skin, do the layers require a wash
  1. wind breaker vest - no
  2. fleece jacket w/ open pit zips - no
  3. thermal layer, like my favorite fleece shirt - maybe
  4. thicker base - yes
  5. thin base against skin - yes
Old 04-24-22, 10:33 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

no, what is it about dial that helps?
Old 04-24-22, 10:35 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Yep, Merino base layer and top to avoid the smells. Works amazingly well for me.
i can't seem to find many merino jerseys, but lots of base layers.

Maybe i'll give them a try
Old 04-24-22, 10:36 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I don't shower before a ride
i definitely shower right after and soak my clothing overnight in a bucket of water with some white vinegar and Borax.
Likes For Symox:
Old 04-24-22, 10:37 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2237 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 1,793 Posts
Cut your armpit hair, and put antibiotic cream in your arm-pits about once a week.
Old 04-25-22, 05:42 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22583 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
I (still) don't understand the problem. Please clarify:

Is the concern that your body/pits stink after a ride and AFTER a shower?? That's not normal.

Or is the concern that your bike clothing stinks after a ride?? That's kinda normal.
Old 04-25-22, 06:19 AM
rumrunn6

soak my clothing overnight in a bucket of water with some white vinegar and Borax.
interesting combo! when I can't wash right away I've done a cpl things. sometimes I'll use bar soap on armpits & crotch areas w/ a little water, squeeze dry but damp. or spray w/ some liquid detergent that I keep for stains. I used to use stain remover like Shout, etc. but in a pinch I resorted to liquid laundry detergent. seems good enough so why spend extra $$
Old 04-25-22, 06:38 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Your original post is a little ambiguous, so I'm listing the assumptions under which I'm providing my feedback:
1) You "stink" after cycling.
2) The odor is not residual odor on your cycling clothing from previous rides.
3) This odor is not present when working out in a gym.
4) The odor is not persistent after showering.

Personally, I notice that my body odor is different depending on the ride. For rides spent mainly in the aerobic or lower zones, my body odor is basically concentrated eau-de-noimagination, it isn't unusually smelly it just smells as if I haven't taken a shower in a few days. For hard rides with significant time spent at LT or higher levels of effort, the odor is quite different and more stinky. The difference you notice between that present after cycling and that present after a gym workout might be explained by this . Differences in diet, obviously, can also affect body odor - going on a ride the day after a meal heavy in garlic, for example, can result in body odor that is different from normal.

I wouldn't be too concerned, people smell after working hard. If you're offending anyone's sensibility then that's their problem, IMO. Maybe try a ride at an easy pace, and see if your body odor is significantly less, to see if the level of effort is causing the unusual level of odor?
Old 04-25-22, 06:44 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
no, what is it about dial that helps?
Doesn't necessarily have to be Dial, but they make anti-bacterial soap. If nothing else has helped, worth trying. No loss if it doesn't work, still have useable soap.
Old 04-25-22, 06:55 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Sorry, just a follow up:
I'm not an exercise physiologist, so others on the board may be able to help more than me (and correct my errors), but: excess body odor could indicate you're getting into ketosis during your rides. While this is not a bad thing in moderation, if you're going into ketosis during every ride, that is not a good thing - you're riding too hard. Consider planning your rides to do more aerobic and recovery level efforts, and do harder rides at planned intervals. Obviously, for us duffers, it's hard not to go into Z4 or Z5 when we hit a difficult hill, but try to get back to Z3 or lower as soon as you can after your climb. Using a HRM (heart rate monitor) during rides can help to maintain discipline.

Again, I know just enough about this subject to be dangerous, so take my post with a rather large grain of salt and do your own research.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.